Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is overheating a cause of oil to turn black?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, May 20, 2010.

1. Is overheating a reason for ur oil to turn black in a short amount of time? I rebuilt it several years ago. drove it for a couple of months and stored it. Had to pull the pan off so I drained the oil and instant dark oil. When u put in on ur fingers its dark dark brown but pouring looks black. (overheating is a problem I can never seem to fix on my cars.

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

The blackness is carbon (soot) from the cumbustion process.

3. But my new car didnt even have darker oil until about 80,000 miles and its still not that bad. I dont even think i drove the car 3000 miles. apreciate it but dont fully understand, r u saying its normal?

4. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I'm not clear on this...

How often do you change oil ?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some brands of oil get dark in a very short period of time while others seem to stay clear in color for quite a while. Years ago I ran Penzoil and it always seemed to go dark in short order but that was the nature of the beast.

The engine would have to get pretty hot to cook the oil and turn it dark and you probably have a fried engine to boot.

It your engines are truly overheating or running "hot" I'd be checking to know why. Many guys think that if the engines shows any temperature above 180 it is running hot and with most newer engines that is just getting up to operating temperature.

6. duste01

duste01

To be even more specific, its the fact that gas-"oline" on a molecular level isn't the best "complete" burning fuel and thus why we run timing before top dead center so that the gas molecules have time to ignite after being shocked into oblivian by a spark plug. If it were an excellent burning fuel that it completely burned, there would be no hydrocarbons left over and no soot being added to the oil as it ran. And you only thought the Shwans truck only ran specials on frozen foods! They run they're trucks on propane which is cleaner and a more complete burn...blah blah blah

Get it?

7. Newer cars- fuel injection "better fuel control" as compared to old cars-carburator "poor fuel control". When running carbs if they are not set correctly any unburned fuel can and will get passed the rings into the crankcase. Same goes for vapors when running and shut off.Cold starts on the choke also. Just change it more often and use a good quality oil.

8. Andamo

Andamo

It might have been rebuilt, but that doesn't guarantee it was done correctly. It sounds to me like the rings never seated and your getting blowby into the crankcase. Other than ripping it apart again, I'd just do as the others have suggested and change the oil, and the filter, more often.

9. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

But having worked for Schwans in a previous life, let me assure you they are less than ideal sources of power. lucky to get 55 on a down hill on the interstate in one

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

If it gets hot enough to effect the oil ,that is one of the worst smells there is .after running a engine real hot its best to change it,and I don"t care what anybody says some motor oil brands turn darker faster than others.tried alot of brands over the years and found that Pennzoil works best at least for me,every 3,000 miles oil and filter change.also a cheap filter will make oil turn dark quick to because its not doing its job.kinda like Fram,damn did I say that,yeah I did.

11. fish3495

fish3495

Do you have positive crankcase ventilation?

12. No lack of zinc I think.:rolleyes:

Getting dirty is the cause of oil turning black.

13. What part?
    thanks duste!
    I have a breather on one of the valve covers and another one which had a hose that went to....Dont really remember.

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

If you have the original engine and was never rebuild you will have black oil after a few hundred miles . The oils back then were not the best and would cake up from the parafin and turn black in no time . Your oil is just loosening up the crude in the engine .
    Now if you overheated the engine so bad that you cooked the oil , then you have more problems then just black oil .
    I do agree with the different oils but if you always just have clean oil then the oil is not doing the cleaning job it's suppose to be doing . Also don't use those cheap shitty Fram , Purolator and the other cheap filters you find in the local parts store and Hell Mart . Buy a good filter like Wix or K&N . Those will do a much better job of filtering your oil .

If you have an overheating problem then a electric fan will help but you shouldn't have overheating problem at all . They always worked fine before so there is a problem in the cooling system . A fan shrould will help a lot and maybe have your radiator needs flushed out real good . Vinager & water works good at a 1/2 & 1/2 mix with water and run for about 20 mins .
    Can you tell us what oil filters you use and the brand and weight of oil you use ?

Retro Jim

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I put some graphite / moly additive in the oil of one of my cars in college - it turned the oil black in short order. And forever after it also turned the next new oil black. I guess you just can't get that stuff out once it's in the engine. Perhaps the previous owner used something like that? Gary

16. David Chandler

David Chandler

Check the compression. Like it was mentioned above, the rings may not be seated properly. If you have only 3000 on it, is this the first time it was changed? Did you change it shortly after you got it running to flush the grease etc out? Also just for the Hell of it look at the filter. I had a Datsun that after I changed the oil and drove it until the next change, that the filter was clean as a whistle. My guess was that it was bypassing it entirely.
    Good Luck.

17. I need to get or make some sort of fan shroud because i have read without one a engine can overheat. The filter i cant remember at the moment and the oil not really sure. I wanna say castrol or penzoil. But I could b wrong. This is a project that i have been neglecting for a while so u know how that goes. Im sorry, next time im there ill try to post it.

18. And i did not change the oil after i started it. Can u check compression on a motor thats not in a car?