Register now to get rid of these ads!

iron t-10 or muncie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamchop, Dec 25, 2005.

1. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

which one is stronger?i have a m20 but might be able to trade it for an early t10....... oh and Merry Christmas

2. jerry

jerry

The iron case would prolly be stronger but it will be heavier. I don't think that there would be that much difference in the gear strength. The main breakage point on muncies seems to be the case between the input bearing and the countergear shaft fron=m what ai remember.

jerry

3. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Depends on what you are beating on it with. For an engine with 400hp or less, stick with the Muncie. Lighter is better.............

4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Keep the Muncie. If I had a iron T-10 I'd be trying to trade it for the Muncie as well. ;)

A properly built Muncie will take almost anything a street car can throw at it. The only differences in strength between the M20 (wide ratio) and the M22 (rock crusher) is that the M22 supposedly had hardened gears along with their straighter cut profile. The only difference between the M20 and M21 (close ratio) is gear ratio....one's not any stronger than the other. The M20's ratio actually makes it a better trans for everyday diving (and straightline acceleration) anyway.

Now if the guy had a Super T-10, then I'd suggest going forward with the trade.

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Also, if for some unknown reason you ever broke the case on the Muncie, it could be welded fairly easily by a competent welder...the iron case T-10 is a different story.

You can also get brand new cases for the Muncie....I don't think you can for an iron T-10.

6. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

its going behind a 600 horse bbc,i have the muncie guess i'll run it till it breaks:)

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

i always liked muncies

8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Take a look at the Muncie Supercase made by Auto Gear. This company also supplies complete, new transmissions made with it, and gives you a choice of ratios - even one with three speeds plus an overdrive fourth. The case itself is a big improvement.

Auto Gear
    http://www.autogear.net/

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

9. ResedaCoupe

ResedaCoupe
    from Benson, VT

The muncie can hold up to a good beating. Bassman nailed it, the M20 is a better driving trans. The 2.52 or 2.56 first gear is better than 2.20 in the m21 or m22. New pieces are available (roadster.com post) to fix most of the weakness of the alum muncie. Muncies do suffer from case distortion, so an iron mid-plate or supercase might be needed.
    Some useless info......M22 was designed as a road race trans, the reduced angle of the gears was supposed to ease the loads on the case......

Even if you blow it up the muncie has a good core value.

later