Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it just me?Or are you guys more creative,when your broke?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Jul 24, 2004.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

The last year or so has not been the best times finacially for me in my life.Ive even wanted to feel sorry for myself a few times,but thought better of it.I thought to myself,hey,there are so many people in this world,that are far worse off than me,and if your gonna be broke,what better country in the world,than the good old U.S. of A. to be broke in! So I jumped in over my head and decided to build a T roadster to take to the Hamb drags.It had to be done on a tight budget,without taking money from the normal family budget,because it just wasnt there.So having way too many projects and parts,left over from when I felt things were going real good,that I knew I would never get done,I started selling everything,I could ,to come up with the money to build this thing.Ive never built a car,just starting with two pieces of tubing before.So I decided to do a T, because its a simple car to build, right? Wrong!Ive found there are no simple cars.Lucky for me,I had Choprods, to help with,some of the more difficult work to be done,Im just a half ass mechanic/toolmaker.It would have been a lot smarter to just buy one,finished.But with no dough,it wasnt happenning.But hey,I would have missed out on all the late night sessions,of cussing and yelling at myself,my family saying,wheres dad? and dont forget all the injuries incurred along the way,scrapes,cuts,burns,ect!And its still not done.As I write this,Im still way deep in the building session,but I will be at the drags with this thing,even if I have to drag it in there behind a tow car.Drags takes on a whole new meaning,right!I thought having less cash to work with,would be a bummer,and it is!, cash is like coke,"THINGS ALWAYS GO BETTER WITH CASH!" But you know what? Life goes on,even if the the cash cow,has been under the weather a little. Ive had to be a lot more creative,building this thing.Had to use whatever I had laying around,even though,I knew there was a better way,and that I could have just purchased,that part,instead of having to make it,from whatever.Yes its not 100% traditional, but guess what? Its gonna run and drive,and Im gonna run and drive the HELL out of it and have a great time doing it.Well right now,Just wondering if anyone else felt the same,about this subject? Ive actually got a good vibe about this car,proud that its come this far,on such a small budget.Ive had to do a lot more thinking and be much more creative,to build it,but I feel a lot more confident,from having to do this.Ive thought about posting this for a while,but Ive been working,and now I guess Im looking to you all to give me that,extra boost I need to get this thing to the drags.May be that Ive have learned what real hot rodding was like,in the old days, just do what you can,with what you have.And its not so much of always wanting what you dont have,as it is being thankful for what you do have.So Ive come up with a qoute for the hamb weary-"when the moo la stops flowing, its time to get off your butt and get your rod goin!" Yes its hard work,and you will have to sacrifice, but driving a hot rod is good for your sole and you will feel better when its done.Speaking of which,mines not! So its back to work,so am I alone in this line of thinking or do you all have similar thoughts? I will check back late tonight.Later Reggie.

Attached Files:

2. I think too much cash takes a lot of the fun out of building a hot rod. I mean, how much pride can you take in dialing a phone number? Here's Reggie thinkin about his situation... He's the one jammin food in his mouth...

3. k9racer

k9racer

Yes its true. Now that I am retired I am always broke.

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've become very creative! Hahaha
    I don't usually buy anything for my projects.
    Ohhh....I buy tools when I can, stuff to improve my home shop and raw materials to fabricate things when I need them but spending big BIG bucks on premanufactured car stuff is out of the question.
    I like to find old stuff and reuse it...sometimes for a different purpose but reuse it none the less. The quest for parts is as much fun as the building itself for me.

I'd much rather hear, "Your kidding...You built that yourself from scratch!?!?" than hear someone ask..."So how much did you say it cost you?"

The trade off is time itself. I'll never be considered a speed builder but I don't care...I'm selfish!
    This is all about ME having FUN!
    And thats all that matters. [​IMG]

Bill

5. [ QUOTE ]
    Is it just me?Or are you guys more creative,when your broke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this helps explain why so many Gold Chainers drive unimaginitive Cookie Cutter cars.

Creativity is a foreign concept,to many that don't have it.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

The part that will make you smile is when there are 20 guys standing right next to an $80,000 "show car" and they are all looking at your $2500 T project. That's when it is all worth the sacrifice. [​IMG]

7. Greezy

Greezy

Wow Reggie that thing is looking great. Yes I believe you do get more creative with the lack of funds. If you need any thing for it let me know, Ill see if I can help. My progress has stalled do to lack of time, anyone have a creative idea on how to get more time? [​IMG]

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Just spend more money Greezy! Simple! [​IMG]

Bill

9. DrJ

DrJ

It depends on what you call "broke".
    If you mean you're going to the swap meet like an automaton with barely enough money to get in, or spending the money that should be paying the past-due utility bills on car parts broke, then you've got no business "playing" with cars at all.
    If you mean you have enough excess capital after paying the household bills and feeding your kids, to buy tires and the actual parts cars for parts, and welding rod and gas and cutoff wheels etc. for the basic essential fabrication equipment you need to MAKE STUFF, but that's all, then yes, out of necessity, you GOTTA be more creative.
    Like, what's the premium on a pair of the "necessary" '36 Ford rear radius rods?
    What can a Po-boy do to get around buying them?
    That's using-your-noggin instead of your money building.

10. Assdragger

Assdragger

Looks good Reggie!

I tend to use "there`s always next year" when I cant have just the right parts to get done.I think it`s just an excuse so I can explain why I`m not farther along. At least your not sitting on your lazy ass watching TV! [​IMG]

Who gives a !@#$% if you car has all the COOL parts, the over all package WILL be cool because you built it on a budget, you didnt sacrafice your food and nessecities AND you built it the traditional way....with what you had!!

Keep going...I`m impressed!! Respect, respect!

Later-Tony

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Reggie your roadster looks great and your post encompasses the hot rod spirit. I can afford to buy various stuff for my hot rods. But I much prefer to make the stuff. So much more satisfaction and in most instances I can produce a piece that is better that what can be bought. I think for me the actual build and fabricating of stuff for my hot rods is more rewarding than actually using them. And it doesn't even matter to me these days if people don't even get to see the stuff I do. I did it for my own pleasure, not necessarily the rest of the worlds pleasure! Geoff aka Whodaky

12. 47lincsled

47lincsled

Every thing I've ever built has been done that way,and they've all been daily drivers,it helps to have your own little junk yard. Bob.

13. Even when I have extra cash, the hobbies must pay for themselves. I'll buy a whole 70s GM car for $100 just to get the 10SI alternator and sell everything else for a profit. I will nickle and dime stuff together that way and have $$ for the stuff that's needed.
    Today, while workin' on the SR500 bobber, the old tabs, with nuts welded on, were reused for mounting the plate for electrical stuff. Cut off metal can even be pressed into service as filler for gas welding on the same part. Gauranteed to be compatable! [​IMG]

14. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I wish I had the money to JUST be broke...and hence, creative!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ha Ha Ha...glad ya FINALLY decided to show that thing off, Scarliner...I didn't wanna let the Cat outta the bag for ya...so I wudn't sayin' NUTHIN'!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

[ QUOTE ]
    The last year or so has not been the best times finacially for me in my life.Ive even wanted to feel sorry for myself a few times,but thought better of it.I thought to myself,hey,there are so many people in this world,that are far worse off than me,and if your gonna be broke,what better country in the world,than the good old U.S. of A. to be broke in! So I jumped in over my head and decided to build a T roadster to take to the Hamb drags.It had to be done on a tight budget,without taking money from the normal family budget,because it just wasnt there.So having way too many projects and parts,left over from when I felt things were going real good,that I knew I would never get done,I started selling everything,I could ,to come up with the money to build this thing.Ive never built a car,just starting with two pieces of tubing before.So I decided to do a T, because its a simple car to build, right? Wrong!Ive found there are no simple cars.Lucky for me,I had Choprods, to help with,some of the more difficult work to be done,Im just a half ass mechanic/toolmaker.It would have been a lot smarter to just buy one,finished.But with no dough,it wasnt happenning.But hey,I would have missed out on all the late night sessions,of cussing and yelling at myself,my family saying,wheres dad? and dont forget all the injuries incurred along the way,scrapes,cuts,burns,ect!And its still not done.As I write this,Im still way deep in the building session,but I will be at the drags with this thing,even if I have to drag it in there behind a tow car.Drags takes on a whole new meaning,right!I thought having less cash to work with,would be a bummer,and it is!, cash is like coke,"THINGS ALWAYS GO BETTER WITH CASH!" But you know what? Life goes on,even if the the cash cow,has been under the weather a little. Ive had to be a lot more creative,building this thing.Had to use whatever I had laying around,even though,I knew there was a better way,and that I could have just purchased,that part,instead of having to make it,from whatever.Yes its not 100% traditional, but guess what? Its gonna run and drive,and Im gonna run and drive the HELL out of it and have a great time doing it.Well right now,Just wondering if anyone else felt the same,about this subject? Ive actually got a good vibe about this car,proud that its come this far,on such a small budget.Ive had to do a lot more thinking and be much more creative,to build it,but I feel a lot more confident,from having to do this.Ive thought about posting this for a while,but Ive been working,and now I guess Im looking to you all to give me that,extra boost I need to get this thing to the drags.May be that Ive have learned what real hot rodding was like,in the old days, just do what you can,with what you have.And its not so much of always wanting what you dont have,as it is being thankful for what you do have.So Ive come up with a qoute for the hamb weary-"when the moo la stops flowing, its time to get off your butt and get your rod goin!" Yes its hard work,and you will have to sacrifice, but driving a hot rod is good for your sole and you will feel better when its done.Speaking of which,mines not! So its back to work,so am I alone in this line of thinking or do you all have similar thoughts? I will check back late tonight.Later Reggie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats so cool to be able to take your rod and park it in a lil cubby hole coerner of your garage and work on her there,whereas me i havta store my shit over at a buddy of mines house and pay him rent and park my rides under one of the el cheapo tent garages imtoo am dirt poor,how do you do it man? LOL

16. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Thanks for all the replies,comments and compliments.I had a decent day in the shop,got several things done today.Im kinda working off of a mental list of what needs to be done.I have the "absolutes" and the "if I have time" things to do.Under absolutes,I got the brakes up and working today,but then got off on a "looky" job,that took way more time than I had first thought.So I didnt get as much done as I would have liked to,but I made progress and thats good.Its late and Im tired,so Im gonna get some shut eye.Thanks again to everyone.

17. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">That's a tough question to answer.

Since I'm always broke, I really have nothing to gauge it against, no point of reference, if you will.

RASHY </font>

18. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green">That's a tough question to answer.

Since I'm always broke, I really have nothing to gauge it against, no point of reference, if you will.

RASHY </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha Ha...I hear ya, Brother Rash...but when I think on it...I always get the most DONE when I really AM broke! Thinking back on all of my many and vast past projects...the ones that got the farthest or turned out the coolest were ones I built between jobs while scratchin for pennies!

When I had good jobs that paid real well, I always ended up just driving my cars, and found OTHER pursuits to piss my money away on while the project vehicles sat around!!

Now that I honestly review my 'progress' over the past few months...this 49 Chevy "junkyard clunker" project has turned into one of my most involved project vehicles ever! I mean, I started be doing a complete re-wire in the interest of a 12v conversion, traveled to two different states to drag home two completely different potential engines, installed the first engine, pulled it out and installed the second one, ran all new brake and fuel hard lines, installed a new gas tank and electric fuel pump, made parts like the gas pedal mount, gauge holer, shifter and a bunch of assorted brackets, mounts and small parts, and adapted a swinging pedal from a late model with related booster and master cylinder to the car!

Still to be done are an open drive conversion (rear axle swap with custom driveshaft), front disc brake conversion, some rust repair and final wiring and sorting out the bugs!

Man, I never woulda tackled something so involved if I was working and made decent money...I woulda bought some half assed thing that already ran, done a little work to it, then drove it till I got bored and sold or traded it!!

So, you may have touched on something there, Roger...for some people...like ME, anyway...it's kind of BACKWARDS from what most other "experienced" rodders may preach to newcommers...I find that I do my best work when the chips (and the bucks!) are down, and I'm FORCED to concentrate on the details, making parts I can't afford to buy, and networking with friends to score free or low buck cast-off pieces for the project! If I had a good job that paid well, I'd just BUY off the shelf parts and truthfully, probably spend most of my time doing something else...socializing with friends, going to concerts, etc. It's only when I'm BROKE (money poor!) that I ever really get anything done!

Guess I'm a backwards goofball from the word "GO", eh??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I am definately more creative when I am broke and intensly more artistic when I am deeply troubled.

I also think your hobby should be therapudic, to help you unwind and be a happier person. To this end I also believe it is your family's resposiblity to contribute in some way, even if it means they eat Top Romen once in a while so you can have a few duckets to snap up a bargain on something you need.
    My affliction with cars has been mostly self perpetuating. I usually manage to find enough bargains on things I don't really need so I can sell parts and make money. That has even went the other way and paid the bills sometimes. I didn't have any work the first three months this year and I sold about 8 grand worth of stuff on ebay during that period. It kept me hustling as I only had about $400 in seed money but it got us through. If you are junkyard scrounging and hitting swap meets anyway, you might as well be making enough from your efforts to buy the stuff you need.
    And now that people I know realize that I do ebay I have guys asking me all the time to put cars and stuff on there for them. The standard fee for that is 25% on small stuff and a flat $100 over cost fees to do a car.
    Sorry this got a little off track, I tend to get on a ramble all too often.

20. Guess I'm a backwards goofball from the word "GO", eh???
    Yeah, you could say it that way! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How do you guys get the little quote boxes? [​IMG]

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's MAGIC! [​IMG]

(Just click "quote" on the reply you want to quote, and it will put that whole reply in the white text box. There will be the word "quote" inside of brackets at the beginning of the quote, and the same thing with a forward slash before the word quote at the end of the quote. Delete or trim ount anything you DON'T want quoted, and just make sure you leave what you want between the two quote-in-brackets commands!)

You can then go below the quoted area and write your own text.

22. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I only got about 100.00 a month car money and that goes to stuff I can't do IE had to get my driveshaft cut 60.00, grinding wheels, oil that kind of crap, everything else is scrounged or made with my primitive tools and know how! and of course getting ideas and suggestions from you all [​IMG]

it takes longer with lack of funds but is far more "fun" putting your to quote hack and DirtyT "fingerprints" on your rig with your own

23. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's MAGIC! [​IMG]

(Just click "quote" on the reply you want to quote, and it will put that whole reply in the white text box. There will be the word "quote" inside of brackets at the beginning of the quote, and the same thing with a forward slash before the word quote at the end of the quote.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Kinda like this? Thanks Hack now I'm less inept than before. I just love new skills. They will be abused for a while. [​IMG]

24. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

[ QUOTE ]
    I only got about 100.00 a month car money and that goes to stuff I can't do IE had to get my driveshaft cut 60.00, grinding wheels, oil that kind of crap, everything else is scrounged or made with my primitive tools and know how! and of course getting ideas and suggestions from you all [​IMG]

it takes longer with lack of funds but is far more "fun" putting your to quote hack and DirtyT "fingerprints" on your rig with your own

[/ QUOTE ]

Whyt you paying someone else $60 to whack a drive line down? It really isn't all that hard to do. I have been doing all my own since I was a 15 year old kid and had no choice.

25. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I don't got a lathe?
    how do you get it so it don't vibrate?

the 60.00 included balancing