Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Interesting Documentary:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Nov 2, 2017.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Don't have time to watch the whole thing right now, but i thought i'd pass it along:
    The guy seems hard-core:
    If it's been posted before, then i apologize.

2. When he said rat I quit watching. HRP

3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'm glad I'm open minded enough to get past the word "rat", otherwise I would've missed an
    interesting video. If you watch this you'll see that his stuff is a little on the ratty side so
    what's the problem? It seems that he's doing what he wants, building what he wants. He didn't
    say things would be different if he had more dough. Maybe the producer should have told him
    to be a bit more politically (or H.A.M.B.) correct and use the term steampunk. This guy's
    building hot rods, that's what matters.

Pufff, Dooley, hipster and 13 others like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It was put together and filmed really well.

A lot of stuff these days on TV I don't know what it is with these guys but the editing is just Bam! Bam! Bam!, like they have the attention span of a goldfish and probably gives epileptics a seizure.

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Enjoyed it....The notion of building a car under the sun is beyond my comprehension, but I think I'd like to give it a try...!

6. @donuts&peelouts is apprenticing with him. See "Looking for a mentor thread"

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

He wouldn't last long in Oregon!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Well done,a real shade tree builder

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

How does he put a car together with no air compressor?

kiwijeff and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. rudestude

rudestude

I liked it other than the reference to the term rat....without getting into a big b.s thing about traditional , hamb worthy, and all the other crap that the Gods come up with I think that coupe is pretty close ,other than the more modern parts,to the way alot of the old hot rods were put together ,no fancy shops ,tools,or new parts,internet,big bucks,sure the cars were usually not as rusty because of age but alot of it depended on your location also it seamed like car owners that that lived in or close to big towns or cities built nicer and more finished cars ,not always but seamed that way, call it traditional, or period correct or whatever term you believe is the one you live by and think every one else has to be.... I bet if the parts ,tools and fancy shops that traditional builders have today were available back then alot of the guys if possible would of been using them...if your building a car to the best of your ability's and funds as long as it is safe for you and the others around you then go 4 it and have fun in your own Hot Rod.....
    By the way I'm a back yard , drive way builder , wooden frame table out side, been doing it that way from when I started at 14-15 yrs old, now 56 a few times I had a single car garage and I do believe in keeping things correct to the period of time the car is representing 50's 60's or whatever and style and I also live in Oregon...... I try to plan my welding around the rain days ......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pufff, Early Ironman, Fern 54 and 7 others like this.
  11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Thought it was cool documentary. Utilizing what he has on hand and why he does what he does is always interesting.

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His use of the word "rat" aside I think most of us can respect that he is living his life on his own terms. An interesting little film. Would love to see more like this than the overdone drama ladden bullshit we typically get on TV.

13. We are all entitled to our own opinion,mine just happens to be different than some but I'm Ok with that.

The man can build his car anyway he wants,it is a free country. HRP

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  14. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

My air compressor is used to pump up tires, that's it. Oh wait - my neighbor uses it to inflate his kiddie pool once a year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jugornot and rudestude like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

A compressor is handy for making a car look nice. Not really necessary for building a car.

16. Funny how a lot of people here drool over Chip Foose and his CNC Donks, but a guy without a pot to piss in, living on his wits, building cars with hand tools in the dirt of his alley isn't "traditional" enough for this site, where a lot of members build gold chainer street rods. Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. saltracer219

saltracer219

Ok, I watched it, not impressed. It is one thing to make due with what you have, but it DOES NOT COST ANYTHING TO TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK. look closely at his welds and chassis construction, I was doing better work than that when I was 15 years old. I for one don't want to be around that crap when it comes appart. In my opinion, he belongs with the r-t rodders. When he kills someone else or himself with that junk it brings the rest of the legit Hot Rodders down to that level. We really don't need someone like that representing the Hot Rod culture.

HEMI32, Tjompen, thirtytwo and 9 others like this.
  18. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Bare bones, crusty, cool.

Jugornot, rudestude and LOU WELLS like this.
  19. Latigo

Latigo

Enjoyed the video. Bet you accuse him of building a rat rod and he just wouldn't give a rip.

Jugornot and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I enjoyed the video. It may not be a "Hamb" friendly type of rod but he builds his way, a little rough but his way none the less. If we all liked the Chip Foose caliber we'd be a pretty boring hobby.

Jugornot, rudestude and LOU WELLS like this.
  21. cool video
    "money is the biggest obstacle to finishing it......"
    or maybe sitting around making video and drinking coffee?
    note to self: blow nose and brush teeth BEFORE making a video.

Dooley, Mr cheater and LOU WELLS like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I know, I know, we all have our habits but I always wonder about people talking about not having money for those "fancy" car parts.
    The whole time they got a smoke burning (while their wrenching), wonder what parts they could buy with a years worth of cigs.

23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Great video and he is "Living His Life In His Own Time"...Thanks...

24. cool video

LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'd like to say thanks to someone for yanking my comment. You can't have too many opinions opposing the norm. It couldn't have been the photos, there was no billet, new wheels or even a chrome chain
    license plate frame.

LOU WELLS and Jugornot like this.
  26. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I liked it. Just a dude doing what he wants, how he wants, in his little hole in the wall "garage".

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

maybe. I sure find it a necessity. After I got my 1947 Mercury in 1967, my first power tool was an electric drill. My second was a tankless air compressor from Sears. Cost me $90 and yeah, it was for making the car look nice. I thought my Mercury was old but the truck I'm driving now is 58 years old.I still have the Mercury

Carlinaus and LOU WELLS like this.
  28. Not to cross swords with any of my respected betters here, but I think the word "rat" was used in it's broadest sense. Like short hand for "ratty" or "rat-ish". When I think of "rat rod" as a genre or a type, I think of vehicles built purposely with slapped on parts for shock or schlock value when other, more sanitary options are available. I don't see that in this video clip. At least the dude is using parts from his car parts stash and not from the junk yard at large, which is typically what most rat rods try so hard to do by tucking some joke pieces in the mix.
    The dude is a character and so what he builds reflects some of his personality. I see him as piecing together a puzzle from what he has on hand first and then, as he clearly stated, buying what he doesn't have second.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  29. squirrel

squirrel

The HAMB view of the word "rat" is not quite the same as the rest of the world's view of the word.

low down A, pitman, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.