Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interior question (parcel trays & door panels)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Sep 26, 2005.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Im in need of a new interior because my door panels and parcel tray have suffered water damage and exposure to the elements and are warped. When I removed the parcel tray and door panels it looks like there is a hardened cardboard material under there. Does this stuff have any special name? And is there some special place I should go to get it or should any old craft store work?

Thanks for any help guys. Im just looking for the experiance......and Im a broke high school kid and im saving for paint.

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

you can remake all of it with a trip to home depot

3. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

My wife is a trimmer. She uses Luan wood as replacement of that carboard stuff. It's the stuff house doors are made of. She got that little tip straight from Sid Shavers.

If you don't know, Sid Shavers is one of the grand poobahs of upholstery.

4. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Now that I think about it, a light wood would be a good thing, give it some weather proofing and some 1/8 foam. Then simply slap on some white vinyl. Thanks for the help everyone. No all I gotta do is find a place that sells vinyl close by and thatll take no time at all.

5. blktopbandit

blktopbandit

plus, with the luan you can staple and stretch alot easier.

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

1/8" Hardboard from Home Depot

sometimes called Masonite

comes in 4'x8' sheets or smaller squares.

7. Funny to find this post as I'm working on my parcel tray myself, I had recovered the original piece with grey vinyl but was never really happy with the results. So I got a piece of sheet metal bent a lip to go behind the seat layed out the shape and then punched some louvers into it, 43 to be exact.Rattle canned it yesterday with some grey Krylon will probably install tomorrow or saturday. Can't wait to see it finished. Plan to install with the original piece below it so cab is sealed fom trunk.

Need to fab another sheetmetal piece to go behind seat as the original cardboard liner is long gone so that needs to be done later today or tomorrow. and then it will all go back together.

But I have a couple honey-dos that must get done first........

8. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the fabric section of your local Wal-Mart. You'll be surprised at what can be found! And cheap, too! Check the phone book for any fabric stores (JoAnne Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics are some of the biggies) in your area. They always have upholstery vinyls in a wide range of colors along with foam and upholstery specific adhesives. :)

9. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Yeah, masonite. We used to use that stuff for fake flooring on theatrical sets in high school. Hard as shit. It isn't the easiest stuff to cut (you'll need a saw or a hell of a good blade), but it keeps a nice edge and is probably strong enough to hold speakers, etc. without reinforcement. You can also find it in 1/4" thickness. This thicker kind is probably strong enough to even hold a window crank.

10. lgh1157

lgh1157

I got masonite for a package tray, got speakers drilled into them too, works great

L