Register now to get rid of these ads!

is $55K too much for this piece if history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCo_MoFo, Dec 27, 2004.

1. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Larry Watson is my hero.

2. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

[ QUOTE ]
    And as for suggesting a "nice rice boy forum", may I suggest a nice go fuck yourself? I know an insult when I see one.

[/ QUOTE ]

oooooooooooooooo, you really should know better repo-guy, never knock 50's customs in front of a satan's angel. [​IMG]

3. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

way too much, build yourself your own piece of shit and call it history

4. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Wow- did ya'll have a bad holiday or what?
    Rice boy forum? Go fuck yourself?Build your own piece of shit? Porsche? [​IMG]
    There are kustom people here, rod people, chopper people, unicycle people (I know there out there).
    I think it should be bought and displayed- I wasn't joking about the museum. Pretty soon, with the lack of gasoline, ALL our cars will be museum pieces.Including the Porsche. They'll only need one though, so they'll probably crush the rest.
    So what will wealthy older guys drive to pick up hot younger chicks? GERMAN unicycles?
    I guess time will tell [​IMG]

5. I think I'll buy the chair that Lincoln was shot in and wipe potato chip grease off my fingers on the arm of it as I sit and watch MFS2...

If you want to DRIVE the Watson Squarebird, build a clone and let somebody with a museum and $55K buy it. Porshees are fun!

6. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Sic Semper Tyranus! (a history joke, made in reference to 4t64rd's post)

7. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

[ QUOTE ]
    In one word:"PROVENANCE".If you don't know what it means,look it up;that will explain everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Ray!!!!

8. hatch

hatch
    from house

I never heard the word provenance used until I watched the BJ auction....an event I can't afford to attend, much less purchase a car there!.... [​IMG]

9. scarylarry

scarylarry

Theres just satisfaction for me seeing the HAMBers registered in 04 dont care so much about the car (build your own pos), old timer HAMBers like/want it.Says a lot to me and keeps me mostly on the sidelines. I think its just cool that the original paperwork is with it. Documented history = justifing the price. There will always be a stand-up buyer for a car with documented history.

10. hatch

hatch
    from house

I'd drive it...after it got a 350/350 slapped in it.

11. ____

____

[ QUOTE ]
    Larry Watson is my hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine too!

12. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

I think Jay Leno should buy it! He'd drive the shit out of it and keep it quality show car!...

13. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

WOW, I think its about time this post died.(I know I'm not helping any by adding to it) But what some of you have said about a truely historical Watson Kustom has seriously fucked up my day. I have a bunch more to say about these matters but have previously been warned by the powers that be about being a new guy starting shit. You know who you are and what you have done to my beloved hot rodding. (to include drive prices through the roof). God I can't wait till the trend dies so I can afford to be a rodder again.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Isn't this fun?

Frank

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't this fun?

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah......tons

I can appreciate the history, the workmanship and who did it... [​IMG] BUT I would not buy it for half the price......it does NOT "do it" for me. Before the bashing starts...I like looking at customs (49 Mercs.....a lot) ...but I have a small 2 and 1/2 car garage and I would not enjoy driving the Watson Bird. They do not drive all that great.....or the ones I drove did not.

The only vaccant space I have will be filled with another 32 Ford.......A 3 window.......at that...... [​IMG]

16. slammed

slammed

Too much? No. BUT, too much TALK.....not enuff Action. A copy is weak. Get in the ring.

17. JamesG

JamesG

Who's Larry Watson?

[​IMG]

18. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

I would check into the history because I dont think that was the exact original car I think the did a copy, just like they did with the grape vine car. I might be able to check into it for you. jake jacobs might know or the pres of the sultans car club. I know when rod n custom tooki pics of it , it was at his house(the fake old gas station).

19. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Maybe I'm gettin too high strung about this whole thing. According to the add in the original post it says it a restoration of the original car. Guess it could be bullshit who knows. One thing I do know is I about pissed my pants reading the post about Wyotech. Nothin like a little HAMB humor to cheer a guy up.

20. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

I myself wouldnt pay 55 grand for that car UNLESS it was the original and by original i mean 100000% the same as it was in 1958 or whenever it was he built the car. He would be the one who painted it and everything else. The car its self now isnt the same car...there's not the soul of it, the feeling of it being an actual 50's custom.

21. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

[ QUOTE ]
    I

I guess I just can't see it.

-slacker

[/ QUOTE ]

And you never will... this car IS history not some gay shitbox with DP90 and red wheels...

22. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

It's like I said man.
    Some get it.
    And some never will.

Craig [​IMG]

I do agree though, it isn't worth it if it is a clone. Even one done by boyd n watson.

23. IntrstlarOvrdrve

IntrstlarOvrdrve

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'll buy the chair that Lincoln was shot in and wipe potato chip grease off my fingers on the arm of it as I sit and watch MFS2...

If you want to DRIVE the Watson Squarebird, build a clone and let somebody with a museum and $55K buy it. Porshees are fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats seriously probably the most valid point I have read today.

24. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I think that is way too much for any car but I would pay that much for If I had it. I love that car. Watson is my Hero.

SLAMIT

25. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

As one of the few people on this board fortunate enough to actually know the man, I can safely say that he would refer to all his detractors here as "Lousy Commies", and mean it!

Attached Files:

26. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

This is the car that Larry dated the "prettiest girl in Downey" with in late 1957 when they had barely hit the showroom floor. So here is this kid who is just out of high school, and is proclaimed "King of the Krazy Painters" by the Peterson Publishing co., buying a brand new t-bird with fistfuls of dollars from spraying beautiful nitrocellulose candy pearl lacquer paint-jobs in his parents driveway, and cruising over to Barris for subtle mods that will furnish him with the necessary canvas to espouse upon clearly the pinnacle of all panel jobs.

Attached Files:

27. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

As the creator of the panel, Watson had no one to emulate in his painting endeavors. This Thunderbird being one of the earliest, but not the first, and, the reasoning for this panel job was that, the silver murano pearl(a finish additive paste that is made of imported ground fishscales-for the spray-bomb primer populists) was so bright that something had to be done in order to subdue the shine. That is where the paneling with Candy came in. Candy, in the years before Jon Kosmoski made it easy for any backwoods buckaroo to be a custom paint hero, was a more temperamental medium that each painter mixed himself with toners and clear. These would rapidly fade and necessitated cover-ups, or complete re-paints. This is why this car could not be here in its original form as, Larry actually drove this machine and the sun would lead to the paints decay. The Vino-Pisano would receive another panel job to cover up the blotches in the candy due to the sun-I like that version best!

Attached Files:

28. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

as luscious as this paintjob is, I have always felt that it is a few shades too dark, But that is the only real detraction here. Although, Mr. Watson did stripe it himself.

55g's is a lot of money, and I would rather have been able to do the re-paint myself to the second version, if I were in a position to buy-but I am not. Someone will end up with this truly historical piece and If it were mine, I'd be selling it for lots more!

Attached Files:

29. Sailor

Sailor

Larry Watson is to me what Leonardo Da Vinci is to others, -so yeah if I had a lot of money this car would be very high on my list. I would polish it up and place it in my livingroom..

And to the kid who didnt know its history and said that no one thought T-birds built after 57 was any cool until stuff like this was done to them; you are wrong. A brand new T-bird was a pretty cool car in 1958, and this was taken right from the dealership and customized in 1958. It was originally a pink car Watson bought because it had the right black and white interior. It was first painted completely pearlwhite, but that turned out too bright and Watson then put on the panels. As someone said; the kustomtouches were otherwise few; it was nosed, decked, lowered, had 4-bar spinners, spots, lakes, shaved doorhandles (openingswitch is the ornament on the C-pillar on the roof).

30. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I

I guess I just can't see it.

-slacker

[/ QUOTE ]

And you never will... this car IS history not some gay shitbox with DP90 and red wheels...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, that hurt............ [​IMG]

I think you guys should all pool your milk money and buy it!!

-slacker