Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it ok to copy a paint theme? really like this shoebox.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRENT, Mar 17, 2013.

1. BRENT

BRENT

Just wondering is it ok to copy a paint/flame look that you really like? I'am almost at the stage with my shoebox that body and paint are coming up on the horizon and so I have been pondering over different colours.

I found this shoebox that really caught my eye. I know people build tribute cars all the time to honour great builders of the past, is ok to use a paint idea from the present? what's your thought. Choosing a colour is tough, just when you think your set you see something different, but I really like this combo.

Brent

[​IMG]

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

change it up a bit so it's not a blatantly obvious knockoff!

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Especially if you give credit to the one you've copied.

It is a nice design. Go for it.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

He probably copied some car he liked but you wouldn't know it. By the time you do your own interpretation of the flames, on a different make of car, possibly in different colors, yours won't look the same either.

Now that I look closer, it looks like a Larry Watson "seaweed" flame from 1957. So, unless that car was painted by Larry Watson while Eisenhower was in the White House, it was copied off someone else's work.

So yes, it is ok for you to take inspiration from another car, just like everybody else. By the way, Larry Watson's first custom paint jobs were imitations of Von Dutch's pinstriping that fooled his friends in high school.

Youtube video on copying Larry Watson's flame jobs, and how he felt about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfm3VqR6t8

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

5. I dunno does the guy live next door to you?

If you like it paint it that way, unless you are a real pro it is not going to come out the same no matter how hard you try.

6. Imitation is the most sincere compliment? I think an exact carbon copy is kind of lame because this is your opportunity to build your car. If the car inspires you, and you like the palate being used go for it. I would say just mix up the flame pattern a little so it's not an exact copy, maybe consider some striping on the hood or trunk lid?

7. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

I doubt that guy wants you to build and paint a box just like his the reason he did it that was is because it was different from anyone else's .Use some imagination .

Jake

8. randy

randy

We all need inspiration. It's not like that guy invented the look...

Attached Files:

9. BRENT

BRENT

My car is also chopped, so the roof line would be different, I thought of maybe playing on the colour's but that gold on white is hard to beat it really "pops". This car I think is in Japan so Im almost certain I would never cross paths with it.

10. b-bob

b-bob

Choosing color is up there with time and money for being the bigest problem you will have to make on your project.
    Just change the flames a bit and it will be your own design.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think that's more of a vanilla color!

12. daddio211

daddio211

Go for it, but give credit where credit is due. I'd go as far as contacting the owner and compliment his car, stating you want to do something VERY similar.

He may be so flattered he gives you the paint code. He may be an ass and tell you to piss off. Either way, do the right thing and ask for his.blessing.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. You would not know it he copied it from someone. There is nothing new under the sun. Two women wearing the same dress is only a problem if they are in the same room.

14. bobscogin

bobscogin

You have my permission, in writing.

Bob

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's been done forever! There's always a first, but there's also always many similar versions after the first!

16. BRENT

BRENT

Yeah I was wondering that too. If you goto Kustomstyle so-cal you can see the car in their Garage section of the web page. It may be a off white colour.

I think that the flames are very much like Larry Watson "Seaweed Style" like Rusty was saying so I know the theme has been done before. I just dont want piss anybody off. I'll probally change my mind anyway in a couple of weeks LOL. I was really leaning towards Green and Gold or Gold and lighter Gold, something on those lines but using these guys flames.

17. BRENT

BRENT

Thanks man, LOL. I needed that! Maybe that new Jeep colour Rescue Green and Gold,

LOL

18. Sure,it's been done ever since guys have been building cars,,Doane Spencer's roaster has been the idea in many a builders imagination when they are planning their cars.

Look at all the Graffiti '32 Ford coupe clones,the 2 lane black top 55 Chevy's or the "California Kid" clones.

The list goes on. HRP

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Those flames are excessive and too busy for any ride..i would do a subtle yet effective watson style paint job which highlight body contours,flames tend to smother the ride and you lose the flow and body lines of the car,you just end up seeing flames.

20. I think it's reminiscent of the car Bad Bob had a few years ago. HRP

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thats woman talk, you know, they get angry if another woman wears the same dress.

I think it would be very cool to have two cars that look the same. We could cruise together!

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Very true HRP,Did bobs shoebox have less flames?.For me it just seems to cover the ride and draw the eye always to the flames,which maybe is just me but the car seems to get covered and you miss whats underneath.I like less is more approach,but the question remains should it be copied?..I would be original and refrain from a copy, injecting your own ideas into your ride is a good feeling.the situation may occur in which you will always be answering questions from people who ask" i have seen that before,another guy did that paint job,did you copy that?"..

23. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Yea they should make a kit you coud just bolt on so every car can look the same no imagination or personality necessary then every one could cruze together .
    Good call

Jake

24. BRENT

BRENT

I sort of agree with what your saying, I'am not running any side trim which gives the box a very slab side, the trim tends to break that up. I did my 49 convertible very conservative combining Crestliner chrome and two-tone theme. This time I want to go in a different direction with the 50.

Brent

25. I also subscribe to the less is more myself. HRP

26. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

exact copy = dumb---same theme ---got to get inspiration somewhere...

27. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I suppose the bottom line here is do you see a flammed shoebox or a shoebox with flames?

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, give credit to the original.

4TTRUK

29. XXL__

XXL__

When using a copy machine, the copy is always a slight degradation of the original. Instead of copying, take the concept and make it better. Make it your own. And that car is a great looking one to parrot.

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

very well said and on the money.