Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it worth over $20,000 if it doesn't run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Jun 4, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

I love to check cars for sale here on the hamb and every now and then you see a car for sale that doesn't run for $20,000 or more. Not talking about it needing restoring, but just not running. Does anyone else feel this way or only me? Maybe I am just cheap but would not pay that much for a project that doesn't run- even a 32-34 ford. What do you think?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. With me it would depend on what it is and what comes with the car, Like old Randy Nash use to say about the subject, "You can never pay too much for a Deuce you can just buy it too soon".

I ask myself how nice is the body and is the sum of the new orrare parts worth anywhere near what they are asking.

How about a example of what you are referring too. HRP

3. wildwest

wildwest

I've payed almost that much for non running 32 projects, just depends on whats included and how much you want it I guess? Lets face it, a good 1932 Ford body is 10k-20k or more depending on body style! A decent chassis with no chrome is 10k.....

4. I would pay 20k for a non running
    Duesenberg

56don, The37Kid, raven and 9 others like this.

5. If a car was worth say $30K in running condition, and you have an opportunity to buy same in non-running condition for $20K..I'd be alright with that.
    Non-running, vs without drive train, are of course two different things.

6. 20k for a nice clean body or 5k for a body that needs 20K+ worth of metal work
    If you are not doing the work yourself, buy the nicest example you can afford
    It’s cheaper

7. 34Larry

34Larry

I agree with what has been said at this point, it depends on the car, year, and other variables.:D

8. wildwest

wildwest

As an example, I know where there is a 32 that hasn't run in years. It's not a historically significant car or anything, just a good all henry steel car in a less common, but desirable body style. It ran less than 10 years ago, stored well. I would pay 35k today if given the chance.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I know a lot of guys who've spent a lot more than that on a car they're building, before it was anywhere close to running.

But yeah, context is important for questions like this.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I would rather have one that needed mechanical work than one that needed bodywork, paint and interior. I bought a '54 DeSoto Club Coupe about 15 years ago, good driver quality paint and interior but the seller couldn't get it running. After loading it on my trailer and getting it home, I started trouble-shooting the ignition, one section at a time. Turns out the points had slipped because they weren't screwed down tight. Set the points, fired right up. I drove it for several years until a friend wanted it more than I did and he still has it.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it's only money - if ya got the $$ and want it / need it buy it - I would guess that many of us have passed up on a special ride (running or not) only wishing later that you had done the deal

12. For me the title makes,or breaks the deal.I paid too much for a 32 PU for the condition it was in only because the owner had keep the car registered,and in the system despite being off the road for years.I can recreate a car,but have little luck dealing with state governing bodies.

13. Danny,...that phrase by your buddy Randy just doesn't make sense to me and has bugged me since the first time I read it,;...it makes it sound like the prices on deuces are going down, which is certainly not the case as far as I can see...the best time to buy one is now, cuz that's the cheapest they will ever be..
    does anyone else read it this way?.

neverdun, Thor1 and raven like this.
  14. oj

oj

They may be referring to an advertisement I have on here for Rubadub a '49 Nash custom, it needs a fuel pump - the car just sits covered, I doubt it has been driven a thousand miles in the last 15years so who knows what it actually needs until some confidance testing is done, say 500miles worth. The owner wanted a great deal more, considering the unkown condition etc I talked him down to the asking price.

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid 24500$ plus shipping and tax to Germany for my chopped and channeled y Block powered 34 Ford Hot Rod and it barely run. It had no brakes at all, because someone had mounted a 1" master instead of a 1 1/8".Oilpan was full of water, crank journals rusted, clutch did not disengage and the trans scratched in any gear but 5th. I did a full resto on it along with a lot of bodywork and new paint. Still I think it was a bargain because I did all the work myself and could not have bought the parts here for that money. Let alone do the chop and achieve the stance and proportions.
    So all I had to do is fix the worn spots and give credit to the former builders.
    It still needs a roof insert and some interior, but other than that it is ready to go. Now I have way under 32k Euros in it, and I could not buy a hot rod like that here. So I guess it somewhat depends where you are and what you try to get ahold of....

Attached Files:

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Always an individual perspective. How much $ in the bank account, how much you want it and what are your abilities.

olscrounger likes this.
  17. "You can never pay too much for a Deuce you can just buy it too soon".

The meaning behind the saying is you think you might be overpaying for the car 10 years ago but it was a bargain compared to the prices today, your right the prices for nice cars is not going down.

I know of a car that is not for sale and there have be 2 individuals that have offered 100K thinking they could incite the sale, it just proves that quality brings a premium. HRP

OLSKOOL57, Joemama and The37Kid like this.
  18. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Sure would, depends on the car. Much rather have not running than rusty. Rusted and repaired is never as good as never rusted.

midnightrider78 likes this.
  19. 2019 32 2 dr front left.jpg 2019 32 2 dr front.jpg 2019 32 2 dr rt rear.jpg 2019 32 2 dr side.jpg Yep 32's (original 1's) are like dirt. God ain't makin no more dirt and Henry ain't makin no more 32's.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A while back I drove out to San Berdo to look at a 39 sedan, it was a nice car, in good shape, good paint, nice pin stripping, interior looked good, asking price was 19k. When I got there it wasn't running. The owner had been working on it, trying to get it started before I got there. I told him I was interested, but at the asking price it needed to be running and I needed to be able to drive it, make sure the running gear worked well and it didn't over heat (it had a nice flattie in it, dressed nicely with finned al heads, dual carbs). If it wasn't running he needed to knock several grand off the price. He wasn't willing to budge. I told him to call me when he got it running and I'd come back out. He never called. It wasn't long after that I found my 47 coupe, right here in town about 2 miles from me.

There are too many variables with a non-running old car. If the flattie was junk I'd be several thousand into replacing it. No way to test the trans, clutch, rear end, brakes, way too many possible issues to take a chance like that.

raven and Truck64 like this.
  21. Dirk35

Dirk35

Depends on the car and it's desirability. I have a 34 Ford Sedan, for comparison, My 1949 Ford F1 will never be worth what a 33-34 Ford Car would be worth.

A 33-34 grill that has been re-chromed or a Bob Drake grill is about $2000-2400. You can find rough grills for about $800 and last I priced, it'll be about $1500 to get it straightened and re-chromed on top of that. The front fenders repo from SAR are $1800 (sometimes you'll find decent original ones for about $1k-2k). Repo running boards (good ones) are $1500. If you have original ones, you can get the covers, but they wont be vulcanized to the board. The Body will be around $4000 and up if its not totally rusted. The rear fenders aren't that expensive. That's about $8000-10,000 for just a shell of a car, no frame or engine or work done, just a shell. Start adding the bits (engine, transmission, rear end, front suspension bits, roof filler, window regulators, garnish moldings, door handles, seats, steering, gauges) and it adds up quick.

The desirability of the vehicle, the more parts it has, and more work done and better quality work to get it closer to a driving vehicle will just add to the price.

22. Here's how I interpret it, if you don't have readily cash on hand ("to soon", haven't made your millions in life yet) it seams like a lot of money. Later in life when you have all your ducks in a row with your money it doesn't seem like that much money because it's not a financial hardship to get the money.

23. It's a matter of perspective & priorities.
    My perspective is I love 32-36 Ford Coupes!
    My priorities are house payments, car payments & day to day life on a meager salary.
    Reality is I will probably never own one, running or not.
    Looking at the prices on Deuces , I would say $20,000 is a reasonable price for a non-running 32,
    again it all depends on the condition of the rolling chassis & all the other variables mentioned above.

24. chopped

chopped

$2000.00 crate motor, $150.00 engine hoist. Half a day and you're in business.

Jibs, The37Kid and anthony myrick like this.
  25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

This is like asking how much are you willing to pay for dinner.

56don and wraymen like this.
  26. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Bodywork is more expensive than mechanical work.Id buy a rust free car that needed mechanical work before i'd buy a rust bucket!!!

31hotrodguy and olscrounger like this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the car. We were at a swap meet a few yrs back and there was a real decent 40 coupe on a trailer, It had some small block and auto trans that ran but was not a runner at all. It was $20K, I told my wife I was done. She went and looked it over very close-said it was a good one so I looked too. All fresh CE stuff on the chassis and never driven. I said I would pass-later in the day she said let's go buy it!! OK--she offered $18K and we got it. Well worth the $$ minimal body work-no rust-all pts there-new grill and suspension new glass etc. Turned out great and probably was the best one out of at least a dozen that we have done

Gman0046 and ffr1222k like this.
  28. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I would rather spend 20K rebuilding some old rust bucket than give 20K for someone else's labor and parts. If you are going to spend money at least know where it is going. I think too many guys in their late 40 or 50 have their homes paid for and take out a home equity loan to buy these hot rods only to spend more money getting them to their and our standards, and that is all I am going to say on that.

41rodderz likes this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent $30,000 for an empty steel shell on the American Speed body I built my roadster out of. It didn't even have a frame. Everyone has their own monetary comfort zone though. My current shop truck build I hope to come in under that for the completed PU.

30. My problem lies with the people asking 10k, 15k or more with no pictures at all. Then get pissed or act annoyed when you ask for pictures.......and they wonder why their car won't sell.

31hotrodguy likes this.