Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Glyptal Engine Paint Worth the Bother

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57chevywagonman, Nov 15, 2011.

1. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have seen porous aluminum castings that leak. In the old days manufacturers sealed those castings with paint or waterglass(made from eggs). Today a better option is super-cleaning, then resin impregnating in a vacuum/pressure tank. Locktite has a process that works well, but there are others.

2. Deuces

Deuces

I think Mobil 1 had graphite in the oil when it first came out.... I could be wrong..

3. Looked inside a couple of Top Fuel motors this past weekend - didn't see any paint in any of them. Sort of sums it up.

4. Don
    You know I like ya right? I am not sure how important drain back is on an engine that gets overhauled every 1320 ft. :D;)

5. Phew, I was worried I was on the Beaner Hate list.

If a main prupose is drain back to control windage and guarnanty oil supply, maybe a 9000 HP motor would have concern :confused:

Either way, it think there are more potential pitfalls for the average engine builder than potential benefits. I think you could get safer results with careful grinding and polishing than paint that may fall off and clog passages.
    I used to race both Off Road and Rally where we would run engines at high RPM in the worst conditions for up to 24 hours straight and we never felt the need for this. Maybe on really old crappy castings, but not on anything past the late 50's in my mind.

6. gear_head

gear_head
    from USA

Thats just too funny. :)

7. I knew you were concerned. ;)

The truth is like I said earlier if you don't polish the inside prior to painting it you are just whistleing in the wind. A coat of paint will cover a multitude of sins if your a body man but a mechanic can't get away with that. Your engine will always tell on you, when everyone is looking.

I think it is one of those things that you do or you don't. All good mechanics are quirky. You do something once and it works for you so you continue to do it that way.

One thing I cannot say for sure because I haven't done any tests is that painting the inside of the block really makes any difference, I can garentee that on an engine that you are going to thrash polishing up the inside does make a difference. But the paint is something that an old timer told me about and I have done it ever since. I don't know what difference it really makes it is just a quirk.

I still don't know what glyptal is, if that is armerature paint then I use it if it is not then I can't tell you that I have any experienmce with it.

8. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

GLYPTAL... it`s not just for engines any more! i have used it in a couple of engines without problems. the blocks were cleaned fastidiously and baked for two hours @300 degrees.

Attached Files:

henryj1951 and Hnstray like this.
  9. My vintage Offy 2x3 intake was done when i got it almost 30 years ago and it is still solidly in place. I watched a guy putting it on an electric motor once, it stayed on the motor permanently and on him for at least a month. I probably wouldn't go out and buy the stuff but I can attest that properly applied it will help keep things cleaner inside your engine. I did it on an old 283 while rebuilding it years ago and the oil would come out darker but not black like it did before the rebuild.

henryj1951 likes this.
  10. David Chandler

David Chandler

If painting the inside was so important, then why dosen't Detroit do it? Obviously if you do it my GE stock in my 401K will go up. So go for it!

11. BashingTin

BashingTin

What I wonder is how would this effect a magnaflux inspection after a tear down? Would you need to completely strip all the paint out between inspections to be able to see possible defects correctly?

12. Whatever paint you use shouldn't be so thick that a crack won't show through it. If you properly prep your block it shouldn't crack. Maybe if you though enough nitro methane at it.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Shit,half the guys here don't paint their body work,so why paint the engine insides?:D
    I suppose just look at Nascar engine builders were doing 30 years ago when stock type blocks were used. They would use any an all tricks if it bettered performance or reliability.

henryj1951 likes this.

14. hey I resemble that remark. I figure if I can get going fast enough my stuff will just be a blur. Wait 'til I reach the speed of light. :D:D

15. Don't forget that we are talking about companies who would do anything to save even a portion of a penny per unit of production to please stock holders.

I know a former Magnavox engineer who tells the story about how the company wouldn't put a screw and washer on each set produced (1/10 cent per unit) that would keep the set from coming free from its base and falling forward possibly causing injuries to buyers until a lawsuit was filed against the company.

16. Welp..I dunnno. I painted the insides of my trusty ol Pontiac engine after I had it hot tanked and baked. One reason was I know the engine will sit on the engine stand for over a year 'till it get installed. Hoping to get some rust protection and I believe sealing the inside of the block helps keep anything in/on the interior engine walls from ending up in the oil.
    As a mechanic I've seen most gearboxes and third members painted with it and some diesel engines.
    If nothin else, it looks cool, eh?

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  17. Yea but what do you know. :D:D

That's not the same stuff as I use is it.

18. Ditto, or you can Die grind the flashing/sand pockets out, otherwise it doesn't do squat.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Old Harley cases leak with no oil in them........:eek:

20. OldTC

OldTC

rotflmfao!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  21. mutant55

mutant55

Well, I am with hotcoupe, and Rocky on this, I always paint the inside of my engines, hell, I paint the inside of everything with it, starters, distributors, rear end pumpkins etc. I have never had any of it come off during subsequent cleanings, the factory's did it on various engines, transmissions, and rear ends, etc also. Personally, I am just a neat freak, and I enjoy the detail of it all during the building process, and it makes for great pictures! All of the "old guys" did it, Jenkins, Smokey, etc, all the old fast guys anyway, read one of those guys books. So is there something to it?? Who knows, but it's just how I have done things my whole life. I think the application process has been covered pretty well here, as with any paint application clean is best.

22. mutant55

mutant55

23. banjorear

banjorear

OK, bringing this back from the dead. Just brought back my trans case and oil pan from glass beading. Any thoughts on using on the inside of the Ford cast iron trans case? Same reason not to as stated for an engine? Stinks, I bought a can for I thought I was doing the right thing.

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use it in my racing GMC's and inside the cases of my 39 Indian Sport Scout was done by the engine rebuilder.

25. k9racer

k9racer

I have bought 2 ovens at yard sales and am having trouble with them holding the weight of my Studebaker block. . When you bake for 2 hours is the oven just pre heated or is this after the parts are up to temp... If I paint will I still need to put Barrs leak in the cooling system. Thank You...

26. Glyptal is used in electric motors as a final insulating coating on the windings. After working in a motor repair shop and seeing the glyptal flaking off the motor armatures, I'd rather throw a hand full of sand into a new motor, certainly quicker easier and cheaper!

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ and other places too...
    Have used it.... For certain engines back in the day... not so much these days...but i might.

28. 56 Pontiac 3rd member with factory gyptal paint 41newthirdmember.jpg

29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, K9Racer;
    I'm ass-uming you're being cute... :D
    No wonder you're having troubles... You need an industrial oven for the industrial-strength (n weight) Stude block. No matter which version it is!
    On baking, it'd be after things are up to proper temp. & don't forget the proper slow cool-down. :D . Or check w/wife or girlfriend... :p .
    Marcus...

30. k9racer

k9racer

Yes cute on stude engine and yard sale oven but not on proper temp and time . Thank You