Register now to get rid of these ads!

is "the look" more important than the driveability ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Root,,yeah,that's the right answer! HRP

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Amen.

3. its a hotrod.im chopped and unchanelled,with a baby rear z and none in front.z's kinda...ehhhh not my thing.mines is only slightly uncomfortable,but it looks bad ass seeing a era looking car cruising

4. Weasel

Weasel

What is the point of building a car that kills you with discomfort? Cars were built for smaller people back then and iti is a struggle to make them ergonomically functional, to ride and handle well but if carefully planed it is possible. I spent over a year just planning the ergonomics on my Willys coupe - small and cramped and I did not want to be peering through the blind quarter. Careful planning now means that it is very useable with enough legroom, decent if not superb visibility and rides well....

5. That POS in the Rat vs Lambo video was a joke.
    It got stuck high centered on a drive way, over heated, ran out of gas, and shook fillings loose.
    In order to drive it, they had to keep one foot on the dash to keep them in the seat. Real smart.
    The drivers ears were only a few inches from the rear tires in a sedan.
    Couldn't keep up with traffic due to poor handling and bad manners.

That's a fucking rat rod in action - not a hot rod and certainly not a traditional hot rod.

Why anyone would try for that look is beyond me.
    I think it was elpolacko who thought they might be trying to emulatethe look of a competition coupe but they don't understand what it is that makes them. I supposeif you squint real hard while highly intoxicatedyou can find similarity to comp coupes.

6. the look is important but if to achieve the look you sacrafice safty or a mediorcum of comfortability and it ends up in a vehicle thats not a pleasure to drive regularly then it isnt a vehicle that worth owning or driving

7. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I'm 6'4 239lbs and I really thought that I wanted to get a t bucket of sorts because the top was off and I could have the head room...well, I found one around the corner from my house that a builder's son was building. Looked all mean and everything with it's suicide front end, and quick change rear end with big'ol tires on the rear. I already had an old 235 that I had customized and was going to install for the look that I wanted. Pissed and moaned with the wife for several weeks (and a couple nights on the couch showed her....) and then decided I was going to go for it. Went over there a couple of times for the "walk arounds' and then I decided I would sit in it for the first time and wave my wad of cash (cashier's check) and start the haggling. Realized real quick that the head room was outstanding...and it was a really good thing because I was practically standing up in it when I was sitting down. Crushed my dream of owning and building a bucket and also crushed both me knee caps. So, for me...yes comfort is a big deal. Heck, I can always keep trying to make something cool.

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Hell NO! What good is a car that's not fun to drive? If it ain't fun to drive you built it wrong. If you are just a little bit smart and not lazy you can have both. A well built car always has a good stance and gets looks.

poser<SUP>1</SUP>
    n 1. a person who poses
    2. Informal a person who likes to be seen in trendsetting clothes in fashionable bars, discos, etc.

9. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

I took a ride in a buddies rod last week that he built for him. He's about 5'9" and he fit fine but it was so chopped, channeled and lowered that it was a struggle for me to get my 6'4" 245lb frame in. Once I was in, I was biting my knees and I couldn't see out. He said it was better in the driver seat but with the door closed, I wasn't able to get my foot on the clutch much less see out the windshield.

I'm not mad at him, he built it for him. It's just not a rod that I can even get into.

To each his own, I guess. Like others have said, build it for yourself. If you ever sell it or you buy someone else's, it's buyer beware.

10. Gator

Gator

Not to me.

11. I don't think that is correct. I get around the younger set and it is common for girls to be taller than 5'10". 5''8" to 5'10" is real common for my generation so I am guessing that the mid century male thing is close. I have never really been considered to be tall just average @ 5'10-5'11". I tell everyone that I am 5'11" just to make me feel better. :)

The Ol' Man was 6' even and he was considered tall for his generation (born in the '20s) my grandad was 5'3" and he was average for his generation, or so he said (mid to late 19 century).

I guess if I had an A sedan I could shop and chanel it to the max and still be comfortable because I could lay down to drive it. I may have to have a periscope to see out but then form would follow function wouldn't it. :D

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm 6 foot and about 165 pounds...I can fit into and drive anything.....But for more than a half hour ride I want to be comfortable.If you feel wrong you can't drive anywhere near the "edge".400 HP is great unless you're so contorted in the cockpit you can swing the wheel and manage the foot pedals and shifter.It's also dangerous for obvious reasons.
    But drive what you like even if looking like a woman stumbling along in those super high heel fall down shoes :D

13. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

x2!

14. Here is something to think about if looks were more important than drivability then there wouldn't be some many posts about my insert auto of choice here is overheating what can I do about it. I mean it looks good now lets make it drive right?

15. . But drive what you like even if looking like a woman stumbling along in those super high heel fall down shoes

Not all the girls can pull that off. But the ones that can - its nice to watch them strut.

16. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

MRS. MAGNUM is not very tall... 5'2" & when I won a poker tournement last time in Vegas... she asked if I'd buy her a pair of shoes... a pair of 5" lace heals...

mmmmmmmm.... lets say that one is misleading, doesn't look like it would be comfortable ride, but the looks actually help the destination... it was worth it :eek:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. Truckedup

Truckedup

True,but she can't do any performance work in those shoes.I mean running fast and climbing,not the other "performance" :D

18. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

My current Truck looks rad, rides good, stops good, Doesn't hold much fuel, cant haul anythig, seats two,ya gotta drive slow over speed bumps, goes threw rear tires, but that is the price ya pay. I drive it every day. Works for me

19. Tha "LOOK" is more important,if you just want to "LOOK" at it! Drivability is what it's all about,IMO.

20. I used to think,the lower the better. But,after drivin my Merc for 6yrs now,I raised it up 2 1/2" in the front and 2" in the rear and most people don't even notice the difference. The MAJOR difference is in the ride! WAAAAAY more comfortable to drive now. Hard to believe a couple inches would make such a difference. Taller/softer front springs instead of shorter/stiffer ones. Added one leaf back to the rear and no blocks.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I think the function trumps drivability and should dictate the look. If it's a hot rod, it should be built for speed. So no air conditioning, power windows, cup holders, or anything of the sort. Does that make it less drivable? Maybe. But that's what a hot rod is to me.

That said, build it to suit YOUR needs/wants. Just giving my opinion since the question was asked.

22. Gromit

Gromit

Hmmm I drive my cars daily for all purposes... The must have cup holders or they are not drivable. :)

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you want an example of no function, I watched my ride rules last night, guy had a hot rod built by someone in Japan, see throwing cash at it, ugliest thing I've ever seen, I mean horrible, and it was so poorly made the steering broke during the drive by the other contestants, whats the point if you are afraid driving it will break something? One of the other contestants put it best "put it back on the trailer!" :D

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a guy with a very low full fendered 32 was asked how the ride was being so low with such a tiny amount of suspension travel.

his answer: "It rides as good as I want it to look".

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you don't have air here you better have a cup holder, r you will dehydrate to death driving, even if it's one of those ones that hang over the door sill, nothing wrong with not having air, but at least put something in yo hold a can .
    the car originally linked in the first post might be the one I was talking about, made me throw up a little when I saw it

26. You can bet your butt I'll have a cup holder,,,, awe fuck now the hell am I building.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

lots of ones in late model cars that you can push to close, they fold up and slide into a slot, should be easy to hide and completely functional

28. squirrel

squirrel

I have one of those on my old computer. I think it was made by the 4X company.

Anyways....

[​IMG]

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Not for me. No air, no radio, no cup holder thingy. Nothing, except total oneness with the rod and road. I find the road so much more enjoyable without any distractions. If I need to drink, I pull over at the nearest deli.

30. pictures?