Register now to get rid of these ads!

is my rear end too fat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mixedupamx, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

any one know if the chevy chevette rear axle shafts are a constant taper design like other GM's or are they straight with a taper at the splines like a ford or mopar? looking at using one for a nash metro project but will need to narrow it and dont want to spend the bucks for replacement axles. also does anyone know how long the torque tube on the chevette rear is?

2. squirrel

squirrel

the torque tube is short, only goes half way to the transmission. It's half torque tube, half open drive.

I don't know what the axles look like but I'd be really surprised if they were ones you could narrow, that's not how GM did things at the time.

3. what are you using for a power plant chevette rear isn't very strong

4. If all your after is the 4-lug narrow a 8" ford and redrill the flanges and drums, chevette rears are junk!

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I once used a Chevy Monza rear end in a Bantam I built.. I had 'Mosier' narrow the rear and they were surprised that the original shafts could just be cut off and re-splined.. I would think it would work great for your "Metro" if you can find one....

6. Deuces

Deuces

I ain't sayin' a word....

7. squirrel

squirrel

I once used a Monza rearend in a Chevette I built. The torque arm made up for the open driveline....

8. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

planning for a 2.8 v-6 with 2 bbl carb. just a cruiser not a hot rod.

9. I used a V-8 monza rear in a V-8 73 datsun pick up once..since we are off topic ha ha.

10. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

OK OK I knew i'd get comments with the title but has anyone out there had a chevette rear axle apart far enough to know if the axles are tapered or not.:confused:I found one close by that is cheep and seems to have what I need.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I guess you'll find out when you buy it, eh?

You could look for a chevette forum, I dont know if the cars are popular enough for one to exist.

12. Search "ratrod", they're about the same in engineering talent...

Cosmo

13. Deuces

Deuces

I used one for a V-8 Vega build....

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

15. squirrel

squirrel

16. I once did an impulse buy on an old mail jeep rear axle because it was cheap and narrow. After looking at it one day while sitting in the garage I decided that was exactly what it was, cheap and narrow, and nothing that would last in any thing but a mail jeep.