Register now to get rid of these ads!

Intake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

How do you get the oil fill tube out of an early 283 intake (aluminum) without f'ing it up?

2. i machined a tool on my lathe so i could drive them out from the underside

3. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Thank you sir! Any non lathe related solutions?

4. chopper99

chopper99

I got mine out by heating the intake around the tube with a propane torch (not real hot) and twisting it out by hand.

5. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Did it discolor the intake?

6. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Tried the heat trick, no dice.

7. They're not super difficult to pound in when you install them, so maybe if you can kind of rock it back and forth a little while you pull hard on it, it'll come back out.

Maybe you can find something like a large socket wrench or a large washer that will fit as a tool to hammer it back out like 36-3window did. If you could find like a large steel washer that's a little too big, you could use a grinder to grind the O.D. down until it just fits in the hole on the backside, and then use a socket wrench and a mallet or a piece of 2x4 to hammer it out.

8. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I'll give it a try. I just don't want to ruin this old intake. (Old tri-power Edelbrock)

9. von Dyck

von Dyck

Cut the filler tube off near the intake. Take your hack saw apart. Put the blade through the hole and reconnect it to the hack saw frame. Cut through the tube only in two or more places. A small cold chisel will easily remove the cut pieces. Procure another filler tube to install.

10. Would a round piece or wood or dowel work to tap it out? The above mentioned socket would work too.

11. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Worked great. Thanks for the advice. Had to take a step back, as I can be quick to grab a hammer:)

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Awww, another happy hamb ending!

13. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I'll take'm where I can Cali.