Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interior Guru's Replaceing Seat Insert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piston Farmer, Jul 28, 2011.

1. So the stock interior in the wifes rambler is vinyl with some sort of cloth insert in the middle. The vinyl is still in really good shape however the cloth has brittled and seperated. What would be the best way of replaceing just the cloth insert?

[​IMG]

2. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Dicey at best. Best left to a trimmer. You have to take the covers off, take the seat covers apart and sew in the new cloth. That old vinyl will likely fall apart or the seams not hold on an insert job. I've done it a few times and have never been happy with the work.. Best would be to live with it until you can afford a complete recover.

3. hellcat666

hellcat666

flinttim is right, you can try to pick the stiching apart and sew in new cloth inserts, but by the time you get all the old hog rings off those seats and try and take them apart then cut panels, then sew them up then try to reattach them with new hog rings, you might as well have just gotten new ones and just done it right the first time. try newark auto they may have some pre made ones.

4. B Blue

B Blue

Did this a couple of times on my Gremlin "back in the day". Hated plastic seats, so I replaced the seat panels with cloth. Used mom's Brother sewing machine, but the design of the covers was such that the stitches did not show. Quite a bit of work, but required little talent. Be sure you use a good automotive grade of cloth. The sun will make quick work of most home interior fabrics, even the ones that are supposed to be UV resistant. If you keep the piping, it will probably require a pretty sturdy machine.

Bill

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You will probably cause more damage getting the covers off the seats so i would recommend just doing the complete seats.

6. X7 here! i did that one time on a 63' nova that i had and screwed myself because that vinyl is old and shrunken with the edges weakened. jettback50 has a machine pm him about doing some covers. gonna have to bite the bullet and spend some $$$ on interior, and what is the real kicker those killer new seat covers will make the remaining interior parts look like shit so your gonna end up doing it all.

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Additionally, a smart trimmer may not touch a partial replace such as that due to the issues listed above....

8. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Smart trimmer here LOL. I let a guy talk me into this very situation a ways back. Against my better judgment I gave in. Long story short, after all the things I told him may happen, did happen, and that I could not be held responsible for those things happening, he decided to sue me over the deal. Must have had a good lawyer, because his attorney talked him out of it. Or it could be that both judges here are very good customers of mine . LOL.