Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Introducing the Roofus Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Mar 1, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, build control arms like on the 1930's Miller Indy cars

87 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. No, go with a Ford style straight axle

42 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. indyjps

indyjps

Took me 2 days but I read the thread all the way thru, great build. You have to take this past garage art and get it on the road. Do you still have the jag firewall pieces and a title?

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yep, I turned it into an I-beam.

3. farna

farna

With the axle up a little higher everything looks much better. You could actually do a parallel arms system with the upper arm pivot on top of the frame. That is going to be easiest. You need to do some modelling to see how the unequal length arms are going to act, and what the inclined upper arm will do. If you have a computer modelling CAD program that would be great, but you can make cardboard arms the same lengths (or scale down) and check that. A full size cardboard mock-up might be the ticket -- easy to make adjustments to get where you want to be then make parts. I did that when making steering arms for the late model T-bird R&P in my Rambler.

I do recall Custom Rodder magazine testing independent vs. beam axle handling in an article a few years ago. They took a pair of 30's coupes, one with a double A-arm IFS and another with a beam axle -- otherwise cars were similar. The IFS had a bit better ride, but there was no discernible difference in handling at all. In fact, I seem to recall the drivers preferred the straight axle as it seemed more predictable in hard turns.

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

"axle up higher" ...does that mean car sitting higher? or lower?

I was trying to avoid the control arm on top of the frame. I want the headlights to end up where they look best...not fit where there was free space.

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

...looking back at this picture, I don't think the I-beam upper arms would be all that much of a distraction.
    [​IMG]

6. davo461

davo461

Looking better all the time. Love the 'panel re-cycling' on this project; it's going to look the real McCoy!
    Davo.

7. Once this thing has a decent paint job, a shiny grill, swoopy headers leaving the side of the hood and taller wheels and tyres people won’t notice. Just paint them up and make them look inconspicuous, black like the rest of the chassis and front end

By the way, what colour are you thinking when its all done?
    I've been imagining it in a deep forrest/British racing green so far.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. farna

farna

I'm with you on the upper I-beam arm. It will look similar to the lower arm and should blend right in.

Almost any dark color will look good. British Racing Green, A Burgandy/dark red similar to the color on the side would be good too.

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Paint is a long ways away. BRG makes the most sense with all of the Jag parts being used.

....but part of me says that it needs to be painted so that it will be more visible at night, like a lighter color or maybe metalic silver (tribute to Mercedes GP cars). Red might work for that too.

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

If it's safety-visibility you're after, red doesn't have a good record. Doesn't stop me driving a red DD, though.

11. farna

farna

Corvette Yellow or something like that would sure make it visible! I understand -- good thought on that! Any light bright color will look good on it, even a "lime green" (something like the old AMC "Big Bad Green" or the Chrysler bright green from the 70s).

12. Remember that white with a blue stripe is the official color scheme for American cars in sports car racing...

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

White with BRG wheels/fenders for a Jaguar-based American car?

14. DenK

DenK

Wow,cool piece. I'm Learning from different approaches to
    a build. How bout using dimensions and pickup points
    for a M2 front suspension? It's been used on just about everything.
    Thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

15. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

Any progress? Spring is coming!

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Nope, but I'm thinking about going this weekend.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to do the upper arms.

17. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

It is just metal. Do something, stand back, look again, bounce it up and down, and realize that you can grind it off and start again. Works for me!

18. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yeah, yeah, I know....just f'n do something!

I've got some 52 mercedes A-arms in the pile that I may try.

19. I thought it was grey primer? :p

20. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Well, I got a chance to go play this weekend.

I dug into a pile and pulled out some 1952 Mercedes front suspension pieces. They don't really work as is, but what else is new.

[​IMG]

The cross shaft and spring bucket mount is what is interesting to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My a-arm kit...some assembly required.
    [​IMG]

Yes the wrench is part of the plan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Playing with parts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should look something like this. ball joint bolts will be underneath
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I quit for the day.
    [​IMG]

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too fucking cool.

23. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

So, I'm guessing you like the simplified streamlined a-arms idea?

24. It looks amazing.

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I realized I forgot to explain how cool the vintage mercedes pieces are and what the whole plan is... coppied from another board...

That is the beauty of using the Mercedes pieces. The pivot bushings are threaded in such a way that the arm can be moved front to back along the shaft by simply screwing the bushings in or out.
    [​IMG]
    The whole a-arm mount will be mounted on a plate that will bolt to the side of the frame and will be shimmable for camber changes.
    I have a lot more welding and grinding to go to make it look presentable, but I think I finally found something that has that 30's high tech vibe that I was searching for....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That, the aerodynamic wrenches, and the lawnmower dash.

27. farna

farna

Just make sure your steering geometry is right! Look up "Ackerman angle". I had to make new steering arms for my Rambler when putting a rack and pinion in, took a bit of math to get them right!

28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The jag donor was rear steer, the rack donor was rear steer also. I'm hoping it will be close.

29. farna

farna

The problem is in positioning the outer tie rod ends. They have to be positioned relative to the wheelbase and the width of the front axle. If the wheelbase and front track are close to the front end donor you should be close enough. In going over detailed suspension specs on 60s Ramblers (I have a collection of service manuals with the info, being a Rambler/AMC nut!) I found that the exact angle isn't usually used, the suspension is up to 6 degrees off. So if you're in the ball park it should be good.

30. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The wheelbase is within 1/2 inch of the jag donor. ...same for track width.