Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is it possible to run headers with stock suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by riseabove_xxx, Jan 4, 2014.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I have a 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe.
    I kept the stock front suspension and steering but dropped in a SBC V8. I have the header on the passenger to fit right. But it does not look like anything will fit on the drivers side. The steering arm moves along parallel with the frame and it looks like there is no room.
    I can get pictures if you need. Or if you have pictures with headers on with all stock parts.
    I don't want to change the front end or suspension.

2. synchro7

synchro7

About 40 years ago I put a 327 in a 53 chevy. and had the same problem. A friend said try these, (a set of fender well headers for a 58 chevy). They worked great.

3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

i used a passenger side exhaust manifold turned backwards and the exhaust routed under the oil pan

4. wayfarer

wayfarer

Sanderson makes headers for this exact application.

5. I'm runnin Sanderson headers on my 50 styline with stock suspension and a 327 sbc. Fit great

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. I wanted a pair of Sanderson's for my old 50 chevy with a 406 but they weren't in the budget. I used a 71-72 chevy pickup "twisted rams horn" manifold and had to do some grinding on the manifold headpipe flange and a little on the pitman arm. On really tight left turns I could feel the pitman touch the manifold. Not the best setup but it got me on the road. In hindsight, I'd have been better off to have waited until I could have bought the Sandersons or modified a pair of tube headers.

7. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

FWIW
    We had a problem with the left exh manifold using a Saginaw 605 PS sector on my '41 Chevy with a 350. We found a cast iron manifold with an outlet between the 3rd & 4th cylinders on the drivers side, cut the outlet off and trimmed it for a different angled exit connection. Had a machine ship weld it back together. (I don't know what the original manifold application was.) In any event, it works. A head shop that welds cast iron heads can do the welding for you.

We could have used a right side, rear outlet manifold (puts the outlet at the front) but it would have put the pipe in the middle of the PS pump.

These danged 6 cyl Chevys are tight on the drivers side when you stuff a V/8 in 'em! A Chevy V/8 in a Ford is much easier!

*I know a guy who did this and it lasted 20 years and a lot of miles. Yep, it finally cracked but the crack was in an area that had not been welded.