Register now to get rid of these ads!

is $55K too much for this piece if history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCo_MoFo, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Rusty

Rusty

You got to pay to run with the big Dogs. Besides they are selling bulls and cows for that much

2. JamesG

JamesG

If I owned that car and was wanting to sell i(gasp!), I would put it in a Barrett-Jackson auction. It would probably pull much more than 55 grand.

Just think, not only did Larry Watson fart in that cars front seat, just imagine the stuff that went on in the back one!?

Not to mention the fact that that car is, I think, the reaon Larry was banned from ever possesing a driver's license in the state of California. [​IMG]Very cool daddy-o.

3. Sailor

Sailor

Nope on the driverslisence-thing, that was Watsons car before the T-bird; -the Grapevine.

4. The Harpoon: Thanks for those words about Watson, I have his autographed photo of Grapewine in front of me on my office wall. His 58 T-bird is very high on my list of cars that are an important part of the kustom history.

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

How close is the candy to the original paintwork??????

6. haring

haring

I love that car.

$55,000 sounds inexpensive to me.

7. KoppaK

KoppaK

Worth every bit, history and art all wrapped up in a drivable package, just wish I wasn't so poor. [​IMG]

8. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I sold my 39 for more than that, and it didn't have 1/100th of the history.
    That thing is an icon.

Craig [​IMG]

9. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

[/ QUOTE ] this car IS history not some gay shitbox with DP90 and red wheels...

Ouch, that hurt............ [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

its pretty funny that I had no Idea what kind of car you drove until I saw this reply, and looked at your profile and BAM... I nailed it huh???

I didnt mean to personally attack you slacker, I was just making a point and used the kind of "hot rod" that we have all seen 10000000 times with no originality.

The way it drives or handles has nothing to do with it.The bottom line is it's the RELEVANCE it has in the history custom cars that easily make it worth the $55K. it changed the face of custom cars not to mention pretty much spawning the whole lowrider movement...

10. repoguy

repoguy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And as for suggesting a "nice rice boy forum", may I suggest a nice go fuck yourself? I know an insult when I see one.

[/ QUOTE ]

oooooooooooooooo, you really should know better repo-guy, never knock 50's customs in front of a satan's angel. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never "knocked" anything.

Watson is one of the true greats, and I admire his work. The bird is a killer custom with a lot of history. I just don't need to OWN it to appreciate it.

WTF? I haven't been kicking around this place for the last 2 1/2 years because I DON'T like hot rods and customs. I just like other stuff too. What is so difficult to understand about that? Since when did it become such a sin to like more than just hot rods and customs? I didn't get that memo.

If I bought that car it would rarely be driven, except to shows, and I really don't give a shit about car shows & rarely attend them. So what would be the point? This is a car that needs to be purchased by someone who will take it to shows & events and share it with others, and I'm just not the "ambassador" type.

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

If I had the money, I'd buy it....then tow my flat black porsche to billetproof with it....of course sitting on the candy apple hood at the show while drinking cheap beer would be cool....just hangin with my crybaby doll, waiting for my turn in the burn out box...that tbird would probably smoke em big time...now THAT would be fun. [​IMG]

12. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

"Larry Watson created two new custom trends when he redid his new T-Bird in 1958. By masking off a silver pearl basecoat and then spraying candy burgundy on the rest of the body, he created "panel painting." At the same time he demonstrated that all these longer, lower late '50s cars needed was a wild paint job to customize them. Gary Niemie found and restored the original car with Watson's help."

I sort of doubt that Watson "invented" panel painting. The little mags in 58 had other examples and considering the time to build and magazine lead time Id say he simply had a better public relations agent.

Is it a historic car? Of course and so is everything else built back then and that got magazine or show hall space.

Is it worth $55K? Only to someone with too much money.

13. Hyfire

Hyfire

>>Is it worth $55K? Only to someone with too much money.>>

I sure wish I had too much money... [​IMG]

14. FOR only 10K more you can buy John D'Agostino's 1957 Lincoln the Emperor!! It's on sale locally at an local classic car dealer. I would take the Emeror over that T-Bird any day. I think you can clone the Tbird for very cheap.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

For only 5 grand more i could buy this........ ( 60 thousand )

[​IMG]

I would rather have the Deuce.....

16. krooser

krooser

I THINK that's the very first "Panel" paint job, something Larry Watson invented..that 'Bird set the style for thousands of customs for years.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have always liked that car a lot. It is as significant for its era as the Metranga Merc or the Doane roadster are for theirs.

Personally, I'd rather HAVE either the Metranga or the Doane cars if I could afford them, but I'd rather spend my coins building something new that is an expression of my own ideas and tastes.

Paying $55G for a (significant) squarebird is no sillier than spending that amount for a baseball card or Marilyn Monroe's shoes, but I wouldn't do that either.

Whatever floats your boat...

18. Two words.......
    FUCK YES!

19. klazurfer

klazurfer

We live this "car-thing" , doesn`t we ?? It`s like a dumb, naive thing that probably will die with us ( our generation - Born `30-`80 ) Watson-paint-jobs can be copied , and those `58-`60 Birds aint that exspensive , sooo .. Why nut copy a good thing , and save zum serious bux ?? On the other hand :.. $55big1ns ain`t unfair at all... , But the guy who can afford to buy it will probably nut drive it to often ..; Unless Mr Sailor-dude makes a move [​IMG] ... Do your country a BIG favor, and BUY it !!!!!!!!!

20. ____

____

to that "RATRODDER" who said that its "JUST" a tbird with a 5grand paint job...
    ....well,i guess the hirohata merc is JUST a chopped merc,,the grabowski T is JUST a flammed tbucket with whitewalls...the matarenga merc is JUST a chopped 40 merc,,,the california kid is JUST another 33(or is it 34?) ford coupe with flames...the R&C dream truck is JUST a 54 chevy PU with "fancy" body work..."ol'dads" roadster is JUST a 32 roadster...

...i can keep going on,,..but why bother,,,aparently alot of people dont get it...

im not saying i would give 55K for watsons bird,

,personally because i dont live on that kind of income scale and secondly because ive always thought 58-60 birds look like something elvira or herman munster would drive,,but thats irrelivant and MY personal opinion,.,,,this Tbird is a HUGE part of custom car history,,,

21. Dirk

Dirk

I got to sit in it once, man what a thrill!!!!!!!!

Gary Neime(sp?) was the guy who had it restored. I believe a L.A. tattoo artist had it for a long time before Gary. And if any body knows Gary, you know he does not do anything half way. He(Gary) had a Buick back in the 50's that had Watson scallops(it's in the '58 C.C. annual) that he recreated some time ago.

Larry once told me Girls would reach inside his car as he drove down Bellflower Blvd. to try to get in!

Larry is my hero too!

22. JamesG

JamesG

Another thing people are forgetting is that that very car has actual Barris laid lead on it......that says alot in my book.

23. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

24. Sailor

Sailor

Hahaha, Klaz, -I like that kind of standing up for your country. However I have streched my funds pretty far by entering old-wooden-house-in-dire-need-of-restoration-ownership (a thing I know you can relate too... [​IMG] ), -so Im kinda sitting on the fence on this one. The price is btw not more than people pay for perfect restos from the fifties of cars like 59 Biaritz conv. or corvettes..

25. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] this car IS history not some gay shitbox with DP90 and red wheels...

Ouch, that hurt............ [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

its pretty funny that I had no Idea what kind of car you drove until I saw this reply, and looked at your profile and BAM... I nailed it huh???

I didnt mean to personally attack you slacker, I was just making a point and used the kind of "hot rod" that we have all seen 10000000 times with no originality.

The way it drives or handles has nothing to do with it.The bottom line is it's the RELEVANCE it has in the history custom cars that easily make it worth the $55K. it changed the face of custom cars not to mention pretty much spawning the whole lowrider movement...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hilarious, no offense taken..........and personally, I like my gay shitbox with the DP90 red wheels!!!

-slacker

26. JamesG

JamesG

27. buckd

buckd

That paint job alone at a good custom shop these days could cost 30,000
    Plus it's an historic icon BUCKD

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

not to mention it's a 9 year old thread

29. If I was loaded I think it'd be cool to have in a collection, but there are alot ofnother cars I'd rather have first haha

30. damn, this thread has cobwebs