Register now to get rid of these ads!

"iron duke" chevy 4 cyl intake questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the shadow, Jul 6, 2007.

1. the shadow

the shadow

anyone know if chevy inline 4 cylinder intake manifolds interchange? I want to have a carb'd 4 cylinder and have an offer to take a good running 2.5lt iron duke (from an 88 s10) for free, but I don't want the TPI manifold. do any of the older carb intakes interchange if so how far back can I go (in years) to search for one????
    any help would be great!

2. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i think you need an intake from a 1982 to 1984 f body camaro or firebird 2.5 or from a 1982 to 1985 s10 2.5 to run a carb on your motor. gm racing sold 4 barrel intakes for the iron duke engine to.

3. My Duke, from a '79 Monza, had a progressive 2-bbl carb. I may still have that manifold. Here's one I made to mount a side-draft Weber carburetor.

Attached Files:

4. JAWS

JAWS

Don't forget fieros had them also. So did many amc cars and jeeps. It was kinda a whore. As long as its a 2.5L, some had hi-po heads, only I don't know the difference.

5. Hemirrhoid

Hemirrhoid
    from Wisconsin

SJFast, how did you make the side draft manifold??

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

They were even extensively used in forklifts... :D

7. bct

bct

johnny is no longer with us. he gave out plans for the manifold to many people ....if you ask in the iron duke social group there might be someone with a copy still.....

sko_ford likes this.
  8. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Prior to 1978 or there abouts the iron duke had an L head design like the chevy sixes. After that they all had a crossflow head and as best as I can tell used the same intake gasket. So I would say and car with a 2.5 prior to about 84 and after 78 should have a carb type intake. Monzas, some Jeep CJ's, mail trucks, Skyhawks, Sunbird, Camaros? Clifford Research might still have some aftermarket stuff and well a Offenhauser. These engines were used a lot in sprint car stuff and there is still stuff out there from that arena too.
    I put an iron duke in a MG midget once. Dang thing was fast. Power to weight ratio about like a 427 Cobra.