Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interesting Carburetion setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mutt, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Mutt

Mutt

This is a very interesting carburetion setup by Ak Miller, for the 324 Olds motor used in his '27 Ford roadster that he built for the '54 Mexican Road Race.

Can anyone tell me why he would modify four 97's like this to replace two four barrels? Are there class requirements that limit type of carb used in the race?

Unfotunately, there was little info about the car in the article, other than a few pictures like this. It seems like a lot of work if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Mutt

2. loogy

loogy

I don't exactly know why you would go to the trouble, but it sure looks neat though.

3. old beet

old beet

In 1954, I think they knew all the tricks for 97s. 4bbl carbs were fairly new, maybe stick with somthin ya know! Just a thought...........OLDBEET

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It's purely a guess but I think the 4 bbl carbs of that time had about 7/8 bore....2 siamesed 97s would be larger.

5. CRAP

CRAP

I was just reading a Hotrod magazine from 1956 and they had the adapters to convert a 4 barrel to two strombergs. I was thinking the 4 barrel carbs back then must not have been very good.

6. That is too cool, I actually have a NICSON 2x4 manifold out in the shop for an Olds 324. Interesting to see it set up like that, thanks.

Johnnie

7. Mutt

Mutt

The WCFB was used back then, and they had a 1 5/16 bore on both primary and secondary - at least the ones for Chevrolet did. Can any of the Rocketeers tell me how big the Olds WCFBs were?

There's an incredible amount of work to make that setup - I would love to see the throttle linkage that was used.

Mutt

8. No secondaries to deal with. Al the barrels opened at the same time. I think the idea was that it was a race car and therfor it didn't need a progressive throttle.
    If I recall the Ol' Man used to talk about all your carbs opening at the same time was more responsive than a progressive setup. I'm thinking it must have been true old skool thinking.
    If you look real close at the european race cars (and even the streeters) of the same time period non ran progressive linkage. Other than the pure race tunned 4 bbls most have the secondaries separate from the primaries, just your basic self contained progressive linkage.