Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it safe to test run my motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Jan 19, 2013.

1. powmia

powmia

So I have been running wires on my '29 for the last 3 days and I think it's finally ready to test. I've done all of the pre checks on the electrical system and all seems well, just have not cranked the motor yet. Would it be safe to crank the motor with these things going on?
    -radiator hoses not hooked up/no coolant
    -draveshaft not hooked up (powerglide)

I only want to start it to check that I have it hooked up correctly and that the motor runs like the guy off craigslist said it did...let me know if you guys see any issues I might run into. Thanks.

2. mike23impala

mike23impala

we run motors on dyno with no trans... so no drivshaft wont hurt it... may piss trans fluid... as to no coolant id say as a rule like a boat out of water less then 2 minutes is safe more your asking for trouble... thats my opinion...

3. powmia

powmia

mainly worried about the pissing of trans fluid

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

So put the yoke in it.

5. metalix_421

metalix_421

agreed with mike dont run it very long.

is the trans auto?
    if so make sure you hook up the trans cooler, if you dont it will spit some trans fluid out across the shop
    also will come out the tail shaft so put some rags down.

6. mike23impala

mike23impala

wire a drive shaft yoke into the rear of trans... if trans stays in park a simple piece of welding wire or such will hold it in fine... then no leak... if you dont have a yoke use drain pan to catch as your not running it long and it will "drain" not spray...

7. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Just slip the driveshaft into the trans. and be sure NOT to put it in gear.

Once again, I typed too slow:)

8. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

just put the yoke in and make sure its in park. you will be okay without coolant for a little test fire but dont continually run it or try to tune it without any water in the system

9. mike23impala

mike23impala

good call on cooler lines metalix... almost forgot a 5/16 brake line looped from one fitting on trans to the other will keepit from leaking there...

10. metalix_421

metalix_421

yup, the floor and wall in my garage will never be the same.

11. Well how long has the motor been dormant ?
    That changes things a bit.

12. mike23impala

mike23impala

i guess we took for granted that the motor was checked to be free by hand, fresh oil, oil primed, and maybe my favorite touch of trans fluid in each cylinder, before firing...

13. powmia

powmia

Thanks for the driveshaft ideas guys, I'll give the shot. As far as the dormancy issue, motor and trans have not been run in about a year, but I've rotated the crank once a week or so to keep it moving. I know it's not stuck, but that is about all I know about it. It is a 250 inliner w/Powerglide. It was completely rebuilt in 09, and I personally talked to the shop that did it so no huge worries there. Any precautions I should take? Maybe some fluid in the cylinders? Anything else?

14. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

I'd loop some hose/tubing between lower and upper rad hose connections and fill with water. even only 2 minutes generates a lot of heat and the heat gets concentrated in "hot spots" (mainly the head takes almost all the heat). without fluid flow danger of damage is there. if the engine was never broke in I would hold off until a 1/2 hour to 45 minute continuous run could be made, at various rpms. or just hold off if coolant system/driveshaft completion is near, and run it then

why chance a good engine, or shorten its lifespan

jmho

dr