Register now to get rid of these ads!

IS anyone getting anything done in this heat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jul 4, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Worked out in my garage getting parts ready to go to Iola swap meet next week for about an hour & my shirt was soaked with swet, pants stuck to my legs. Time for shower #2. 6 AM & 80* already today could hit 100 Thurs. Not normal for Wi.

2. druids62

druids62

The first piece of equipment to be turned on is the air conditioner! After years of breathing in crap associated with my trade, humidity is not my friend. I do enjoy the heat though.

3. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I was wondering how far north a person would have to go to be in 70* temps with low hummidity. I guess Canada isn't far enough.

4. hotrodgypsy

hotrodgypsy
    from reading,pa

well after a swap meet/show today..i have to repair a rear diff cover leak that sprung up on a 20 mile cruise in my delivery last night..might also work more on the clutch linkage..gettin' ready for the gasket goons party/show on the 7th in slateington,pa..

5. A tub

A tub

hot , not here in australia, its freezing alot of the time here at the moment, but totally sympathize with you, here summer here is very hot , i put an evaporative in my shed for the hot days works gd and is cheap to run

6. B Blue

B Blue

Not much here. The heat not only slows a person down, it is exhausting. After two or three one hour stints in the heat, I'm done for the day.

Being 70 years old does NOT help.

Bill

7. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not this kid.... I was just eyeing up some un-occupied wall space in my garage, figuring out how big a hole I'd have to cut to fit an air conditioner in there.

Buncha wussies, ain't we? :)

8. Deuces

Deuces

It's gonna be a nice cool 98 degrees in my neck of the woods today.... :rolleyes:
    Guess I'll stay in the house and work on my '41 Willys gasser model... :D

9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I'm69 but must be dead, I'm still working in a metal shed in this 100 degrees days. I have one of those hugh box fans that moves a lot of air, I wear older military T shirts which are very light and airy, and I drink a lot of water, I'm not working a killer pace but I'm getting a lot done. Its always nice to then go for a nice roadster ride to cool off after a long day in the shed. I still don't have an air conditioned house either, an old last turn of the century house, maybe I'm in heaven.

10. 5 am and it's 39 here in Central, Wa. It's been a very cold, strange spring and summer. I actually turned the heat on for a bit. Strange !!

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

i aint getting shit done.my shop was 119 yesterday at 3.00pm. then i went to the store and lost my cookies as i got out of the car. went home and crawled my ass into the house where it was 70.and stayed there till 7.00 at then only worked for a couple hrs and gave up.

12. shop is fine with a fan
    but the house is 85 deg, went in basement to sleep last nite[70 deg] and its supposed to get really hot today:eek:
    i dont even like hot weather:confused:

13. With the exception of my stint in the military, I've lived my life on the Texas gulf coast and have learned how to labor in the oppressive heat.

The key is to work at about half speed, drink plenty of water and take a break to cool down every half hour or so.

If you can move air in the shop/garage, it greatly helps.

There's a reason why the stereotype exists of the Mexican laborer working slow and taking a siesta at around 3 in the afternoon. It's for the reasons I listed above, and at about 3 pm when the heat is the very worst....they don't even mess with it. They find a shady spot and recoup a bit before hitting it again.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  14. Nausea is a sure sign of impending heat stroke.

You came close on that one. Be careful man...overheating can easily kill a person.

15. I'm a air conditioning tech here in Austin, I work out side most of the day, 100' smells like money to me. I'm not even sweating yet

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

My integral two garage is under the house, If I keep the windows and doors closed it is tolerable.

Ago

17. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Sure, gotta pace yourself, and take breaks, and a nice fan, a small refridge on my tool box full of water....hell, it's only 101....new interior in my falcon, almost done...

[​IMG]

18. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Heading out now ... took the week off to get some work done but between power outages and the heat there's not a lot happening. But at least I got the week off.

Was out yesterday from 9:30 to about 3, two window fans one pulling one pushing and the entry door open. It was 100* right before I walked out the door.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Damn.And you guys have flies that have to get plane registration numbers they're so big.It's been 100+ here for the last couple of weeks.

20. kscarguy

kscarguy

I finishing my house remodeling (does that count?)...once that is completed, I am free to work on hotrods again..YEAH!!!

21. Bitching about the heat in the summer is as normal as bitching about the cold in winter...If you're gonna get anything accomplished, then you just gotta suck it up and keep busy....regardless of whatever the outside temps are, I try to do something on my projects each time I go out to the garage...If the humidity is low, then it's a good day to work for hours on end...Otherwise I'll just spend maybe an hour or so working before I call it quits for the day....Temperature extremes really suck !!

22. Still hovering around a hundred here also. No air in my garage, just a small rotating fan. But I am still getting things done slowly. I stop and go for a cool drink often. Actually, I am getting more done in hundred degree heat than I do in the winter in my unheated garage. I can take this heat a lot better than I can take cold weather. I would rather have this than twenty or thirty degree cold any day.

23. ironpile

ironpile

Nothing in the shop, planning and skeeming is hard enough.:(

24. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Way too hot to work on anything. Beer drinking weather only.
    Tom

25. Special Ed

Special Ed

High of 72 degrees here today in San Diego. Just a typical summer day close to the Pacific Ocean.
    I feel for you guys.....

26. squirrel

squirrel

It wasn't too hot yesterday, but I did get something done...I killed the rattlesnake that was under the truck I was supposed to be working on.

27. GREASER815

GREASER815

I like the heat. I work in it everyday on other stuff so when it comes to doing my own its no big deal.

28. Yea, I'm doin' a lot of work on the insides of my eye lids!

29. I Drag

I Drag

Nah, way too hot and humid. My current project is stuck outside in the sun, I can't do more than 15 mins until I am literally soaked with sweat.

I am considering getting up at like 3:00 am and going at it while theres no sun and the temp is down. Seriously.

30. Three days in a row 104,106 & 105,all 3 days broke the record books and it's just too darn hot to be taking chances on a heat stroke.

When I was younger it didn't seem too be a problem but nowadays it's rough!

When I built my new shop I installed heat & air and insulated to the max.

the air is working hard to keep it in the low 70's while I'm in the shop. ,,so I'm making progress. HRP