Register now to get rid of these ads!

is "the look" more important than the driveability ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Jul 25, 2012.

1. slammed

slammed

Proper brakes, does not over heat.....as long as it does not look like Garbage can lid with pizza pan wheels.

2. deto

deto

i second this

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

down here if you tried to drive for too long without something to drink,it would be one with the ER when you got heatstroke, The off topic daily driver even being a 90 has zero holders, I just got those things that hang over the window edge, I think they've been around since at least the 50's so they would be traditional, anyone know when they were invented? just wondering. I hate air too and it's not in my project nor will it be, but I had to fix it in the daily, when you can't see where you are driving due to the sweat in your eyes,it becomes an issue

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

5'10" was still average height as of 2005

And they added that 1/2" in the last couple years..

I believe it is, everything I've seen still lists it, even had the conversation with my Dr. recently.

And for the record, I like to drive them, at some point the car has to function as a car.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I suppose you're right. The weather down there is probably hotter than up here in New England area.

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. I'm fixing the factory A/C in my mild custom Buick, because I'm a pussy...and I like having some pussy riding in the passenger seat that's not sweaty and stinking to high heaven...

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

They go hand in hand with each other for a driver car. Why have a car you can't frive and enjoy, not good in the shed or on the back of a a trailer. Sometimes you need to compromise and remember that it is not a new or modern car and won't drive and/or handle like one either; that's part of the appeal and fun. I'm 5'11" and a large build and get in and out of my phaeton in a certain way due to layout and door openings, works for me

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

"That's a fucking rat rod in action - not a hot rod and certainly not a traditional hot rod."

I have yet to determine the meaning of "traditional hot rod". A more precise term would be " 19XX period correct hot rod". Just because a certain style was built in your lifetime and the fact that you admire it, does NOT make it "traditional". Like it or not, hot rodding is an ongoing evolution.

(this is a generic post, and not aimed at anyone in particuliar)

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You've been here for 6 years and you don't get it? Wow.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I must be getting old as I want it to look decent but be drivable and some what comfortable since I would want to be able to drive it a reasonable distance as I do not own a trailer,I just watched a episode on my ride rules on the speed channel and there was a copper model A 2 door with a early olds rocket that looked nice but looked very uncomfortable to drive. If I were to buy something like that it would have to be cheap since it would be coming back apart to be made drivable.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

RRRRRiiiight, like your gonna be able to pull pussy that dont stank... not even in a limmo my friend! :D

14. You must be looking in the wrong places

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

My goal is to have a '30 Roadster that is a period perfect 1962 build, a car I "Could Have" built back then. If I finish it in my lifetime fine, I'll worry about the ride when it runs, looking at the project is what makes me happy. How often do you actually drive them anyway? Bob

17. squirrel

squirrel

I drive mine a lot. I guess if you build it so it isn't any fun to drive, then you might not drive it much. If you never get it done, then you never drive it.

18. I haven't made a scientific study I am just going by how many chins I talk to these days. But being average is way better than being short I suppose, I can take my hand out of my shirt now. :D

Well I do think that we have different taste in hyde. I would say you can drive em up here and I'll take 'em but I just can't handle the beatings any more. :D

I really don't think that A/C or no A/C is a serious problem one way or the other. If a car came with an A/C then it should work in my opinion. On the other hand if you are running radio delete maybe an A/C unit kind of defeats the purpose.

This is where me come across a major distinction in function, and purpose for that matter. Someone once said that customs were for getting women and hotrods were for loosing them. In my experience that has been true for the most part, the exception being the missus. I think that a custom depending on the era should be heavy on the creature comforts. I also believe that a real hot rod for all intents and purposes should not be heavy on them, if it limits performance it needs to go.

Now all that said my days of sitting on a couch cushion on the floor or a tractor seat have long past. I am prone to long miles (always have been) and I do like to be able to sit down without wincing when I get there. My interiors have a tendency to be minimalistic at best but I do like to get myself seated in a fashion that I can drive it and drive it hard from here to wherever. I have learned that pain causes fatigue, I am one who maybe has learned the hard way that driving fatigued is not optimal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  19. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I drive the Buick as often as I can, as opposed to the many muscle cars I have built that I didnt because I was scared to death of getting rock chips, door dings, theft etc. Too much fun driving it to leave it sitting at home and nobody will park near it let alone want to steal it :D
    Only problem with the Buick is the original front seat is so soft and unsupported that it moves more than the car, taking a fast turn wants to throw you out the window even though the car is taking the turn fine. So I need to firm up the seat and finish wiring up my secondary vacuum pump for the wipers, tech info on that low buck fix to come.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think 99.9% of the time the car gets looked at, I'd rather have a car that looks good in the garage or driveway than worry about how it drives. The best driving cars are unaffordable and sitting in a drealership. :rolleyes:Bob

21. I feel ya, I haven't even got mine back from paint and I'm already scared it's gonna get door dings if I drive it to show my buddies at work.

22. squirrel

squirrel

Get a hammer, whack the side of the car, get it over with. Then drive the piss out of it.

23. I was married to a woman that.
    Change “car“ for "woman“ and that's the story. Double eyes rolling.
    Fun to look at and that's where it stopped, eventually that isn't
    as much as you thought it was.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've had the '30 Roadster body since 1962, yes, it is a slow build, I just think having it finished and a driver will be a let down after all these years.

25. You could change it up every winter

26. the major point to remember is nobody goes about building their car with the goal of making it as uncomfortable as possible. the car gets built to the style and look with as much comfort as the craftsman can do or afford while keeping it to his look.
    unless your some masochistic sycho like Billy Cristal's character from s.n.l..

27. I dated a girl like that in highschool. She was a whole lot more fun to dream about than to actually take for a drive.

Which brings us back to the point of the thread. Some cars have the look or at least a look but quite simply not functional or drivable. More fun to look at and dream that to actually climb aboard and give it what for.

29. I can't agree with that.
    Some cars are built from the outside in, looks first then try to make the necessary components fit into the shape or stuck onto it. This makes for the basis of this thread. Also a plan like that can get you into unsafe and/or RR land real quickly

Some cars are built from the inside out, functionality and components first with the shape or look built around it. Also the basis for this thread and some really trick innovative solutions that are well thought out. You can have both but there is no way to create a quality product from a series of poor ideas.

There's a huge difference between the two,

30. you missed my point which was; discomfort is not the goal.