Register now to get rid of these ads!

is a 4-spoke Bell steering wheel appropriate for 1955?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by docauto, Apr 9, 2008.

1. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

Hi Guys/Gals. When did the 17" 4-spoke steering wheels start being used on rods? I've seen them on 40-50 era racecars, but haven't seen many on early rods. My guess is late 50's to early 60's on SCCA sports cars and then some finding their way onto hot rods.

Thanks

Dave

2. twofosho

twofosho

Anything used on a race car probably found it's way onto a hot rod, and quickly. Even without a particular case in point notated by photo, I'd use it. Don't let the traditional police scare you off from using it.

3. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

Actually, it's already on the car (built in the late 50's), but it's a knuckle buster (against the dash). I like the big wheel, but I'm thinking banjo or 40 Ford.

[​IMG]

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

chester osgood's roadster and the so-cal coupe both ran them pretty early on i believe

i'm working on a track roadster "period 1949" and im using one

the flexible spoked wheels were used on sprint/big cars in the 30's the original ones were made from old saw blades which would flex before they would brake to save cutting the driver in an accident

a banjo or 40 wheel should be the same 17" diameter

looks like a cool car, have any more pictures/details?

Zach

5. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

I found this car about 15 years ago for a buddy of mine, and I asked if he ever wanted to sell it, sell it to me! and he did last year,

It's a typical 29 on 32 rails, early Vette motor and iron 'glide. coulmn appears to be 58-60 chev, rest of the parts are period: early Halibrand V8 quickchange, primarily 40 Ford front suspension, had Buick finned drums (now has 40 Fords). Was built/owned by a fireman, and has had some mods over the years (when found it had American A-spoke mags). I can't find any old pix yet, but I'm still looking! it'd be nice to put it back to "as-built".

6. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I thought four-spoke steering wheels were in the Bell Auto Parts catalogs in the early '50s, and that's where a lot of hot rodders bought parts.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

7. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Dave,good call.
    My 1946 Bell catalog has the 4 spoke wheel in it.
    I have some earlier speed catalogs...but can't lay my hands on 'em..

Oh,and they were $20.00 then.
    (which is $202.66 in todays money)
    So hot rodding is cheaper now !

8. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

Good stuff! Thanks for the input. I thought they were around that early, but couldn't prove it.

Thanks again for the help!

Dave