Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Nostalgia Top Fuel Dying out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1961, Feb 16, 2012.

1. rfraze

rfraze

There is a lot of information in these posts. What is the history of how fuel dragsters were paid in the 60s and 70s? Same question for since then. Thanks.

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Mickey started paying out with savings bonds ($25)and a case of oil besides the trophy, X number of trophies got you a jacket. Racing was eaiser back then and with so many tracks running 4-5 days a week it was just a hobby back then. Only when word got out about some Florida hillbilly was running better speeds then the west did some car club pooled their money together to bring his car out to the west coast to prove the times were legit. Isky held the money for Garlits, and the rest is history

3. Agreed! I missed the 1960's fuel era but, did not miss the 1990s nostalgia movement- Bakersfield, Palmdale, Pomona and Phoenix. It was wonderful. I just watched a copy I have of a few NHRA episodes of the 3rd and 4th California Hot Rod Reunions of the mid 1990s and so glad I attended and how they influenced me.

4. Yes Bruce, That is the story we were told. I am sure the passing of Jack Williams running Famoso had something to do with it as well as the later owners apparantely did not want the GG's there anymore.
    Am still remaining optimistic that things will cycle again and future opportunities will come up.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Bruce, did you ever get that tree trimmed? Lippy:D

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Yes, and its close to that time to do it all over again

Attached Files:

7. modelAslingshot

modelAslingshot

Guys, I'm new to the Hamb. My name is Marc and I'm a racer... lol Current new project is a 168 inch, '30 Model A bodied digger. Oh, AND it will be street Legal. I live in North Alabama, so there are No Inspections and almost No DOT regs.

8. modelAslingshot

modelAslingshot

Currently searching for a 354 or 392 to build as a blown gas mill.. any help will be appreciated..