Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introducing: Motor Speedway NJ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motor Speedway, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Man TJ...we had a blast..Love that pic ( id frame it if you werent 3 ft in front of me hahahaha)..!!!!!!!!! cant wait to see you next time

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

the kid is still talking about
    he was chatting up the girls at the food stand

3. JohnForLife

JohnForLife
    from NEW JERSEY

had a good time, i was there friday and saturday with the van.

4. Completely had a blast for the short time I was there. Well done guys.

Looking forward to the next one.

This picture is great.....European bikes at their best!!
    [​IMG]

5. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Mike, I beat you every time we ran! lol. swapping time slips is no way to call it a victory brother. as for times we were in the mid 10's around 65mph in the 1/8th. It's funny that 10 year olds would totally be smoking our asses in Jr. Dragsters. Thats it !! Mike you should build yourself a Front engine Jr. Dragster! Jr.150. that would be perfect for you!

6. Dude.... I did'nt know you were there? Fugggg, say hey next time. I lost your # and was trying to get your help the last week as you offered to help. Sorry I missed you. We were running around like chickens with are heads cut off. We'll get it together... promise!

7. We have a girl lined up, but she couldn't make it... she is hot! We had a back up boy as well, also hott, but he thought a BBQ was more important...oh well, he is done.

Trust us.....we have it all coming for you... you couldn't understand the pressure.

I have been doing all of this for free as I said I could do this.... try working 16 to 18 hours a day for 2 months with no pay... I'm so down for making this thing happend, we'll get there, no worries peoples.

8. Please people.... just let me get it together. Your going to love it, and thank me in the end! If you wanna see hot rods with blinged out wheels, go to the car cruises....

I'll let a fiberglass Vicky in... But I won't if it has Fiero seats with speakers in the head rest, a tilt billet column, and all kinds of other billet stuff.

Let me tell you, ...that guy with the Vicky, didn't understand when he 1st showed up. Now, he went home with a giant smile, new friends, and the desire to build an old hot rod. Bet he is going to wipe up the track with me too! But I don't care... this is about fun, learning, good people.... and most importantly... a different style show then everything else in NEW JERSEY!

This week, I am not touching the old junky bar....it is good enough for now. I'll be hooking up the pre 64 area for the slicker stuff.

I have a vision, and I'm sticking to it.... trust me, it will be sweet for all of us! And I do make later exceptions on the track for cars that look like this! ....verses these!

The latter of the two is why we have the rule! Just give me a chance please. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  9. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Agreed. It would be easy for mel to let everything under the sun in, but that would make it just like every other parking lot show around. That isnt what this is intended to be. This show has the potential to make a real mark on the east coast traditional Hot rod scene for years to come.

10. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey Mel,

Good meeting ya Friday and no need to apologize the show was and will be great. I wasn't able to make the Saturday show but definitely will next time to get my burnt rubber and fuel fix.

For the first outting on a holiday weekend from my perspective things went smooth, so what if there were a few glitches. Hey it's like taking out a hot rod for it's maiden voyage, most likely you will need to tweak a little here and there before she is perfect.

On another note Cruise night in Freehold starts up this Thursday and though there is a mix of all cars there are a few traditional rods in the mix. If you can make it down it might be a good place to hand out some flyers.

Looking forward to next meet and I'm telling all my buddies about it.

Tom AKA TBone

11. Yeah man I was there. Didn't want to bother you guys. Figured you were busy. Shoot me a PM and I'll shoot you my number. Still had fun. When's the next one? Want to borrow the 8mm film of Japan Surrendering during WWII?

12. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

looks like it went real well.... good job guys!

13. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Zack, You guys should try to roll up for one of the weekends. It was a blast!!!

14. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i was only asking. not trying to argue or tell you how to run your event. i have met some guys at shows ands crusie nights, that bought cars or even built them and they were kind of stuck in the middle of street rod and period correct hot rod. i dont own a street rod, i dont really care for them, but i have nothing against parking with them. i didnt see that car in person but in the vid it didnt look sooo bad. im going to try to make it to the next one. my buddy and i have been planning a big heads up race between the 31 essex and 32 plymouth at one of the e-town cruise nights, now you have this going. any of you guys think your cars are slow??? just wait.

15. Hell yeah... race the Essex against the Ply-mouth here! That's what I wanna see.

16. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

im real busy, but ive got a hell of an oil leak to fix and install seat belts, maybe clean the carb. but were gonna try to make it. when was the last time a tech inspector saw wood spokes?

17. Yeah Zach... c'mon out! We Oilers are going to set up and early Ford show, bangers and V8's all out drags... swap meet and fun!

The track ain't sticky, so axle keys won't shear off.

18. Just got out of a meeting with the head muckety muck over at the Raceway, he was very happy with what went down. So... I got a few more surprises for the next one, June 5 and 6.

This will put another cool old time touch at the track!

and...

Any old, like 70's old local punkers remember the legendary Blue Ramp? Surprise surprise...

19. Your grandfathered in... they didn't have inspectors back then... lets race!

20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Many of you remember the Road Agents show in Conn. The reason that show was so cool (and so warm and fuzzy inside the gate) was because they had an on the spot check to make sure your car fit the bill. If not, park outside fella. Nothing wrong with being at the show and parking outside. If you're that concerned about getting the car in and parking at a car show, then you don't really get it to begin with.

Thats what Mel's goin for and I support it 100%, even though when I put my '63 back on the road it probably won't be in there Sat nights. Thats fine though, its a kustom. And half the time I get to a show, park the car, and don't even go back to it til its time to leave. So what's the big deal? He wants the show to have a certain feel to it, thats all.

21. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Will you let me in with my 36 dodge coupe..heeee

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

C'mon Mel spill the beans !! What flicks are gonna be shown ??

23. reichart90

reichart90

I'm from northeast PA - ~3hrs away from Englishtown, well 2 hours driving the '55 :D… but anyway. Where's a good, safe place to stay overnight down there. I am hoping to have all the bugs worked out of the '55 and to drive it there for the nostalgia drags on july 26th. I'll be sleeping with one eye open with the heavy chevy in the parking lot of a hotel in new jersey but where do you recommend? Also what's the best/ closest beach around there… will hafta make my woman happy and spend some time on the beach. Actually I'm gonna start by proposing "so you want to go to the beach for a long wenkend?"… haha then when she gleefully says "OF COURSE!" then I will slip in about the races.

My '55 chevy raced at englishtown from the early 60s to the early 70s by a fella named Ray McCleod (spelling?). He was the second owner of the car. It was originally owned by Lucky Strike cigerette company. It is a utility sedan, no back seat or roll down windows in the back. Ray bought it from lucky strike in '59 and turned it into a drag car. Originally it was black, at some time it was painted blue and then painted red. It was raced at englishtown and island drags.

From the 70s until 1997 it was stored in a 18 wheeler trailer at his house in PA (about 2 miles from my mom and dads house). Ray's wife came down with cancer so he was gonna sell it and everything he had to move back home to NJ where his larger family is so he and his wife could be with them through their troubled time. He sold the '55 to me, a 13 year old kid in 1997, because he knew I would cherish his beloved '55. I'll never forget rolling the car out of that trailer for the first time in 25 years, a little bit of starting fluid and he and my dad had it running. He opened the glove box and out fell a pile of old time slips onto the floor and a few garter belts. He kept the slips and the garters as memories. Dad and I drove the car home and we began making it roadworthy. My dad is a bodyman/painter by trade and he painted it for me. The rest I did. It has a 383 stroker in it (just put in about 2 monthes ago), rockcrusher 4 speed and ford 9" rear, both just installed this past winter. I hope someday to find some pictures of the car as it raced in the 60s. It would be easy to tell it is this car due to the radius of quarters and the unique hood scoops. I lost contact with Ray after that day of buying the car. I would love to spend a few hours talking about the car someday. Thought I would share the history of my car and Englishtown with you.

24. reichart90

reichart90

25. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Hey Mel and company, Looks like the first week went off well. Sorry I missed it. I rode down to DC on the Mini-bike. Good turn-out there. Next time should be even better. And maybe I'll make it.

26. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

the 55 will be safe any place around the track. it's all country folk..

27. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

yeah mike you are the guy with all the power, slicks and wheelie bars lol. You need to come!

28. furious

furious
    from Hazlet, NJ

You can park that sucker right in my driveway... I'll watch it for ya. :D

Sandy Hook Beach is about 40-45 mins east of etown. I'm about halfway inbetween in Hazlet/Middletwon area. I don't think you'll have any problems parking it at any of the hotels (not really city around here).

29. furious

furious
    from Hazlet, NJ

You can park that sucker right in my driveway... I'll watch it for ya. :D

Sandy Hook Beach is about 40-45 mins east of etown. I'm about halfway inbetween in Hazlet/Middletwon area. I don't think you'll have any problems parking it at any of the hotels (not really city around here).

30. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

red 55 wins best in show