Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Intricate carburetor gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbking, Mar 16, 2021.

1. carbking

carbking

I occasionally get a call from someone that just wants a single carburetor gasket.

With no offense meant to anyone, it is just not cost-effective for us to sell a single gasket, so have been suggesting the following to those that have a computer and a scanner:

Pick some gasket or something else, and using your computer software, scan the object and then print it.

Is the print actual size? I use Adobe Acrobat, and get an exact size match.

If you do not have software that will give the exact size, acquire it. There is lots of outdated software on Ebay cheap!

Once you are positive that you can print exact size prints, clean one of the castings, and place it on your scanner, and scan it.

Now, take a FLAT sheet of gasket material, place in your printer, and print the scan. You will now have a form to cut out (if you have trouble staying within the lines, find a five-year-old [​IMG] ). Borrow fingernail scissors from your better half (the scissors have curved tips, and are great for cutting curves). Cheap hole punches are readily available on Ebay.

And no, I am not trying to put myself out of business. If you need more than just one gasket, give us a call.

Jon

winduptoy, warbird1, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I've read that there are inexpensive computer controlled cutters that can be used to make gaskets, if you want them really nice, for a few hundred bucks.

cricut is one of them

vtx1800 likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Was just about to mention the cricut we use ours on all sorts of stuff

winduptoy likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Jim - I heard the same thing, and purchased a Brothers ScanNCut SDX-125 new for $400. plus freight. Supposedly one of the best.

The scan function is wonderful; but it will NOT cut quality gasket material. Available at a discount if anyone wants to try it. I tried for 2 hours, and it just will not cut the Armstrong N-8090 that we use. Supposedly will cut fabric, poster board, craft paper, etc., up to 3/16 inch.

My marriage sister had a Cricut. It also would not cut the good gasket paper.

Jon

winduptoy, AHotRod and squirrel like this.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

If you are a hot rodder like me that has been around too many years, you probably have several ziploc bags
    full of otherwise unused/leftover gaskets, springs, clips, balls, jets, etc. Never hurts to put it on the HAMB
    want ad and ask. Only a $1 to send, and most of us would do it for free.

winduptoy likes this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I don't know how well they work on the tougher gasket material, but I use old shell (ammo) casings as punches for small holes on softer things like cork gaskets. A .357 would be perfect for the 5/16" stud holes.

rbrewer, Tman and olscrounger like this.
  7. Funny you should bring this up. Had this issue last week with a valve body gasket on a very old obsolete forklift .
    Gasket simply was not available. I found a specialty gasket company locally that I brought the valve body to, they possibly did what Carbking is saying but very professionally done and charged me $50 bucks !!
    Cheap considering my guys bill out at close to $100 bucks an hour for shop work, $50 bucks for a gasket that’s unobtanium is cheap if you ask me, didn’t know stuff like this existed until I got desperate and started looking.

winduptoy, Algoma56 and Tim like this.
  8. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

My wife does vinyl for t-shirts, hats etc. and uses a Silhouette vinyl cutter and software. The chat group had a listing for the proper cutters for gaskets but they also complained their husbands and his friends won't leave them alone :)
    I've cut a few thin gaskets with excellent results, both from a pattern and from scratch.

Algoma56, VANDENPLAS and pprather like this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I've found the most difficult part of cutting gaskets is the inside contours, as it is easy to cut too far into the corners.
    Punching holes to start these corners is a real help. I used to use arch punches, hole punches, cartridge cases etc. to punch out the corners and screw holes, before finishing the cutouts.
    Even supposed square inside corners are almost always fine with a small radius.
    I bought a "Whitney Punch" to make these preliminary holes. Great tool, really saves time and effort and helps to make a better gasket.

Algoma56 likes this.