Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introducing The Ford Barn... Officially...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 27, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Bodger45

Bodger45

Congratulations!

3. woodbox

woodbox

Well done Ryan, Another top quality site for Ford lovers. But you really do have to mind your P's and Q's over there! Having said that there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from passionate purists......just dont go in wearing a Hot Rodding T shirt or flamed shoes!!

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

For the most part, I think the restorers and the traditional rodders are more of a resource to each other than we are adversaries. [or at least we have the potential to be]

We're both interested in saving original iron from the crusher as well as the r@t-rodders. We both appreciate tradition and classic stuff. We both long for the "good old days", and we both love cars... We just have a different approach to the same things.

I've seen it, right here on the HAMB, many many times, where someone shows off pics of their latest "barn find", and the general consensus among the HAMB faithful is "too nice to modify, leave it alone and keep it original".... So maybe were not so different afterall.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Good work Ryan.
    Will the For Sale stuff from the HAMB move or will remain seperate, as the Ford Barn also has a Hot Rod section???

6. I've really been enjoying the knowledge and history, that can be learned there. It's different than the HAMB, but in a good way, and maybe it will help bridge the gap between the "Hot rod Hoodlums" and the "Stocker Purists", after all we are all "gear heads".:D Thanks Ryan, for all your efforts.

7. It looks great! I am glad to see that the site is easier to navigate.

8. Awesome!! love the "new" format,nice work ryan

9. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Love the new format just like being at home @ HAMB

10. Been there for years...congrats on the new acquisition Ryan.

Had to re-register but the format is super nice !!

Hope it all works out for ya !

Rat

11. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

The new Barn is great and so familiar. I know I will do everything I can to help keep the original purpose in tact.

12. onedge

onedge

Sounds like a real good move. FordBarn is great place also.

13. Having used the Ford Barn for several years to gather knowledge and search for parts I know the frustration of the old site as well.

Shelly did a good job for a long time with the old hard to use ,time consuming format with all the post crowed together.

Searching for anything was a lesson in futility!

After seeing some of the post from old time Ford Barn guys most have excepted it,,some with open arms and some begrudgingly,,and a few are still fighting and don't like it and complain in most every post,,given enough time and I believe losses will be few.

The tendency for Hambers migrating to the barn is nothing if not amazing but I have also seen Hambers post stuff that has no place on that site,,I am guilty myself and have started questioning myself before posting.

Thank you Ryan for saving a valuable tool and doing your best to assure that there will always be a site that is preserving the knowledge that would have been lost.

BTW,,,is there any thought to adding the manage your account button on the Barn like we have here? HRP

14. Man, I know what you mean, there are a couple there who bitch at the slightest provocation from each other! One of them even bitched because people started posting pictures - of cars!! Most are excited because they can now post pictures.

The rest of them seem genuinely pleased to not only still have the Barn, but also a better, more functional one.

Thanks Ryan.

15. oaktree

oaktree

Been there,done that and I like it!

16. Thanks Ryan. I had never been over there before, but I am sure it will be a good resource for when I restore my T back to original (or maybe that should say mostly original since I am not sure I am capable of totally original.) :D I do, however, appreciate the guys who can do that and value their knowledge and input. A few years back, I wouldn't have thought I had any need or want for an original T, but the older I get the more I can appreciate that stuff.

17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Ryan - once again you are behind providing a great public resource that we all use for free. I dont count the Alliance as a payment, its a discount card. You guys thinking of doing the same over there?

18. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Way to go Boss, much much nicer and more user friendly!

19. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Add it to the long list of things to thank Ryan for...

well done.

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Love it more than ever.....easy search. Thanks Ryan.

21. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Gonna miss the old format,
    but not cause it was any good.

Unbelievable, already almost 4400 members.

Your empire is growing.

TP

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Ryan. Great job as expected. Slim

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I hope this was cross posted to the Ford Barn blog, as there are definite rumblings of discontent over there with all the HAMBsters creeping in. I would hate to lose the cadre of Fordists who made the place great to begin with. It's not us versus the restorers, in my mind, it's old car guys versus the world, so we should respect that some folks like the challenge of taking them back to factory original.

One technical thing about FB: Is it just me, or does everything over there load way slower?

-Dave

24. spooler41

spooler41

Thanks again Ryan, just signed on a few days ago. It's a great resource, good save.

..........Jack

25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

SWEET!!!! I use this site quite a bit and glad to see that you got it and dolled it up!! Looks great!! Thanks for keeping it going!!

26. oj

oj

Ok, i guess it is my turn to 'grumble' I, amoung many others, don't much care for the 'new look', it is now just like the HAMB. I am a loyal 'hambr' and will continue to do so but, i also enjoyed the 'ford barn'. The format was different and enjoyable, it was more 'folksy'. Now it is reduced to being an immitation hamb site. It deserves better treatment, give it the repect and diginity that it has earned and the right to expect. In effect, you aquired somebodies traditional AV8 and stuck a small block chevy in it. I know that wasn't your intention and you guys thought you were making and improvement, time to rethink what you have done and restore the identity of the ford barn, revert back to the un-professional, disorganized, unpretentious folksy site where people could think out loud and act as is they are communicating with old friends.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry, I disagree with every single thing you said... and I'd guess that about 90% of the user base does as well. We've had a really positive reaction from the users... Much more positive than I expected so soon.

And the bottom line is that if you respect the content and the knowledge base of the site, you realize this had to be done.

28. So you are saying they don't like this kind of stuff....

[​IMG]

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What the hell are you doing up at 1am?!
    Oh, I get it! Improving the Ford Barn and making life better for all of us. As said before, very much appreciated! I couldn't figure out the old Barn before, love it now!

30. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Ryan,
    Many thanks. I re-registered at the Ford Barn as soon as I saw that you had the new format up and running. Same name there as here. As an old guy who loves old Fords, I spent time at both places; however, I ended up spending more time here than there because of the difficulty of using the software. I appreciate the differences in cultures between the Barn and the HAMB. I just learned to watch my P's and Q's, in both places. I also appreciate the vast amount of knowledge, experience and skills in BOTH places. Many of the skills are useful in both the restoration and hot rodding communities and need to be respected.

Fear not Ryan, I'll help keep the restoration stuff over there and the traditional hot rods and kustoms here. Like it was said in an earlier post, we BOTH have a love for old Fords. Let's appreciate and respect each other. Who knows, we may learn something from each other. When I got started in hot rodding, 45 years ago, the restorers helped me out a whole lot.