Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Anyone using Sway bars on there Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod33, Aug 14, 2009.

1. HotRod33

HotRod33

I was reading an article about a model a roadster that Jimmy Shine built in the October streetrodder mag. . It stated that he had used a sway bar off of a bronco II on the rearend of the roadster. It does not have a front sway bar on the dropped axle frontend. I had always thought that you should have a front sway bar when you use a rear sway bar. But the question is does anyone have sway bars on there model A, and if so what are they off of....? I am talking about a dropped axle frontend not a IFS..... Thanks

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Depends on what front end you are using as to if you should have a sway on it or not.
    From what I'm told a sway on the front of a transverse leaf w/ 4 link it will not help handling, but actually make it worse.
    The sway on the rear though will decrease body roll and front end dive during cornering.
    Rembembering what my Bronco II had on the rear, it is very similar to the setups I've seen on a couple of other rods.
    It's about the identical "junk yard" match to what my frame builder guru uses.

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Is anyone using swaybars on their Model A's.....?

4. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

My brother and I built a 30 model a phaeton a few years ago.It's first test drive the body lean was terrible.We used a racecar style,torsion bar type sway bar from speedway engineering.This was a full fendered car with I-beam axle and four bar.We put a spreader bar on the car and ran the torsion bar thru that.It made the car drive much better.It was extremely stable on the highway,didn't get blown around near so much by trucks.I don't know if this style would hide too well on a fenderless car.

5. RAY With

RAY With

Front or rear they controll body roll and one on the rear would serve a good purpose.

6. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

I have one on my sedan that I made. wouldnt drive it without one.

7. My A has a Corvair front suspension, with a 'modified to fit' Corvair sway bar.

To control body lean in the rear, I used a pair of Aeon's. The rear most frame/body bolt holds it in place. It is somewhat like an axel snubber and also discourages body lean.

Here is a link to the maufacturer's site:

http://www.timbren.com/

I purchased mine through Eaton Spring in Detroit. There was an article describing this product in Street Rodder in October, 2002. It's not inexpensive, but seemed to be a reasonable substitute for a rear sway bar. I've had them on for 50,000+ miles.

PM me with your questions, or more info.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. Terry O

Terry O

'31 Vicky gasser will see a lot of street time and I've got one on the rear.

Terry

9. I plan on one for the rear of my Tudor. Small car, one on rear will be fine like guys have said. Body roll and such. I have a CE one off a 40 Ford that never got installed on my 54 that I think will fit just fine.