Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Iron Powerglide Dowel Pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyangels, Oct 31, 2021.

1. rustyangels

rustyangels

Does the ironglide need dowels in between the trans and adapter.? I can't find any detail or pics with them. It would be a stepped dowel 0.625" x 0.400" approx.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

I don't remember, it's been too long. But seems to me that the recess in the large opening, aligns the transmission to the adapter.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm with Jim. I posted earlier but took it down. I had said they were not needed but looking at your photo's I couldn't say 100% that machined step cut's were all that's needed. I also do not remember (may have forgot) pins being there. To take a guess GM probably realized they over engineered the need to have pins when adapter index's to trans as is and deleted them soon after.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is it possible they are fixture holes for machining like the ones front and back of pan rail (fuel pump side) on this block?
    [​IMG]

Hnstray likes this.

5. KenC

KenC

I think there are two holes the are counterbored and some had a short hollow dowel, or heavy tubing, that aligned the holes and a normal bolt passed through them. But I haven't worked on an iron glide since the 70s and it is a faint memory.

427 sleeper likes this.
  6. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I have two CI Powerglides on the shelf, one has a broken case in the bell housing area, and the other is complete with the mid plate separated from the trans.

I looked at both and neither trans or the mid plate have dowels in them. I just kinda looked at them, but I think the ones I have, don't have the larger size lower holes.

I can look at them better tomorrow, and post a photo if you like.

Bill

7. rustyangels

rustyangels

The dowel holes do line up with a loose fitting 3/8'' bolt, in fact the 5/16" bolt holes that secure the trans to adapter have alot of clearance too. So it must be the casted in ring or counterbore that keeps the two from drifting. This trans was from a 1950's 235 six. But this has been behind a 348 in a '60 Impala for about 20 years now.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think so....the 6 cylinder versions have an "ear" on the bellhousing, where the starter fits. They don't swap.

9. rustyangels

rustyangels

Yep, your right _two different castings
    To get this trans rebuilt, the owner supplied the buider with a six banger version to replace front and rear pumps and some other parts 64CDN6510142.png