Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Iola 17

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr cheater, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Who's going to Iola this year I will be in spots j 54/55 look for my avatar and stop by and say hi

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I'll be there until the "walkin' money" gives out.

3. i will be there Wednesday to Friday

4. hotrod428

hotrod428

I'll be at BN38-42, haven't missed a year since 1987

5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'll be in the campground....epic year, 10 spots, 15 guys, 4 ozzies.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. BJR

BJR

I am not going this year after 35 years in a row with one missed year. The damn school buses with drivers with an attitude that replaced the tractor pulled people movers did it for me. Not riding a fucking school buss from the campground to the swap meet. Not to mention all the people selling anything but car parts in the swap meet. Have fun and report back, I hope it gets better, it used to be a fun time.

7. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

First time I haven't had a swap spot in over 40 years. May go one day just to see old friends.

8. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_2209.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_2212.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2195.JPG I will be there Thursday to Saturday R34 35 Some stuff

9. poopeye

poopeye

Hey Mr Cheater....make sure you stop Wed. after you get set up. That way the PBR is still cold!!

Mr cheater likes this.
  10. i'm still going...but as BJR said, those school buses did not appeal to me last year. in the past i really enjoyed the tractor/wagon ride. i would just jump on one and see where i ended up

11. Squablow

Squablow

I can only go on Saturday, but haven't missed one since I was 12 so not going to miss this year. I'm sure half the vendors will already be gone Friday night along with all of the good deals, but it'll be easy to not blow my money that way.

Looking for a '34 car grille and running boards.

12. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_2326.JPG
    You might get lucky this year. They sent a nasty letter to the vendors If you do not stay open to 5 pm on Saturday you will not be able to come back next year

13. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for posting that, I hope that works. At least they're trying to be proactive about it. If people are going to be pulling out on Friday and pulling other shit like that, give their primo spots away to someone else. Let those other guys have the bottom of the hill shit spots.

They're much better than Jefferson when it comes to keeping out unrelated bullshit vendors, although there's still some of that at Iola.

It'll be fun to walk around and see how many spots are empty and what's still left. Even if I don't buy much it should be a good time. Hopefully I don't get heat stroke and walk around mumbling incoherently like I apparently did last year on Thursday. My apologies if I saw you last year and talked to you but didn't make any sense.

cs39ford likes this.
  14. BJR

BJR

When you walk into the swap meet from the car corral there is a guy on the left side of the gate selling magnetic bracelets. He has been there for years, he puts a rusty exhaust manifold on a table with some other crap next to his bracelet booth. Guess that makes him a legal parts vender.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

i will be there walking around, camping there too

16. poopeye

poopeye

Hey Squablow, make sure you stop by our spaces (B-19 / 22). We can re-hydrate ya if necessary!

17. Talking to a friend about going. His brother has land close by with old campers we can crash in overnight.
    See what happens, haven't been to Iola in 10 years. First time I was there was in '84, remember how small it was walking through in a few hours. Now takes you 2 days to see everything.

18. [QUOTE="Squablow, post: 12122492, member: 5943] Hopefully I don't get heat stroke and walk around mumbling incoherently like I apparently did last year on Thursday. My apologies if I saw you last year and talked to you but didn't make any sense.[/QUOTE]
    Hey, you can talk to me anytime. Everyone I hang out with, including myself, never make any sense. You're amongst friends:D

cs39ford likes this.
  19. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_2327.JPG

20. Just got back from Iola a little bit ago. Walked around for 5 1/2 hours, don't think I made it through the entire swap meet. Didn't even bother with the car corral or the car show. I actually managed to find some of the stuff I was looking for, without breaking the bank. Found the temp gauge I have been searching for ( now I just need to find the matching fuel gauge to complete the set ), a really nice set of valve covers for the Olds engine, and a pair of tail lights ( actually they are '32 Ford cowl lights converted with some awesome vintage taillight lenses. Pleasantly surprised, and kind of shocked, at the prices. Little gadgety, trinkets and doo-dads were way more expensive than I thought reasonable for shelf sitters and wall hangers. Real hot rod type vintage parts ( and there were a LOT of them ) , were actually priced fairly. Way more car parts than garage sale crap. And it didn't rain all day. And the ice cream bars are still tasty.

Squablow likes this.
  21. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Be there tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Found a lot of stuff i wouldnt have found at very fair prices yesterday. Now i just need to find the speedometer for the 39 Mercury dash I found. Best Iola for me in years. I bet we didnt make it thru half the swap in the 7 hrs we were there...

2 days for me next year.....

23. we were there Wednesday through Friday . thought it was a good swap, bought a few things at decent prices. bumped into a lot of old friends

i got to see Don Garlits fire up a swamp rat a couple times. that guy is in great shape for being in his 80's. he got in and out of it by himself, i don't think i could! his hearing is not good so he is a bit hard to talk with

took a ride on a school bus when i got tired of walking...the driver was real nice, dropped me off right by the van

Friday chicken diner was good as usual.....and made hotel reservations for next year

24. Squablow

Squablow

I went today (Saturday) thinking i wouldn't find much and that there wasn't a whole lot i was looking for, ended up buying a shitload of stuff! I'll try to take pics ehen i unload it tomorrow. Great day, great swap.

I also heard there eas a hail storm Friday night! Crazy!

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Hail storm? I took refuge in the Coker tent. One of those big custom wheel displays, diamond plate & all came right at me, I thought it was going to break my legs when it hit the ground. 40 Min later, the sun was out :)