Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is KOA still in existence?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Do it!

chryslerfan55 and OG lil E like this.
  2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

After a certain time, trademarks are abandoned. You might check on procedure,

Roothawg likes this.
  3. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Well said @Moriarity, CCR is the only true Kustom show left. I try to support all shows that have any thing to do with traditional Kustoms. I’m a lifer at KKOA and remember when we drew 800 cars to Oak Hill Park in Gettysburg. Times change unfortunately. KKOA Maggie Valley is coming up in May 2021.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. Hey Root, is this the Merc you're talking about? It was owned by Don and Priscilla Mann out of Oklahoma City. We covered this car over on the W.E.H.T. thread a while back. It was #118. I wasn't able to find any good pictures of it to include in the thread, but I saw it on a video and the car is righteous for sure. Sadly, if you read through the post a little, you'll see that @Sancho discovered we lost Mr. Mann just over 5 years ago in January of 2016. E

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-88#post-12596517

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I want a fender badge....

OG lil E likes this.
  6. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I like how Kevin does it at CCR. Submit your pictures to see if it Meets the standard, and allow 200 maximum. Respect the years cutoff, and donate the show revenue to a very worthy cause. Everybody has a good time, and it’s a very enjoyable time, no stress. Anybody mentioned for any award are picked by the people and attendee’s. The Cars are the Show, put the mix of people are the highlite. Some of the nicest Car people gather in Indy.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s it! I knew it was well done.....we couldn’t figure the grille out. That helps!

It was a really neat car. The only thing that stuck out to me was the billet leather wrapped Lecarra steering wheel. The guy that was driving it was probably in his 60’s with a long pony tail. I spotted him as he got out of the car, but I didn’t wanna be a groupie. I hung out waiting around the car, but he disappeared.

It had a fender badge that said Mann, I looked at the registration slip in the window and it matched, so maybe it was his son?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    54delray, chryslerfan55 and OG lil E like this.
  8. Yeah, sometimes a car that is just about perfect can miss the mark just by adding the wrong wheels, paint or even the wrong steering wheel. A lot of times I try to overlook the short comings and concentrate on the strengths of a car, which I admit can be tough to do.
    I don't know if Mrs. Mann sold the '51 after Don passed away, but maybe this was the new owner or possibly a family member. I've seen pictures of Mr. Mann and he didn't look like the pony tail type. E

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Hellfish

Hellfish

We did that for 10 years at the Hunnert Car Pileup. We did our best to turn away any car that wasn't a traditional hot rod or custom. It wasn't easy. It took a team. It made some people mad. But it was doable.

10. John B

John B

I've seen that trailer setting there the last couple of years and have stopped to see if anyone is around. Never any luck. I don't envy them any trying to get it going again. The biggest concern I'd have is the people who paid for a lifetime membership in the past. I figure if you buy an organization such as KOA then you buy their obligations as well. So you'd be providing services to those members without any compensation.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I edited my post. I think it was his son. I’ll try and track him down if I see it out again. The wheel would be an easy swap. I know as folks get older (myself included) things tend to get less important. Sometimes if it’s functional, it’s close enough.

54delray, chryslerfan55 and OG lil E like this.
  12. LOL

KEMP= Kansas Example if Metal Punishment :D :D :D

@Roothawg I think they still have a big shindig out there in Kansas. You may ask @Tim he keeps up with that stuff.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

The early KKOA shows were a lot of fun . Last one we went to was the Maybe Baby show in Shelbyville Tenn. Had a good time.

straykatkustoms and williebill like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@porknbeaner he's not talking about kkoa in Salina. It’s some other organization I haven’t heard of

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. atomickustom

atomickustom

OP was asking about KOA, Kustoms of America.
    Last I even heard of them was 20-30 years ago, mentioned in a magazine, and I believe George Barris was somehow involved.
    It has apparently been defunct for years.
    Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yes it is. I classify cars for our 250 car show that our club puts on. Stock, modified, customs, pickups, old school rods ect... People will lie to you and say their car is stock when it isn`t. We are standing their and it looks stock, except for the highly chromed out motor with the hood closed. Pissed off more than a few people.

54delray, Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

9BB0C79E-D2E3-4FFD-9293-A17876666916.jpeg This is actually the flyer I got from the KOA when I talked to them in September 2020. They have a nice trailer set up at James Dean every year.

Sancho, chryslerfan55, John B and 3 others like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow, stuck in 1984. Looks like they need some help in the illustration and marketing area. When I saw that, I thought "That's cool that he still has that from back in the day."

19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I would love to see a traditional custom organization start up, too! I'd join and be behind it it 100%!

Roothawg likes this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

From an add in the ISCA yearbook from 1986. IMG_20210330_0001.jpg

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just think, all those hotties are 65 now.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Just my age!

So is KOA still in business or not? They have lost their trademark, they have no website, and the membership application looks like they've been photocopying the same one since the 80s and instead of reformatting it with the latest contact info, it is just written in.

54delray likes this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

If it's not trademarked, it up for grabs.

54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So call them. Maybe tomorrow. It`s 10:30 in Indiana.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well maybe I'll see some of you at the CCR in a week.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I might try and make it @zman. It's gonna be dicey, I will be in Cleveland for work, but that's a pretty good haul. Maybe come over Friday night and check it out on Saturday then drive back.

zman and Moriarity like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'll be there

Roothawg and zman like this.