Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inverted Flare Adaptor Needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Yep, that says it's what I need... the local store says they have one, here's hoping! Thanks!

gimpyshotrods, scotty t and Blue One like this.
  2. john walker

john walker

I used these for a clean brake line attachment to a master cylinder, but might work in other apps too. just another form of a flare nut.

IMG_0269.JPG

3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Scotty T's piece interchanges with Weatherhead 7916.

4. Several interesting ideas... I have given some thought to just getting a 3/8" tube inverted plug and drilling/chamfering it for 5/16" tube, but I do have concerns about the mismatch between flare diameters. I won't get a full 'bite' on the smaller flare in the larger fitting, I don't want any possibility of leaks.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand your concern....the brass adapter would seem to best address that issue and is minimally conspicuous. The kind of thing most observers would not even notice much less fixate on. But, you do have to worry about the ‘nut’ behind the wheel....:D

pprather and scotty t like this.
  6. I wasn't thinking very clear yesterday or I would have asked you if you were aware that 3/8" fuel line will actually slid over 5/16" line. Several times I've double flared a piece of 3/8" tube and cut it the exact length of the line nut, put it in the nut slid it over the 5/16" and do a single flare to the 5/16 line to get a little overlap onto the 3/8" flare. Seems to work fine so far and the line nut spins just fine.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Edelman brass part number 258650 should fix it.Try a real parts store like NAPA.

8. adapter.jpg
    This is the 5/16" version

scotty t likes this.
  9. That was it (without seeing it in person I tend to be skeptical...LOL) and miracle of miracles, the on-line computer wasn't lying about it being in stock, they actually had it. And if I hadn't had the part number, the sales guy would not have been able to find it either... LOLOL

Thanks Scotty!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    scotty t and saltflats like this.
  10. Glad I could help.I was running some fuel lines recently so the search was still fresh in my mind.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cool. Now I need to get one for myself.

12. And just in case your local AutoZone doesn't have one, two other part numbers: Edelmann 258560 and Weatherhead 7916. Dorman apparently doesn't make one...