Register now to get rid of these ads!

is $55K too much for this piece if history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCo_MoFo, Dec 27, 2004.

1. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Watson T-Bird

To own this car which had changed the face of custom cars is being sold for $55K. (that is roughly the price of a fully loaded SUV) It seems to me that this car is one of the few collector cars worth the money being asked for it.

[​IMG]

2. FONZI

FONZI

I dunno but i want it!

Love that car.

FONZI

3. repoguy

repoguy

It's cool, and I suppose price is relative, but I wouldn't pay 55 grand for it.

4. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

according to Boyd's web site it looks like they restored it. very nice car and well done.

boyd.

5. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Is that how it looks now? [​IMG]
    HEEEELLLLL YEAAAHHH!
    I see stuff like this and wonder what the hell people are doing giving Foose and Coddington money. I'm sure some of those cars are priced double 55k.
    On second thought, I'm glad none of those people would buy this car- WE (The HAMBers) should all chip in and start a Kustom/rod museum. [​IMG]
    Being the nice guy that I am, you can borrow my garage [​IMG]

6. long island vic

long island vic

lookat the seller!!!! bondo baby...someone has too pay for his drugs..

7. Donzie

Donzie

If I had that kind of money and a collector, yes, I would pay it. You're right about it "changed the face of custom cars". It's pretty hard to look at the history of customs and not include Watson's 'Bird.
    I've always liked the '58-'60s the best (my uncle had a maroon '60 when I was about 10. I loved that car) and this one's a beauty. If I ever get a T-Bird I would do something very similar to it.

8. twjoyce

twjoyce

This car is beautiful and I would be glad to be seen driving it down the street but I gotta tell ya guys, there isn't very much custom about it. It's basically very nice paint, fake spots and lake pipes. Any one on here that can paint could do one just like it. Now with a chopped top it's a whole nother story. Tom

9. Seems alittle steep to me, I'm really not familiar with the cars history. I wonder how many people have even heard of it. It's definately cool, but a $10K 'Bird with a $5K paint job?

I don't mean to put a burr under anyones saddle, but come on, $55K??? You could have a whole garage full of cool cars for that, what's a really nice '32?, $35K?? and $20K left over.

-slacker

10. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    This car is beautiful and I would be glad to be seen driving it down the street but I gotta tell ya guys, there isn't very much custom about it. It's basically very nice paint, fake spots and lake pipes. Any one on here that can paint could do one just like it. Now with a chopped top it's a whole nother story. Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, I think you're missing the point here.
    It would be like the original recording of Johnny B. Good by Chuck Berry. The song is ok (only 3 chords, pretty simple lyrics), the singing is average and the guitar playing is mediocure(sp?) compared to todays standards. There are a lot musicians that could duplicate it today. BUT, it signifies a very large part of our musical history.
    You have to consider what it did then.

11. KustomSkylark

KustomSkylark

The car seemed lower in old pictures from my Barris book.

12. Donzie

Donzie

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems alittle steep to me, I'm really not familiar with the cars history. I wonder how many people have even heard of it. It's definately cool, but a $10K 'Bird with a $5K paint job?
    -slacker

[/ QUOTE ]

You kids are killing me!! [​IMG]

"Larry Watson created two new custom trends when he redid his new T-Bird in 1958. By masking off a silver pearl basecoat and then spraying candy burgundy on the rest of the body, he created "panel painting." At the same time he demonstrated that all these longer, lower late '50s cars needed was a wild paint job to customize them. Gary Niemie found and restored the original car with Watson's help."

Attached Files:

13. twjoyce

twjoyce

Didn't mean to put it down, I'm as big on history as anyone (seen my coupe?) To me the car's significance is "Custom Paint" which I guess makes it a Custom. As far as the 50K goes, I have people offering me close to 30K for mine and you can't even drive it on the street, it is ALL about history. I was workin on cars when this was built and you're right, no one then thought a Bird built after 57 was cool until stuff like this happened to them. Tom

14. In one word:"PROVENANCE".If you don't know what it means,look it up;that will explain everything.

15. I know a fella who recently paid $125K [​IMG] for a historic Roadster. This car was a complete basket case and he basically went home with a trailer full of junk (to the casual observer). However, the DNA is there and it's gonna be a national treasure to the Hot Rod community when restored. He'll be in the black when it's over as well. [​IMG]........JW.

16. luckystiff

luckystiff

thanks you donzie for putting it the way it is.

for those that don't know the history of the car or owner(slacker 53) find it it's important that you do for many reasons. yes you could duplicate the car for less money and yes there are a few clones of the car that have been built and i know at least one was even painted by Watson himself, but it still ain't the original car. and to top that first i want you to find a '58 that all it needs is the custom paint for 20 grand. that'll be hard pressed to do unless you guys see 'em much cheaper than i do. second 5 grand for custom paint work would be fairly hard to pull also. so i really think even doing the work yourself and doing it to top quality you'd still have a pretty hard time of getting the car done for 25000. not saying it couldn't be done but you'd need the skill to do 90% of the work yourself. the last sand and paint pearl/candy job i did i skimped a little where i could and materials were still close to 1500. ask donnie(lownslow) what he spends in materials for one of his jobs. if he did cars for 5k he'd be eating noodles for every meal.

but as has been said the historical signifigance(sp) of that car is what makes it's value. if i had 55k i'd own it even though it would be hard for me because i like to drive the shit out of my cars and that car is a piece of history that needs to be in a museum somewhere.

and unless i'm wrong watson did the repaint on the car as it is now. i don't know who did all the other work but unless i'm mistaken he did the paint...ken....

17. I guess you have to like '58s more than I do. I remember when these cars were just 'old cars' and haven't been very fond of them since. A buddy of mine and I used to drive the railroad tracks in his '58. I just saw a very clean, nice, low mileage, one owner '63 ( yeah I know, not a '58) sell for $9800.00. Beautiful car if you like'em. Perfect paint and interior.

Hmmmmmmmmm.........just what COULD I do with the other $45K??

Just from my prospective, I guess I'd really just like to have my $55K in something OLD. Or my $35K in something OLD and invest the other $20K.

I guess I just can't see it.

-slacker

18. hatch

hatch
    from house

Take 55k to a reputable builder and see what it gets you....not much these day....you sure won't get anything with history...it's a bargain, except for those that only have enough cash for a rattlecan of flat black.

19. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Oh the stories that car could tell, both from the past and recently! Geoff aka Whodaky

20. repoguy

repoguy

Like I said, price is relative.

Some of us would pay 55 grand for a car that shouldn't be driven, except to shows and such, just to say they owned a piece of history. There's nothing wrong with that, but it ain't everyone's gig.

It doesn't really have anything to do with your budget, just what you want out of a car.

Me personally, I'd rather take that money and buy a really fast car that I could enjoy every day. I recently dropped quite a bit more than 55 grand on a Porsche, and I can assure you that I get more enjoyment out of it than I ever would out of owning Watson's old squarebird.

It's just a matter of your priorities.

21. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

[ QUOTE ]

Some of us would pay 55 grand for a car that shouldn't be driven, except to shows and such, just to say they owned a piece of history. There's nothing wrong with that, but it ain't everyone's gig.

It doesn't really have anything to do with your budget, just what you want out of a car.

Me personally, I'd rather take that money and buy a really fast car that I could enjoy every day. I recently dropped quite a bit more than 55 grand on a Porsche, and I can assure you that I get more enjoyment out of it than I ever would out of owning Watson's old squarebird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is very valid.
    You're just making it in the wrong forum.
    May I suggest a nice rice boy forum.
    They care more about fast, than history.

If you get it. Good.
    If you don't, you never will.

Craig [​IMG]

22. repoguy

repoguy

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get it. Good.

Craig [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Hon, do me a favor and don't tell me what I should and shouldn't say on the HAMB.

And as for suggesting a "nice rice boy forum", may I suggest a nice go fuck yourself? I know an insult when I see one.

If I get it, good, if I don't, I never will?

Believe it or not JACKASS, some of us appreciate traditional hot rods and customs, AND newer sports cars.

Guys like you make me laugh with your one-dimensional view of all things automotive..

Oh, and by the way, Porsches aren't Japanese, genius.

23. hatch

hatch
    from house

I worked as a painter at a Porsche dealer in Waikiki....got to "test drive" the paint jobs [​IMG]...I would trade everything I own for a 930 turbo....it's a hotrod.

24. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Repogay, I was mearly thinking of your happiness.
    Anyone who would rather pay more than 55 thousand on a Porsche would probably be happier in a different forum.
    Isn't there a fourm for sports cars and laxitives?

Craig [​IMG]

Glad you figured it out though.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems alittle steep to me, I'm really not familiar with the cars history. I wonder how many people have even heard of it. It's definately cool, but a $10K 'Bird with a $5K paint job?

I don't mean to put a burr under anyones saddle, but come on, $55K??? You could have a whole garage full of cool cars for that, what's a really nice '32?, $35K?? and $20K left over.

-slacker

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you say so... But if I had the $55k it would be mine... It's all about the history... as for the 32's for $35, if they're not tupperware tell me where... I've been watching bare bodies go for $25k to $30k....

26. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get it. Good.

Craig [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Hon, do me a favor and don't tell me what I should and shouldn't say on the HAMB.

And as for suggesting a "nice rice boy forum", may I suggest a nice go fuck yourself? I know an insult when I see one.

If I get it, good, if I don't, I never will?

Believe it or not JACKASS, some of us appreciate traditional hot rods and customs, AND newer sports cars.

Guys like you make me laugh with your one-dimensional view of all things automotive..

Oh, and by the way, Porsches aren't Japanese, genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [​IMG]

27. hatch

hatch
    from house

The Tbird would be jewelry...an ego booster, but they drive like shit....the porsche would be jewelry, an ego booster, but haul fuckin ass. Now as far as investment, the tbird wins...also wins the category of "Lawn chair parking lot sitting"....sure is a good thing I don't have 55k laying around, I'd loose sleep figuring out which car to buy hahahahahahahahahahaha....ha!!! [​IMG]...it's ALL relative

28. Hyfire

Hyfire

RepoGuy,

You are absolutely right. Differant strokes for differant folks. I personally would pay the $55k if I had it and just look at the car all day long. I admire you and your way of thinking, but myself... I would have to go for the TBird.

29. [quote...it's ALL relative

[/ QUOTE ]
    Truer words were never spoken.Reminds me of a piece in AutoWeek once by Keith Martin about auto auctions.
    There was a #1 57 Fuelie Corvette going across the block and two guys who apparently knew one another got into a pissin' contest over the car.
    At that time a #1 57 was running about 35-40K.Well these guys(who obviously had more money than brains)ran this sucker up to 245 grand!
    As Martin said later,the one consolation the guy with the losing bid had was he could go out the next day and buy FIVE of the damn things and have enough money left over to insure ALL of them.
    It's the same in the art world:I'd have a hard time justifying paying $50,000,000 for a piece of canvas with paint smeared across it but there are MANY people who gladly would.Like Hatch says;it's ALL RELATIVE.

30. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

thats nothing copared to the high prices paind for musclecars at the BJ auction, and in my opinion that car has more signifigance and it's cooler.