Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iron bellhousings -shrapnel, or somewhat safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. repoman

repoman

I'm building an early Pontiac that will be mated to a clutch-turbo. I'm using an aluminum flywheel and a solid roller cam. In short, the threat of a clutch explosion is at least Ernie:

[​IMG]

I have a steel scattershield, and a 58 iron bellhousing. Using the scattershield means buying a $600 adapter kit. Using the iron one =$0, plus the cool factor that I have one, and my Pontiac brothers will envy me :D

So what do you guys think? What kind of carnage have you've seen from cast bells? Can I get some real experience?

2. mAYBE YOU CAN MAKE A 1/4" PLATE STEEL FLOOR OVER IT AND SELL THE LAKEWOOD FOR PARTS MONEY!

3. squirrel

squirrel

what rpm will the engine run? is there a rev limiter?

Under 5500 you'd probably be safe...over that you'd want the scattershield.

(note that I said "probably")

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Is your feet worth $600 ?

5. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

That early pontiac will not rev high enough to worry about. It will scatter all over the place first

6. Dumb question for you- whats the difference if the bellhsg is steel 1/4" or the floor is steel 1/4' [with a cast bellhousing] between the flywheel and either one of the things mentioned?:confused:

7. repoman

repoman

This one will.

Steel crank @ 3.5625, 6.8 BB Chevy rods, custom Ross pistons, .625 solid roller, 265@28 iron heads.

Funny, everyone tells me my old Pontiac won't spin, except the real experts.

8. repoman

repoman

You're right! Steel floor it is!

9. repoman

repoman

I won't know the power range until I hit the dyno. There just isn't that much experience doing what I'm doing. I have to wait 6 weeks for my pistons, then another week to get balanced, assembly, etc. My initial math shows me a peak over 7500(!)

Yes I will need a limiter. On thin oil I think I'll be safe to 8000+, at least for a few passes :D

10. squirrel

squirrel

get a scattershield!