Register now to get rid of these ads!

International Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

After seeing a thread about a guy building a two piece head and a cam for a Plymouth strait six I got to wondering has anybody ever hoped IHC engine? are there even any dress up goodies for them? I once seen a manifold hanging on a guys wall made by Edelbrock that he said was for a IHC strait six (if that's what it really was :rolleyes:). I'm just wondering because in my engine poll http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793278 in almost 700 votes nobody had a international v8 and only 1 for an IHC strait six.

2. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I have a IHC 345 V-8 in my avatar.
    I sold a IHC OHV 2x1bbl intake manifold on eBay a few years ago.
    Kinda slim pickins though on speed parts.

3. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

One of the guys in my shop gave the Harvester V-8 a shot a few years ago, unfortunately he must have missed something as it didn't like extended runs @ 4200 rpm, lost rod bearings twice then he gave up. Years back there was a guy running off road races in a Scout sponsored by IHC, lot's of blowing shit up there too, I'm sure a dry sump and some heat management would have resulted in better service life for the race effort.

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

The 4x4 scout guys use them quite a bit for obvious reasons. Most cam places have cams for them and I've seen scouts headers and chrome valve covers. Not so sure about the intakes.. Maybe fab up a 6x2 log manifold? We have a lot of them out here running huge pumps for frost control in the vineyards. I will tell you one thing they weigh a ton! For that much weight might as well put a hemi in it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I had a 220 Silverdiamond bored 40 over in my 55 R100. The thing with these motors is the have a pretty big stroke the like to spin slow and make some decent grunt. Try revving one up and it won't last to long they just throw themselves apart redline is a low 3, 300 RPM.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

You can make your own headers, too!

Attached Files:

7. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

I have heard that the IHC engines were very tough engines. But like everyone has said they were designed for trucking and durability. Lo.w end torque minimal RPMs

Most likely a good platform for hot rod inliner but I haven't seen many parts.

I have seen several ellis 2X1 intakes for IHC inlines but intent was for trucking not hot rodding. (or maybe both?)

Edelbrock has dipped it in many facets of the auto market.

I have seen a intake by them for a 250 chevy with a single barrel carb.

Performance? I don't see how? maybe because it is lighter? ;)

you got me?

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Speed Gems;

If you know where to look, it gets easier.

Somewhat from memory &/or an *extremely* quick search. Some info may be slightly off. There's a scat-load of info at the links, although an immense amount was lost when the BinderBulletin fiasco ensued. :( .

http://www.justinternationals.org/

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forum.php?

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/20-international-harvester/

http://oldihc.wordpress.com/

+ others...

Tom, Ben, Eric, & a few others know their stuff. & will help.

There was a guy (DaveSr?) on the east coast that was using an IH SV mill for his Puller, but iirc, he finally gave up due to costs/hp & the final limitation(s) of the IH head ports, & went to aftermarket Chev-type mill. Somewhere I have his name, email, & a short vid of him pullin'. That mill was screaming at over 7k+, & the sound would send a shiver up your spine. For those that don't know, the IH SV 392 was rpm redlined @ ~ 3600, minor additions like valve springs might net you another 1k. However, IH's redline = foot-to-the-floor-fully-loaded-truck(2Ton+)-all-day-long. Torque was something like 500 lb-ft at ~ 1500 rpm -> redline.

Last I heard, there was some work done on piston swapping (different brands, etc) to help keep the cost down from spl made slugs. Also one man had made up a batch of Alum 4bbl manifolds, although I can't remember if they were copies of the stocker, or not. There is/was a trannie adapter for a 700R4, although rather expensive. Bendsten's in MN may have one also. There is/was a Mallory dist for the SV mill also, + a couple sets of headers. Crank & rods are forged. Valves high quality (iirc, exhausts = sodium filled), but heavy. Carbs can be holley, edelbrock, thermoquad, or quadrajet, depending on the manifold you get. Can also go to efi, homebuilt or any of the over-the-counter. Large 4bbl is over-kill, say more than ~ 600 cfm, unless super/turbo-charged. I was building a jig for a Datson-style street-ram manifold (uses two small 2bbls, & can be tuned for the rpm "hit" you want within a range of ~ 1500 rpm), when the IH interest waned.

The SV will rev, but not quickly. They will out pull near anything/any-make short of a diesel. They can be hotrodded, but it's usually not cheap, due to lack of belly-button-status.

Need some IH stuff? I've got lots, I can't afford to use as daily drivers anymore, & I don't do boonie-bashing, so... :( . Only 1 scout is 61/62, others are 70s', most are 4x4, so not for here, to be kind.

Marcus...

9. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have an old Nicson inline 6 manifold with 2 single barrel strombergs I picked up a while back for no particular reason. I have been told it was possibly for an International. Pretty cool I guess

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No good reason to put an IH engine (6 or 8) in a hot rod or custom. Yes they are very durable and reliable. But they are truck motors. They are heavy and they do not like to rev. People have 'built' and even raced trucks with IH motors but it's usually been because they wanted to prove that it could be done, not because it was easy to make them competitive.

So, yes it can be done but it's not easy. You have to ask yourself, what's the point?

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For some people, that is the point.

George likes this.
  12. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Yes, let's build another sbc!

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

that's why I was asking if anybody had ever made there own speed parts for one (like the guy making a head and cam for his Plymouth 6 cyl.) to run at Bonneville. :D

14. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Not traditional!!

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There was a guy posting a few years ago about an International six he was building for XO class at Bonneville. Don't know what happened to him. Never saw the car. But if somebody could run an OHV converted 32 Plymouth 4 and back that up with a flathead version of the same engine. And someone else posts here a lot about his 38 Chevy with a 6:71 blown flathead Cad that runs in the 180s on the salt. Why not a corn binder?

16. silversink

silversink

If your from LA----in Ore. that's what most of us farm boys had available in the 50s and 60s
    Ive been driving mine for 35 years

56ih likes this.
  17. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Here is an International Ellis 2x1 performance intake that I have.

Attached Files:

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I guess i'd rather see a international engine running those pumps instead of an industrial hemi because a lot of those got used for racing engines back in the day.:eek:

19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Yeah, and with a lot of those international pickups that were "put out to pasture" years ago now being rebuilt I guess you could say they are traditional.

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Here is a 6-71 sitting on top of a home made intake on a 345 IH. Borowski Race Engines in Illinois built this monster. It definitely can be done, but I would imagine the entry fee is pretty steep.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  21. 56ih

56ih

I've got an Offenhauser 2x1 for the Black Diamond 240 in my '56 S-120. Picked it up on eBay a couple years ago and I've never seen another one. I had it bolted up for a few minutes while the engine was apart to confirm it actually fits. I have glass bowls for both 1904s.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the shitty picture.

22. Mr. Zilla

Mr. Zilla
    from Florida

Amen.