Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inverted Flare...........or not...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Jul 17, 2016.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i am having to run an electric pump because i'm running a newer sbc block with no mechanical pump provisions or pushrod hole.

1) Can i run a "regular" NPT fitting from the pump outlet? i can't find an inverted flare in 1/8" size.

2) Just out of curiosity, and somewhat tied to the original question, can you run a regular npt fitting instead of an inverted flare fitting off the outlet of a stock SBC mechanical pump?

The electric pump in question is one of these:
    http://www.facet-purolator.com/DURA-LIFT flyer 2011.pdf

2. squirrel

squirrel

there are a bunch of different "stock" sbc fuel pumps, the early ones had 1/8" npt threads for the inlet and outlet, later ones had a hose barb inlet, and a 5/18 or 3/8 inverted flare output (and some had a 1/4" return hose barb also)

What pump is it that you are asking about, anyways? there are a bunch of different electric fuel pumps, you know...the cheap ones usually have 1/8" npt fittings, the more expensive ones are 3/8" npt or something else. What are you trying to connect to the pump? and where is the pump located? they like to be at the back, near the fuel tank...

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

This is the pump in question:
    http://www.facet-purolator.com/dura-lift-pumps.php

And i'm trying to go from 1/8 npt to -6A/N. The pump's outlet appears to have an inverted flare nipple in there and i figured this would be better than just "regular" npt. Though i have seen a few people using this pump on the 'Tube with apparently no problems using "regular" npt brass fittings.

4. squirrel

squirrel

the page you linked to shows a diesel transfer pump, with 1/8" NPT fittings. Is that what you're really using? Most guys get a pump designed for gasoline for gasoline engines....?????

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

No, it's good for gas too----per manufacter's specs.

Anyways, i guess what i'm really trying to ask is will an npt fitting leak if used in a place where an inverted flare should probably be used?

6. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, it probably will leak. But the specs for that pump say it's an NPT fitting.

NPT threads are tapered. Inverted flare threads are straight.

7. 55Brodie

55Brodie

1/8-27 is the same as 1/8 NPT.

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm thinking they most likely ARE npt----and i see everyone one on youtube who uses this pump using npt fittings with no apparent problems. i think the thing that is throwing me off is there appears to be an inverted flare nipple in the outlet (or maybe it's something else?). Will try to post a pic tomorrow.

9. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Ok, thanks. Good to know.

10. That is Not a Gasoline Fuel Pump. It is a Lift Pump that is designed to supply fuel to the high pressure pump in a diesel. The fact that it is rated for gasoline does not make it a good choice for a gasoline motor fuel pump - they do not recommend this pump for that application.
    and 1/8-27 int IS 1/8 NPT

11. harley rider

harley rider

Facet makes very good pumps .I have one on my riding mower. the one you have is wrong for your application. you don't need all that lifting power. up to 15 psi you will need a regulator.