Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is 61 Apache X Frame Safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 Rodluver, Jan 22, 2019.

1. 61 Rodluver

61 Rodluver

Is my Chevy 61 Apache X Frame Safe? It does not have the torsion bars. I keep hearing stick with factory frames yet others say swap the frame out??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Keep the stock frame.
    Fix it or reinforce it if needed, but DO NOT replace it with another vehicle's frame.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the HAMB. If you fill out your location on your profile, there are probably local HAMBers that would help you. :)

czuch likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Welcome to the hamb! A few questions for you, to help us answer your questions:

What do you mean by "safe"? A 60 year old truck is not nearly as safe as a new car, if you consider a large fleet of old trucks, and a fleet of new cars. There will be a much higher injury/death rate in the fleet of old trucks.

But that doesn't mean that if you drive an old truck, you're gonna die right away from it. It just means that instead of driving an average of 10 million miles before you get killed, you can drive an average of 1 million miles.

Second...what do you mean by "it does not have the torsion bars"? Did someone swap in a different suspension? or is it just a bare frame, with no front wheels on it? There are lots of ways to read this, if you provide more info we might be able to tell what you mean.

5window and egads like this.
  4. 66gmc

66gmc

Those early 60s Apache frames are just about bullet proof, probably the strongest frame GM ever put under a truck. Dont listen to the frame swappers. You can upgrade the front suspension with a 73-87 front crossmember.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and bct like this.

5. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

"Torsion bars" --> Maybe he means "Sway Bars".

6. I have driven the living hell out of that era GM, cars and trucks. Frame swaps were never popular when I was coming up. Unless the frame was rotted out I would not go looking for another one. Remember this is a utility vehicle, and you are probably not going to overload it. LOL

Jim (@squirrel ) '60-'62 Chevy trucks had torsion bar suspension. Here is a pic of a Jimmy it had the same suspension as the Chevy.

[​IMG]

7. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Depends on what you're going to do with it. Drag racing hard will flex the frame quite a bit. Just a street cruiser will be no problems.

williebill and Tickety Boo like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, I know that...which is why I asked for details about why the truck doesn't have torsion bars now.

APACHE FS likes this.
  9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

In the 60's they were farm equipment.
    Stick with stock.
    Parts are easy to get and quite affordable. You'll be driving sooner.
    Unless its toast, use it.
    Pics would only help alot.

Just Gary likes this.