Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is it my generator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charles MacEachern, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Charles MacEachern

Charles MacEachern

She runs everyone! And is running WELL. Kind of embarrassed to be posting this, but it was the spark after all. After placing new plugs, wires, grounding, battery cables, oil change, and marvel mystery oil lol.... She is running like a brand new car. Instant start up, beautiful shifts (hydromatic), and even glides on the faster roads. I've actually never gotten her so fast!

Thanks for all the guidance hambers, really appreciate getting her back on the road.

Suddenly I'm thinking the electrical "ghosts" her previous owner spoke about were just piss poor maintainence issues. I bet they'll be gone! The 6th spark plug wasn't even in correctly. Loose! That and the wires were burnt in places AND missing their metal plugs in some.

Bet I could even run lights no-issue. Something I was told not to do being a 6 volt.

Happy Weekend everyone.

2. theboss20

theboss20

Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

run the lights all you wish. your 6v sealed beams are wonderful lights and the system was made for it

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would still put a meter on the battery while its running to see exactly how many volts the generator is putting out,I check all mine a few times a year to make user the charging system is where it should be.

5. Charles MacEachern

Charles MacEachern

Hey Jeff... So what exactly does that process look like? I have a volt meter ready to go. How do I do this check? Thanks!

6. theboss20

theboss20

Just attach wires to the back of your voltmeter...one black for negative and one red for positive...use #12 ga. wire...start the vehicle and touch black to negative...red to positive on the battery and read the voltage...should read 7.2v...you may have to rev the engine up just above idle to get a proper reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just touch the terminals on the battery with the meter and see what the voltage is,its been years since I had anything with 6 volts and should be around 7.5 volts.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Spool up the motor up to a fast idle around 2400 with the headlights on and any accessories like the heater blower.

9. Charles MacEachern

Charles MacEachern

And if all goes well, the 7.2 shouldn't fluctuate , even with all the accessories working? Thanks guys!!

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

and, if you check the battery first before you start it, you will see what the battery has, like maybe 6. sumthin, and then when you start the motor you can see first if its charging at all, then rev up abit to what it will put out. then, turn every thing on and see if it can keep up. it should, your dad drove around at night, in winter with the lights on and the heater blaring, and if he was a bigshot maybe even a radio and the battery never went dead from too much draw if its all working

Truck64 likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It will sag some under load, but it needs to stay in spec. Find a manual that lists the voltage and current specs, the charging voltage output is also temperature dependent. A cold battery has a higher internal resistance and needs more juice. Remember to use an analog voltmeter.