Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Ziggster

Ziggster

Came across this ad the other day. Originally, no price was posted, and they have several other bodies in various stages of decay for sale as part of an estate sale coming up. Was thinking of perhaps going, but after seeing what they wanted for this melange of sheet metal, I'm thinking not. Am I crazy for thinking the asking price is outrageous?
    image.png

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You know, you can always go down if it doesn't sell. People like trying a high price at first, it MIGHT sell.

Stogy likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there is a 29 Wescott fiberglass body for sale on here in the classifieds for $4500 so that price seems reasonable for a metal body. Does it have the trunk lid, tulip panel and tail light panel?

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Location, location, location. Might be a good price in Canada, might be considered high in Arizona.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. That seems like a decent deal, to me. And that's CND dollars, too. Which is 2,672.25 US right now. It wasn't that long ago, that body would have been 8-10K...and would have sold

6. Ziggster

Ziggster

I guess I’m going to have adjust my expectations. I think what you see is what you get. I was originally thinking CAN$1500.

chopped likes this.
  7. It's a roadster? It's what 90% of guys want. And what is there looks decent. It's just my opinion but I've paid more for less. The days of $1145.10 (US) roadster bodies are long gone.

8. On the flip side, if you go to the sale and are interested, tell them what you would pay and if it doesn't sell they will likely call you. I have also bought stuff this way. By the end of the sale, stuff (especially large/heavy stuff), the family usually wants gone

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

There is about $3,500 US If you where to buy replacement None Ford sheet metal in the picture , Then there be other say No title !!! In US title has No bearing on prewar bodies , only for chassis & motor .

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

i think that was mine at one time... but it had a 31 cowl.... I sold it for much more than asking.. but then again..... it may not be my old roadster project.That is a very good deal.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

When looking at a body in this shape for the price listed one has to consider what it would cost too pay a bodyman fix up a fresh out of the woods/barn body to this condition.

Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  12. Looks like an original cowl with maybe Brookville doors and quarters...I still think the price is good. But like others have said it would be worth making an offer and see what happens.

Speed Gems likes this.
  13. Ziggster

Ziggster

I’m looking at this from the perspective it is 1/10 the cost of a completed project. Seems like best bang for the buck is to buy something finished or close being finished.

Speed Gems likes this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Buying a stalled project that is nearly finished is nearly always the cheapest way to buy a ride, as long as what has been done meets your standards. If its done in a way you think you would have to redo it to make you happy, all bets are off. Gene

Hnstray likes this.
  15. oldolds

oldolds

If those are new parts, quarters are $900 each doors are $600 each. That is $3k right there. Plus shipping, Plus the other parts. If they are new parts that is about the right starting point for asking at an estate sale.

Jeff Norwell and Hnstray like this.
  16. brady1929

brady1929
    from Mesa, Az

Is it worth it? Hell yes.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Does it have subrails in it? If it does, that seems like a real good price, if the $3500 is indeed Canadian funds. It'd be tough to buy 2 real clean quarters and two equally clean doors for that price.

18. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Looks pretty straight to me, buy it...

19. Ziggster

Ziggster

It’s already sold. Lol

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

I guess that probably proves it must have been worth the price, or at least close to it. Gene

21. VANDENPLAS

VANDENPLAS

I saw that add
    They have a bunch of stuff for sale
    It’s an estate sale
    Looks like they are cleaning up and getting rid of stuff to sell the property.

it’s in staynor kinda out of the way place.
    Show up and see if they wanna get rid of it they will take whatever they can.

I bought my 50 fleetline like that they where asking $8500 I got it for 5 cause I was there with cash and a trailer.