Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is anyone running '35 Ford Wheels and Ford 9"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyford1, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Like it says. I did a search and didn't find anything. Surely someone out there is running this combo. My wheels won't clear the drums.Adapters, rebuild back of wheels? Any ideas would be appreciated. I really want to run these wheels. If there is an old post on this, let me see it.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ford pickups (with 9 inch rear)used the same bolt pattern, I'd check out their drums for clearance to your wheels.

3. Scott

Scott

are these the 16" spokers

4. Scott

Scott

I was having the same thoughts, I think the way to do it would be with an adaptor plate it would have to be at least 2 inches thick, the bp on both is 51/2

5. Nimrod

Nimrod

They won't bolt on a truck rear even with the right bolt pattern because of the shape of the drum. I think you need about a 1" spacer or adapter. I ran some for a while on a passenger car 9" with 1" adapters to 5 1/2" b.p. and they fit perfect, the lug surface made contact with the spacer and the drums contacted the flange on the wheel. I't might depend on the drum though, and sometimes theres ballance weights welded to the outside of the drum where the flange would rest.

6. Ya these are the 16" spokes. The bolt pattern is right, they just won't fit over the drums. I thought about the spacer. Also thought about making a new flange that will fit over the drum for the back of the wheel.Does that make any sense? Has anyone tried this?

7. DanCollins

DanCollins

I had adapters made for the back of the pagan Bros Sedan. it had a small bolt pattern 9" and 17" ford spokes. it changed the pattern and spaced the wheels out, I had them made, but I'll be damned if i can remember the thickness now. There is a guy who sells lugnuts at local swaps here that can make them any specs you need. They worked great, seemed strong enough to do the job.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

The outer edge of the 35 hub hits the outer edge of the brake drum, leaving a 1 1/16" gap. I had spacers made up and used long studs. It worked well on my 1935 Ford worktruck that was subjected to serious strain.

9. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I used adapters on my 35 rims with a 8" - the clearance just wont work without them.

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

Scott, The spacer has to be 1 1/2 to clear. I know because the first time I measured i thought it was 3" so I ordered them only to find out it was toooo much. Any one need some 3" 5 on 5 1/2 spacers ???

Attached Files:

11. Scott

Scott

can we split them? heh heh

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

As much as I paid for them I shure thought about it ! But he gave me a deal on the second pair !!

13. Paul2748

Paul2748

I have the 35 wheels on F-100 drums which would be about the same thing you have with the 9 inch. I got an 1 3/8 inch adapter Both 5 x 5 1/2 so I wouldn't have to use a long stud which in my opinion is unsafe because of the stress. A guy named Fred Goeske makes them up - web site www.wheeladapters.com . Nice guy to deal with and good service. You may have a problem if there are weights on the face of the drum. I did, but ground down the weight a little so everything clears. Didn't seem to bother anything.

14. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I bought Ansen adapters off Ebay to go from the small pattern to 35 wires.
    I didnt corner the market but got enough over the past 2 years to do 4 vehicles. Costs were in the $25-30 a pair range.

No problems with 8 or 9" rears drums.

15. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I had a friend make some for my sedan running 16"35 ford wires and a ford van rear end with 5.5" bolt pattern. they are 1 1/6" thick and we used bus studs that are really big around and 3 inches long if a bus won't break em I don't think my little sedan is going to. we then tapped the drums and bolted them to the drums in 4 places. the holes for the studs are perfect ,in fact you have to hammer the addapters on the studs kinda a pain but at least they dont have slop and it seams as tho someone said o' brian truckers had them for sale if i remember right.

16. Dirty2, that's the look I'm after. I went out to the shop to look at the wheels again and drink about it. Looks like spacers are the answer. Thanks for the help guys. Has anyone had any probs with their spacers?

17. yngrodder

yngrodder

Will 40 wheels bolt up to the 9 inch with 5-51/2 bp without a backing plate??

18. friends model A with 33 wheels, 40 drums to a 9". mated the 9" center of the backing plate to the outer 40 backing plate.

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    we used bus studs that are really big around and 3 inches long if a bus won't break em I don't think my little sedan is going to

[/ QUOTE ]
    Of course, a bus prolly used a whole shitload of them & not just 5...

...but the worry over breaking studs is overstated IF the spacer fits the drum & studs tightly...

[​IMG]

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

I was going to use spacers and long studs but wanted to be able to smoke the tires so I bought adapter / spacers ( 5 5/2 to 5 5/2 ) 1 1/2 thick from lugnut king in Cali I can get you the phone # . He was the least exp., and I really checked around !! 909/376/8018 is the phone #

21. Dirty2

Dirty2

I think they were around $80 bucks including shipping !!!

22. Thanks D2. I may give them a call. Do you,or anyone else, have pictures of your spacers? Just need to get an idea. I can probably get some made.