Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a “boxed truss” worth the extra work on a repo 32 frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, May 6, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Using ASC 32 rails and boxing plates to put together a chassis. Just trimmed the boxing plates in preparation to “step box” it and have welded in the nut plates for the body mounts.

Looking at the Speedway catalog I noticed they use small pieces of steel to build a truss internal to the frame section between the front crossmember and the center crossmember. And they call it a “boxed truss”
    <O:p
    Opinions - Is a “boxed truss” worth the extra work - Since the ASC rails seem to be more flexible than original Ford rails and it will have to support the weight of a 671 blower and an early hemi?

Thanks - Dan

2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'd say it's not necessary unless you're building a race car. People tend to over build street cars, based on how to articles written about race cars.

You don't know how many times I've heard people say "well in order to meet NHRA standards. . . blah, blah, blah". Which is great, if you're building a drag car.

3. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Flex is not necessarily a bad thing. Why do you think they rivited the frames together on the '55 F100? Its so they wont stress fracture. Ditto on the race car comment.

4. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

skidmarks / Zombie Hot Rod / dodored

Thanks for the advise, makes sense. You guys saved me from doing some extra work. :)