Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is it worth the price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, May 6, 2020.

1. exterminator

exterminator

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Probably but the no title would make it a no sale for me.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^^
    x2

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Title issues are a pain in the ass... And risky if the vehicle were stolen at some point in time.

5. belair

belair

Depends on how hard it is to get a title in your state, and every state is different. Go down to the courthouse and see what kind of hoops you have to jump through. Please don't start another thread on " How do I get a title?" Car looks clean, how hard are the missing pieces to find?

6. If virtually every uninstalled part for it is there, maybe. No title is a biggy, and the slant six drops the value considerably (20% according to NADA). Proving once again that rare doesn't always equal desirable...

7. squirrel

squirrel

I would pass. No title is a non-starter for me.

1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I guess the seller gave up on trying to get a title.

wvenfield likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No title = no sale.
    Even then, it's not worth $7500. Needs lots of parts and lots of work.

That car will be for sale for a long while.

Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. It’s a neat car .

The trim and interior doo dads would kill you to find as most of that’s ruff ain’t reproduced.

the price is good.

IF you can get a title for it.

if not it would be a huge pita.
    Cool car I would drive it.
    But big ol’ Plymouth wagons with slant 6’s ain’t really hot cars now are they ?

wraymen likes this.
  11. I don't have any idea on the asking price.

If you're interested in the car: Get as much registration information as you can, call the California DMV main office in Sacramento and ask them (not the HAMB) if there will be any registration problems.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About a year ago I bought mt '54 Ranch Wagon from a car guy in the LA area with only a bill of sale. BUT, thanks to info posted by Gimpy here on the HAMB I only took the chance because the seller had a registration card from 1972 for the car. With that crucial document I was able to have a local registration service come to my house and verify the vin. She completed all the DMV paper work and I never had to set foot in the DMV. In short order Sacramento mailed me a certificate of title in my name. It was still a gamble but it all worked out. If I hadn't had the 1972 registration it would have been much more complicated. That said, without some type of official documentation I would pass on just a bill of sale but that's just me. You may feel its worth the risk and potential DMV nightmare to pull the pin.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

IF that car looked like the first photo it would have been sold by now, jigsaw puzzles are tough to move, nothing was improved after removing all those parts. Bob

5window and 62rebel like this.
  14. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

About titles:
    I have two cars I bought in the 70s, had here all these years in a barn to fix up one day. I couldn't find the titles, although I had them put away somewhere. I called our DMV, and all the hoops and money was ridiculous. I was talking about it with my insurance agent one day and he said he bought a house with detached garage for his agency and there was an old car in the garage he needed rid of. I followed what he did at the DMV...there's a car (my case two) on my place I need titles for. They were there when I bought the place. DMV said no problem...fill out a paper with serial number and make/model. Fee was $10. I had to post an ad in our local newspaper for two weeks. Ad under legal announcements. After that waited another two weeks. I received titles in the mail! Easy peasy.
    I have since found the original titles.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have gone through the title process a number of times and found it to be relatively straightforward. But there is always risk. I'll take that risk if it's coming from somebody I know, or is a basket case or something that's been sitting on a farm for 40 years. The odds are good.

But red flags wave when it's a nice car. Why is a nice car untitled? This thing looks pretty decent, and at some point somebody put time and trouble into it. Now it's being unloaded without going through the titleing process? What's the story? What do they know, and what don't they know?

True story from my youth: Stopped by the service stantion where a buddy worked, and there sitting in the service bay was the boss's old T-bird convertible. It had been stolen 3 years previously. But now here it was with a nice new top and rebuilt front steering. The story? Turns out a guy had bought it without a title in Spokane, fixed it up, and then brought it to the State Patrol for title inspection. Car was returned to the owner, my buddy's boss, complete with all the nice new goodies. It had been stolen as a nice car, and came back an even nicer car.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Just my opinion, but he is asking a boatload of money for what many people will see as an undesirable body style. On top of that it will be difficult to find parts for and then you add in no paperwork on top of the already bad economic situation, No way.

17. Securing a title varies depending on the state.
    No title, unknown if all parts are with car, would be enough for me to walk.

18. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I will never buy a car car without a title again. Also cars that are titled as a antique and are heavily modified.

19. What a boat! I love it! Tittle situation would make me look else where though.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. That's a lot of car for that little 6 cyl. to move along. Not the most desirable body style and with no title, I would walk away.

sawbuck, OLSKOOL57 and Gasser 57 like this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Hagerty sayd 34k for fully restored.... that car still needs 30k of work.

If it had a title I'd say they were asking top dollar.. No title to me makes it a parts car. 2k tops.
    Barring all of that, it looks like a great project

Gasser 57, ClarkH and Hnstray like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just food for thought .....how many Model T’s , Model A’s, ‘32’s etc that were built by Henry had a title when they got hot rodded up from way back until now? Hambers own past or present cars ? I know there are hoops , always have been but I bet there are plenty of cars and trucks that someone had to go through the hoops. Great if you don’t have to but it is just a part of our old hobby .

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. That is nice!
    Looks like HD Evo air cleaner lids.

Hnstray likes this.
  25. They put that engine in dump trucks, as long as your not in too much of hurry it will be fine.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. Well .. the number is a Dallas, Texas number. Even though the car is listed in California Craigslist. Maybe for better exposure ??

Call the number, & talk to the guy.

A bill of sale is a mutual disclosure, notarized statement of sale .. witnessed, with identification.

I use a title service if there isn't a title. Both times I've had to .. the seller met me at the closest title office .. & had their bill of sale notarized there. Both times the seller paid the titling fee. "Negotiation".

Once that was done .. my part comes. Clean VIN or not ? Lucky for me .. I buy no title cars from people that just misplaced theirs.

Either way .. call the number & find out the dealio. Looks rust free .. & those slant 6's rule. Plenty of torque to move that behemoth. That car is not a common sight, for sure.

Interesting.

27. .......I'm in a hurry.

28. Where is the car? California or Texas? Is the first picture before they took it apart or after they put it together? It it is before they took it apart I can tell you I have trouble finding parts I took off of a car.

Charlie Stephens

29. Just look out your side window instead of the windshield. You’ll think your speeding....roll down the window and look at the ground. You’ll think your flying.:)

41rodderz, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.