Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iron Duke & a 700R4 - will this work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm curious as to whether or not a 2.5 S10 motor would bolt right up to a 700R4, or if they are completely different animals.

Thanks!

~Greg

2. milkmankael

milkmankael

The 700r4 was an available transmission option for the 4 cylinder s-10. Just have to locate the correct parts.

Kael

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

At the risk of sounding stupid, what do you mean?

4. milkmankael

milkmankael

Don't worry, I probably sound just as stupid. I am trying to find a better answer for you (and myself) as I type this. Basically, I was trying to say that I don't know if the 4 cylinder s-10 required specific parts or if they were somewhat generic components.

My reason for bringing this up is that I have read repeatedly that the mid 80s- 90s camaros and firebirds used a transmission housing that was offset by about 5 degrees.

Kael

5. Fitzworld

Fitzworld

The 2.5 has the same bolt pattern as the 2.8 v6, the 4.3 is a different animal. In 1991 they went to the electronic speedometer and to go back to the cable type involves removing the reluctor ring off the tail shaft and putting the gear type on in its' place and be sure to get the converter for the 2.5.
    Good luck

6. milkmankael

milkmankael

Also, just wondering, have you ever driven a 4 cylinder s-10 with an automatic? They seemed to have a lot of trouble getting out of the way of their own shadow. The mid 90s models seemed to be a little better but they had the 2.2 liter (same as a cavalier)

Kael

7. David Chandler

David Chandler

My wife's 85 has a 4 speed OD auto in it, with the 2.5. This tranny is not a 700R4. I went through 4 of them, and they are crap, as they cycle themselves to death with the small engine. I was told several times that no other automatic would interchange with it, as I wanted to put in a TH350. But somewhere I read that there is an adapter made to change to the SBC bell's bolt pattern. I finally retired the truck after the engine went south. I rebuilt it once and had about 200K on it. As mentioned above they are not very peppy, even with 373 gears in them. However if you get an early 151 from something like a Monza, they have the "normal" Chevy bolt pattern cast into them.

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've owned a S10 blazer with a 4 speed and 2.5 in it, and other than the need for a 5th gear, it was an absolute blast to drive.

As for the lack of power, if I go this route, I'll hunt up a small turbo for it, and see how that goes. The little pickup I'm contemplating putting it into would weigh less than an S10 when complete, so fuel mileage should be about the same. Damned fuel prices are causing me to contemplate doing things like this. I want to drive it, and drive it often, but I can't afford partial ownership in a filling station every time I buy gas.

9. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Goztrider; GM didn't put enough power in that engine to pull a 5th gear! So what I would do is just run the peddly harder on the floor. Ya won't hurt a thing unless the engine or trans is weak.

10. they use a standard sbc bolt pattern. the transmission itself is rotated for clearance. it was the t5's

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've also heard that the 2.5 is only good for 150hp on the bottom end... what could I do to beef it up to handle the turbo and keep it from scattering under load?

12. milkmankael

milkmankael

Thanks for clearing up my confusion regarding the camaro/ firebird transmissions.

Kael

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sounds like an interesting ol' gal! :eek: Sorry no disrespect intended. :)

14. I had an '82 Camaro right out of high school. It had teh Iron Duke and a 5-speed. Ran pretty darn good for a stock 'banger.

Anyhoo....About that time, Hot Rod did a series on an Iron Duke build in a Fiero. They also showed the same setup in a Firebird. Roadrace and BAD!

I am in the planning (read"dreaming") stages of my #2 rod, very similar to your idea. I want to run a Quad 4 DOHC and a 4-speed (get it....Quad...4) and dress the dohc up to look like an Offy engine. A little dirt track/Bonneville character.....

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've got the small turbo you're looking for!

16. If you're going for gas milage, a manual trans will do better still. The problem with the 700R4, and with any automatic, is it uses some of the engine's power just to operate the transmission. You can still look up S10 MPG ratings on one of the gov't fuel economy websites and compare the difference.

I've driven a well worn 4-cyl 5-speed S10 with the 2.2 and it wasn't a bad little truck to run.

17. REDDOG

REDDOG

i dont think it will bolt right up, but i do know you can make an adapter plate for it, but if it was me i would find a s-10 5 speed manual, thats what we are doing in our 39 chevy truck, you can do alot of things to the 2.5 motor to make it awsome, we also have used them as race car motors in midgets for years

18. S10 2.5 and S10 T5 is a bolt-up combination.

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I don't think an s10 2.5 is the same as the Iron Duke, similar, but not as good.

I would use the Nissan 240 KA24DE if a powerful 4 banger + 5 speed is your goal, the stock bottom ends are good to 300 whp.

Edit, the other chevy 4 banger was the different one link

20. S10 T5 can also be made to bolt up to anything with an SBC bell pattern, since the T5 came behind them in Camaros and Firebirds.

21. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey guys, this was a moment of weakness. I'm going with the 350 and 700R4 I've got. I might still consider the turbo though.....