Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Silver traditional??? Time to pick a color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by born2late, Dec 6, 2004.

1. born2late

born2late

Its time to pick a color scheme. I have been talked out of black as it won't show all the custom body mods I have done. I hate most metallic colors on rods (this is not a custom). A bright silver has been tossed around in our drunken bench racing sessions and I wanted to throw this our to the pros for input. Here is my vision:

Body: heavy metallic bright silver--not large flake, just a course metallic. (if you have a favorite paint code, pass it on). Chrome deluxe grille, headlight bezels etc.

Interior: Oxblood Red with silver dash and chromed garnish moldings.

Wheels: Radir tri-rib
    Tires: Diamond Back single redline. (yes, no, cool, gay???)

Engine Compartment: Bright red engine block and accents. Lots of polish and chrome on everything that unbolts.

Black Frame, Black suspension, red rearend.

Thoughts??????

2. slammed

slammed

Car is? Fender's? Photo-chop.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Chrysler had a silver in the 50's that was pretty popular. So ,yeah I would say so.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Yup, makes a big difference on wether it's a Model A hiboy or a 6o's Chebby. Yes on the Chebby. For instance...
    [​IMG]

5. born2late

born2late

Sorry, some more details would help I guess. Full fendered, stock roof, raked stance, pretty low in the front, no bumpers, tail pan of my design, shaved doors and trunk, shaved side molding, welded hood, maybe some louvers if I can get the dent out of the hood with no mud, stock swing out windshield with stainless trim. No pix, no digi camera. Maybe Santa will bring one!!

6. born2late

born2late

I'm thinking of a 60's Corvette that was Silver with a red gut and lots of chrome as inspiration.

7. slammed

slammed

This a '39 Ford? With those Redline's and 5 spoke's, the hot rod look may shine. The silver will show the fender/door gap's, so be prepared for much fitment work.

8. Slide

Slide

It sounds like yer headed for kinda 60-s looking... and the way I hear the old guys talk, people painted their rods similar colors to what the factories were spraying at the time. So, yeah, silver was on a lot of cars as a factory color... but you might give some thought to "silver-ISH" colors. Like maybe an icy blue or minty-lime green. I have seen some cars in the old magazines that were painted like this, so...

But then they would have painted the motor dark blue for the ice-blue body or forest green for the green color above. Interiors would have been black and/or white.

Personally, I'm kinda diggin the idea of the redlines on radirs with the ice-blue theme.

9. I don't know the code, but Mopars of the last three or four years have a kick-ass silver with a real heavy metallic look. My dad had a '49 Ford coupe in '61 or so, painted metallic silver; looked bitchin'!

10. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

For what it's worth the new Hot Rod mag has a few silver cars and in the editorial it was remarked that silver may be the new red as the catch all car color.

11. Otto

Otto

Funny. I am going through the same thing right now with my 39.....trying to choose a color. I change my mind all the time.
    Mine has no body mods and will be running a 392.

I was thinking silver as well. When I think silver cars, I think of early porsche silver with red interior. I have always liked that combo. Looks classy and ageless.

I saw this pic of Ryans coupe and I can't get it out of my head. Sleeper and sneaky shine runner look. I told myself I would not go black, but this thing really got the hampster running overtime up in the noggin'!

Attached Files:

12. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

metalic purple, no hood, checkered firewall, red enginge

13. DrJ

DrJ

I think silver is "the new beige", or "medium metallic blue".
    Unless it's two-toned with something bright, like the mentioned red, or any bright color either as a two tone or an accent on the wheels and interior.

If you're using the Radirs, some "muscle car era color like '66 Chevy's Nassau blue, twotoned with the silver would work.

I always liked Ford or GM silvers over the light to the point of looking anemic early Mopar silvers.

About silver.
    The design studios use it as a "neutral" color to paint their design idea models and prototypes, because it "dissappears" and according to them doesnt influence the shape of the car one way or another.
    I don't know if tht is good or bad or what you wanted to hear or know about silver, but it's what it is.
    Wife works in the model shop at Honda and they paint all their prototypes silver. sometimes they paint them all the colors they plan on selling them in, in succession too but silver is the norm.

14. 38pickup

38pickup

I am a fan of bright red.....

[​IMG]

15. Silver? Traditional? Well, I remember a hot Model A roadster that was finished up with aluminum barn paint. Loked pretty good as I recall. For the late fifties at least.

16. repoguy

repoguy

Who cares.

If you like silver, paint it silver.

17. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

In the late 50's t-birds, maybe fords too, had "gunmetal grey", I always liked that color, you don't see it every day.

18. Muttley

Muttley

This one rules:

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My personnal opinion is it doesnt belong on pre 50's cars.

yuk.

20. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

vw and porsche had a killer silver in the 50's . porsche also had a good bluish silver.

I am not a big fan of silver because as said above it really has no look. but it is your car.

when i ran a body shop and people wanted to look at color charts i would tell them instead to go look at new cars to pick a color. after they found some thing they liked we would go threw the book and find the tone of the color they liked.

21. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    when i ran a body shop and people wanted to look at color charts i would tell them instead to go look at new cars to pick a color. after they found some thing they liked we would go threw the book and find the tone of the color they liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good suggestion...
    There's no point in picking out and falling in love with a particular 50's color only to find out no one makes the toners (or you can't legally buy them in your state) that make it up any more.
    That's the case with the '60 Chevy metallic copper that is originally on my '60 Elky and Travis' Impala.
    find a new car color and get the paint code off it and use it without modification. That way when you get hit and need to match it, you will have th code to have any paint store make up another batch of it.
    Like, for instance, my '40 GMC is painted '91 Geo Metro "Competition Blue". It's just like the grabber blue they put on cars in the 60s though.

There's a really nice gray/silver on last years Honda S2000 (Not this year though) that looks just like clear coated sandblasted steel. It's the third darker shade of silver they had out of four silver/grays, but not as dark as the typical "medium metallic gray" you see on sedans. You might want to check it out.

22. The first year Chrysler came out with the "cab forward" '95-'96? they had a warm silver that was really chunky. With the Oxblood and red that would look really nice.

Since the Radirs and redlines put it in the mid 60's maybe that dark teal they used to paint GM cars, kind of a nice contrast to the redlines. Black vinyl interior and satin black dash.

23. SirVette

SirVette
    from TX

[ QUOTE ]
    Chrome deluxe grille, headlight bezels etc.

Thoughts??????

[/ QUOTE ]
    Silver is said to have been Bill Mitchell's favorite color.
    He did a lot of Corvettes in silver.
    What works w/ silver is chrome & aluminum. I had a 7Os silver Trans Am w/ T-Tops that had chrome sides & aluminum turbine style wheels, etc. that looked great. (red interior)

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

SirVette.
    Glad you have decided to join in. But please post an intro and fill out your profile. Did you read the heading when joining? I'd advise you to do this and it will tell you what we are all about.

25. born2late

born2late

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Interesting the comment on the silver paint for the design studios models. I will have to think on it. The ice blue idea also has my wheels turning. I got my Cragar Raders (Radir tri-rib copys)tonight. I threw one on the back. What an inspiration!!!

26. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Go for the gold!!

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless it's two-toned with something bright, like the mentioned red, or any bright color either as a two tone or an accent on the wheels and interior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're running mags, you might consider painting your brake drums the same red as the engine and interior. I think the car will look great that way.

That being said, I think dark blue metalflake would look awesome with the Radirs and redlines. That, IMO, would call for white brake drums. I've always wanted a Deuce roadster with exactly that combination running a 3x2 389 or a fuelie 327.

28. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Anybody have the real scoop on when metallics became available. I love gold and silver cars and even dreamed about my 35 in metallic but it just seems sort of wrong in my gut.

That picture of the silver rod sealed the deal - it just looks horribly confused as to its age- like an old lady in low rise jeans with a pierced naval- sorry to get so graphic . . .

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Weren't most Mercedes 300 SLs and 300SLCs silver?
    I rest my case.

30. TimBob

TimBob

Worst case you'll have a good base for kandy.

Post a pic with the wheels if you can... did you get 15x8's all around? Debating on some for my driver.