Register now to get rid of these ads!

Invite to Sloan Auto Fair this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al K, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Many of you in mid-Michigan(and beyond) are aware of the Sloan Museum Auto Fair,coming up this weekend in Flint,Michigan. Hours are 9 am to 6 pm Saturday and Sunday. For those who haven't been to this show,I've included some pics of last years show. Weather is supposed to be great(cross your fingers...),so the invite is on to all you HAMBers to display your iron. I,alas,am without a fine ride,BUT,I'm promoting a vintage snowmobile display for the first time at this show. The theme of this years show is "Speed Machines" and there's going to be vintage Top Fuel cars,Indy cars,some of the old Ramchargers group,hydroplanes,and...an appearance from the one and only Linda Vaughn,as well as Jack "Doc" Watson of Hurst fame,and much more!.
    This show draws almost,if not more than,1000+ vintage vehicles of all types.

Some pics from last year:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be around the snowmobile display,as I'll have a couple of my girls there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So,if anyone from this site wants to stop by and say "hi",look for some 53 year old long-hair with an "Arctic Cat" or "Mopar Nationals" shirt on-just ask for Al,I'll be around. Oh,for you folks from Australia;those are snowmobiles pictured above. The most fun you can have with 5 layers of clothing on. Come visit some winter(summer for you) and we'll show you how we freeze our nuts off-and smile while we're doing it.

For more info,contact the Sloan Museum at www.sloanautofair.com

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. My lady works for one of the Sloan Auto Fair committee members and procured a flyer with some of the cars and personalities. As mentioned,Jack Watson and the lovely Linda Vaughn will be there Sunday signing autographs,but there will also be some mechanical personalities as well. A great re-creation of the Ramchargers "High And Mighty" C/Altered,the Barnes and Gladstone front-engined Top Fuel dragster,the 1952 Federal Engineering USAC/Indy car,Gar Wood's "Miss America X",the "Miss Chrysler-Jeep" turbine hydroplane and a few more.
    I noticed a thread from last year about this show,and it's good to see a lot of HAMBer's in the Flint area(I probably know some of you cats);if you'd like,stop by the snowmobile display and say "hi",plus I'll be taking contributions for the old Mopar I'd like to acquire...no seriously...please give what you can...thank you and God Bless.
    Watching the weather forecasts intently and hoping the weather gods hold off on the rain 'til it's over and everyone's rides are safely tucked away. Y'all drive carefully on your journeys there,and we'll see you Saturday.

3. Found some more pics of last years show;some very interesting machines...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those of you who don't have enough projects,there were some potential prospects:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then,there was the "barn find" Corvette:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See ya there!

4. Unfortunatly i wont be able to make it this year. Vacation in Philli. But it is a good time. Good size swap meet, some good barbeque stands. Free entry to sloan museum and the buick gallery. Plenty of shade. Good times.

5. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

The Sloan show is always a good time, as long as you don't get your legs smashed between two cars.:rolleyes:

This year, most of the NIGHTMARES are going on Saturday; we're meeting at my tattoo shop Downtown (Kearsley St @ Saginaw St) around 8:30am, and heading to the show from there; so if any of you GMB's want to roll in with us, that's when/where you'll want to meet.

Also, this year they've set up a cruise from the Sloan show out to the A&W in Flushing (A great cruise/show on it's own!), which I believe starts around 5:30 or 6pm... Most of the NIGHTMARES are planning on making that trek as well.

I didn't go to Sloan last year, as my legs weren't really feeling up to it, but I've been there for a bunch of years before that, and the last few that I've attended even had an all you can eat Taco buffet!:)

If you need any info on meeting up with us, just shoot me a PM or post in here...

6. LOL,I can relate to the "close quarters" parking from years past. Amazing that there aren't more door dings;a major credit to the owners being cautious when opening them up.

You know,they made front wheel kits for snowmobiles;I could find one and bolt it up and meet you at the parlor. I don't think the Flint police(no sense of humor-taken away by current budget cuts) would appreciate that move.

"...But,officer;these things didn't come with turn signals..."

Watching the weather closely;this show and t-storms have been intimate for years. I've seen perfect weekends and totally rained out ones-and the cars and people still show up in great numbers.

I'm hoping to get a pic of the Lovely Linda sitting on one of my sleds(preferably the "Z" racer);which means all the yahoos I've invited to show their sleds(there will be some rare and fine machines) will want one as well. I got first dibs!

7. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

No Al, I don't actually think you can relate... I really did get pinned between two cars at the '07 show. My right leg got broken in three places and both knees are permanently trashed. That also ended with a caved in quarter panel and bent bumper on my car.

As for the snowmobile thing, I don't think the Flint police would care...they've got way more important stuff to worry about than that!

8. Damn,I guess not! No intent at a "funny" there;wasn't aware of your predicament. Sorry to read about that;my sincere apologies for being an unaware dumbphuck.

I would hope the Flint police have more important things to worry about;with my luck,it would be a slow business day and a stunt like that(sleddin' down the streets) would become national news or a famous "YouTube" moment. I can see the headlines now:

"Police chase crazy tattooed laid-off disgruntled autoworker on snowmobile through Flint;suspect shot for no apparent reason".

CNN wouldn't be able to get here fast enough. Hell,it would be the highlight and lead story on Channel 12.

9. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

10. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i think i was there when that happened was it when that guy started up that little red car and it was in gear and took off across the way and ran in to plan b ..?i was on the other side of the swap and the news traveled fast ..

11. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

It was a little green car, but yep... Plan B is mine. I'm surprised you didn't hear me screaming obscenities at the guy from way over there... I was pretty pissed (and in a substantial amount of pain)!

12. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

thats cool i love that car ..ill find ya next time i see it a and w or frankenmuth i always see it around ...at the shows ..

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Jenny's gonna roll the Caddy out Sat morning with my girls. I'll be arriving in a very stylish S10 Blazer about 2. Always fun watching the restorer guys cringe when we show up.

14. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Like the time we built a minibike AT the show, out of parts acquired at the swap meet?
    As soon as it fired she was off! Headed right towards a bunch of bazillion dollar cars! :)

15. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Is there a Kearsley St. exit off of 475?

16. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

No Randy... if you're gonna meet us at the shop you'll want to get off at the Court St exit (then head west to Saginaw St and north to Kearsley St); if you're going straight to the show get off at Robert T Longway.