Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it just me...I can't be the only jack@$$!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

So TWO years later and I have a choice: 1) button her up and drive her or 2) spend another year pursuing perfection. OK, "perfection" is subjective, but you get my point. I'm at the point where I can put body and paint off and drive it the way it is, or tear into body and paint and invest a few thousand more and not drive the project for at least another year.

Did I underestimate the time and money needed? HELL YEAH!! But at this point, I'm looking for time behind the wheel more than oohs and ahhs from onlookers. Anyone else cut a complete resto short (put it off a bit longer) just to drive it and have some fun? Or am I the only idiot who underestimated exactly what it was going to take to get it done "just right"?

2. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Drive it, paint it later.

3. Two edged sword,,you know as well as I do that if you drive the truck as is you are going to come up with a thousand reasons not to pull it back apart and you will never finish it.

Don't you still have something to drive?

Patience Grasshopper! :D HRP

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm going to, just upset with myself for abandoning the original plan. Honestly though, if I don't drive it soon I'm going to go bat-scat crazy.

I do, but nothing cool....

5. dt50chev

dt50chev

Currently throwing my 49 Styleline together so I can drive it to the Roundup in less than 2 weeks. Cutting lots of corners (not safety wise) just so I can have a driver again. Paint and body work can mostly be done a little at a time on a running car, just like we all did in high school. At some point you tire of working on it all the time and just want to drive the thing. I say drive it.

6. You're not even close to being the only guy who's underestimated his project. My 1 year project is coming up on it's 3 year anniversary with no end in sight. Wondering the same thing, thinking I should just get it on the road, but seems like a lot of work just to drive a crappy car. Than again, I've got another project waiting in the wings, and it's calling to me... :D

7. do you have pictures? there are "long cuts" to get the car, up and running.

8. I know exactly how you guys feel,,my 1 year project only took 9 years.:rolleyes: HRP

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

nothin like a good shakedown before the pretty goes on .drive it.

10. Yes and No. I'm kinda in the same boat. I like to keep them driving as much as possible because that's where the fun is at for me. Driving them is more fun than sitting in the lawn chair at the show in my Tommy Bahama shirt, next to my perfect paint, waiting for admirers to ooh and ahh...so I can turn up my nose at them. I know that's hard to believe but it's true!

That being said, I'm at the point on my '58 where I've just about decided to finish the interior and get the outside in primer and drive it for a while. Otherwise I could be dead before all the body and paint is done.

The hard part is knowing where to stop. I have a natural inclination to go for the perfection and as a result it just keeps sucking me in deeper and deeper. I'm currently formulating a plan for less perfection and more fun.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

The link in my signature is the truck I'm talking about. All mechanicals are new including brake lines, brakes, wiring, battery, starter, driveline, suspension, mounts, distributor, alternator is rebuilt, radiator is rebuilt, new tires, new wheels, etc...

I've sprayed the body all one temporary flat color and have even done a little temporary bondo and body work to hide major blemishes. Long term plan is to replace doors, fenders and hood with new reproduction pieces. The planned color is a dark pearl and cannot be painted in pieces, so it's either 12 more months, or drive the wheels off this summer. I'm driving the wheels off....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. Buzznut

Buzznut

THAT is exactly how I feel. What's worse, with all these new regulations and gas changes, who's to say we'll even get to drive them much longer. I'm hitting every show I can...first one is late April.

13. One thing to consider here and I don't mean to sound morbid, but how old are you now? As others have said, a year or two in primer to work out any bugs is not a bad thing and who knows, you are enjoying driving it for those two years. There's no guarantee as to how long we're going to be on this magical orb. Getting older has a way of putting things in perspective for sure. Now that I've depressed the hell out of everyone reading this, I'm sure you're no closer to a decision...........:)

14. jmpowie

jmpowie

The only plus NH has is you can drive in the summer but you have 6 months of snow that you can paint and make it look its best.

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Shiney is not that much fun.

16. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Drive it! I call em' a work in progress!

17. Rocket88

Rocket88

Take it from some one that wasted too many years looking for perfection.
    I finally got my car running late last summer, never had so much fun, now I just kick my self for waiting so long.
    Drive it!!

Attached Files:

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Drive it now and youll never finish it. Chill out, take the time to finish it right.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Drive it...you might find some small items that'll need fixing while putting some miles on it...and you won't have to worry about scratching up the fenders leaning over them...

Tear it apart next winter...oh wait, you guys don't have winter...!!!

R-

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

I live in the Sierra Nevada's, we have winter. You can't do anything outside around here from about mid-November to the end of March. This was a relatively mild winter, but last winter there were times we had 6 feet of accumulated snow. LOL, I think you have me confused with those SoCal guys...

I'm driving it, and will continue to until it starts looking haggard again. I'm off onto my next project, and I can enjoy driving this one during THAT build. Jeez, I think I just discovered why it's a good idea to have two projects at once.

21. Firefly

Firefly

My truck is a work in progress. It is in primer and doesn't have upholstery as such. That said ...... we have been havin a blast in it this summer.

This winter it will get carpet and upholstery, but no panel work or new paint. Will enjoy it again next summer and may consider putting some paint on it the following winter.

My vote is to drive it :)

22. I'm driving mine as soon as I get it in primer/sealer...I'll paint it when I get sick of the primer upkeep.

23. trollst

trollst

All my cars the first year are in primer, thats the year to decide what needs changing, usually nothing, but if necessary its no big deal. Paint it and you have to live with it, besides, the most important thing to remember is.....its a car...a machine built to take you places, not to look at, drive it and enjoy it.

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

It depends on how much time you have left on the face of this planet. Seriously. If you're under 60 & have no serious health problems that might compromise your existence, wait the extra time. If not, put gas in it, charge the battery & burn rubber right out the freakin' garage.

25. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

I have a 57 ranchero project that started in06/07. It stalled for 3 years when I found this 58 I couldn't pass up. I came to realize the body was a waste of time, I found a much more solid one, cut the other body up. So in case I feel like you do in a year or so, I'm trying to save the window gaskets if by chance I drive it in primer for awhile. If you can afford the paint now, do it. Mark

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you value fun behind the wheel more than the oohs and aahs, then you answered your own question.

I'm in the same boat with my truck; I don't give a crap what it looks like, I just wanna drive it before the worms come knocking.

27. thehazguy

thehazguy

Life is short Drive it

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've never finished a project and had it road worthy, so my advice would be finish it and drive it in two years. Bob :)

29. onegalonly

onegalonly

i'm going through the same thing right now. i'm putting i together to drive this summer. i'll look at it as getting the kinks out of it before i go for the finished product.. WHO AM I KIDDING, I NEVER SEEM TO FINISH ONE !!

30. castirondude

castirondude

I'll second this opinion. I usually focus on reliability and impeccable driveability, I.e. my goal is to have all my cars and trailers in a shape where I would not hesitate to drive any of them cross country. Having a top notch paint job, if anything will subtract from that goal

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app