Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is anyone running a 315 c.i. D-500 Hemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Boehm, Jan 10, 2017.

1. If so I'd like to hear from you.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have a Power Giant 315 from a late '50s truck......disassembled, machined, awaiting assembly.
    Also some other similar Mopar stuff. I have no idea if I can be of any assistance, but I'll try. What are you wanting to know?

Ray

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That should be a '56 model.....'57 were 325, unless they were one of the handful of rare D-501's which used the 354 Chrysler block.

Ray

4. It is 1956...

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I bought a 56 Dodge 315 from a buddy in Wisconsin. Complete except carb. Still has converter on it. Next snowmobile trip up there, I'll bring it home. Been doing some research, but look forward to comments here. Looks like Hot Heads has some stuff available.

6. town sedan

town sedan

Bought a 1957 D-500 out of a Coronet back around 1990. At that time basic rebuild parts were few and far between. Today things are much better, parts are actually available! Still have the hemi, waiting to build it until the $$ and the right car to put it in come along. Sort of fun knowing I've got the biggest little hemi.
    Any planes for your pachyderm?
    -Dave

7. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Build it first. I'm lucky to know a couple of old fuel racers that were engine shop guys. Got some tricks, how to rebuild rocker arms and shafts, valve seats, porting, etc. I just love these baby hemis. And, they fit under the hoods of early cars, like a 32 ! I want a five speed behind it. Thats the next research project, bell housing and such.

8. after 30 yrs of looking at an old 1956 Dodge dirt track car with a hemi in it....determinded it was a D-500 car that was stripped.......motor lost a rod into the pan....found a 270 block I hope to use with the 315 stuff on....

9. andyg

andyg

I got a couple for an upcoming 32 pickup project but like everyone else so far, not a runner yet. But I've talked to several people that run 315-325s and they seem to love them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. AndersF

AndersF

My wife car.
    New restored engine but not started yet.
    [​IMG]

Hnstray likes this.
  11. 73RR

73RR

You can tie up lots-o-cash if you try for too many 'old-fuel-racer' tricks......
    Unless you are looking for mega-horsepower then keep to a street-trim package. If you are looking for mega-horsepower then start with a 392.
    There are several threads in the search button dealing with 5-speeds.

greg32 and stillrunners like this.
  12. What RR said.....think a balancer for the front is a much needed improvement !
    And AndersF nice....like what you did on the motor mounts.....

AndersF likes this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't think you'll have much luck, since the 270 is a low deck and a 315 is a high deck. I found this out the hard way in 1962 when I came across a high deck dual quad manifold for a great price and tried to put it on the 270 in my T-Bucket.

14. Are you talking about one of these little things?
    The Wizzard
    53 F-100  3-19-10 004.jpg

15. maybe milling some or look for a 315/325 block.....have about 4 little 241 Red Rams - one a fresh build with a busted out hole between the freeze plugs.....bought it that way.....the 270 was a runner tossed out and into a pic-n-pull yard...

16. I run a 325 in a Victress. cam, 2 WCFBs, 9 to 1, H Beam rods, good exhaust, ignition, 7 1/4", two-disc, organic lined clutch, Tremec five speed with .82 fifth, 3.70 rear gear. Great runner.