Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is a 65 Corvair OT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kansas Old School, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

OK guys, Im a little confused, Is a 65 Chevy Corvair off topic? I have been watching other threads on earlier vairs, but never on 65's. Now the big question, if 65's are ok, what about 69's? I have 3 69's and am thinking of rear engine v-8 conversion, and would like to share. 69's and 65's are nearly identical. Just askin

2. barstowpo

barstowpo

I love the idea of rear engined Corvair conversions.

3. I don't have a problem with Corvairs but they generally are not considered on topic on the hamb,,,if it's past 65 it probably won't pass muster. HRP

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. racer756

racer756

Pretty sure Corvairs are on topic , have you checked out www.corvaircenter.com

I have a couple Corvairs in addition to my HAMB worthy cars.

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Corvairs are cool, but more of a dogfight thing than a HAMB thing. I try to think of it like this, the 1964 cutoff should be more about build date, not the year of the car. By the time a '65 model got bought and modified it would be past the traditional era Ryan and the mods try to keep focus on. So sometimes it's fine for later technology and parts to sneak onto a mostly trad car, and things like 65 rivieras and c10's pass through if they are nearly stock and mildly modified, but a late 60's car build isn't really a traditional build in the sense of the time frame focused on here. I rarely post about my '62 galaxie because I figure by the time it got into a hot rodders hands it would have been a few years past our cutoff date here. No hard feelings are meant, everyone here has myriad interests in cars, it's just best to try to keep the focus on pre 1964 style builds.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

thanks for the great explanation, I can see how its probably not hamb friendly

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I owned a Crown Kitted 66 for a while.
    Quite the fun car to drive. Even as beat up as it was, it was a lot of fun. I only did a few fixes and upgrades in the time I owned it.

My brother owned a front engine (350 Chevy) 67. Actually he owned it twice..!
    That car was weird. As you might know (polar moment of inertia), it didn't turn very well. Around town, normal driving speeds, it was fine. But try to push it a little...it just didn't want to turn with all that weight up front.
    The original builder did an excellent job with the build. He used a Camaro floor and firewall.
    Just too bad he couldn't afford an aluminum Chevy and moved it back a few inches...!

I would NOT do a "rear" engine V8 swap. Even an all aluminum engine. Maybe a V6, not a V8.
    The mid engine is the way to go for a fun car to drive.
    Just a previous owners opinion.

Mike

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

When the things were new, they got a fair amount of attention in the magazines, hop up stuff at HRM and development involving even Barney Navarro. If Barney hopped one up...
    Over at Car Craft, Dick Scritchfield did a front engine build! Again, with those people involved, who will say "not traditional"???
    I think all the rodding interest was over, however, by the time the second generation '65 came out. Bottom line was probably simply that they did not have enough displacement to keep the rodders interested, even with positive pressure.
    On the custom front, the aftermarket did offer some traditional schlock, like a tubular "grill", but the traditional custom thing did not really flourish. The main aftermarket approach as I recall was pseudo Euro GT flavored, with suppliers like MG Mitten...More Road&Track than HRM.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yes but just barely. One of those things the mods might let slide if they find the question appropriate and they are in a good mood.

But since you came right out and asked, I expect this thread to be closed or *disappeared*