Register now to get rid of these ads!

Intake for old style 93 to 97 Mark V111 Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Chevy vett, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32Chevy vett

32Chevy vett

I just got a new intake from Full on Fab. So I can trash all that mess that comes on the D.O.H.C. 32 valve Mark V111 engine.
    And run a carburetor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. 32Chevy vett

32Chevy vett

It came with every thing I need but the carburetor.
    All bolts washers gaskets for I.M.R.S. A used set of I,M.R.S. made of aluminum. Mine was made of plastic. Cables to open butterflies in I.M.R.S.
    for second set of valves. At 3000 R.P.M.S. It runs on 32 valves for full power.
    All the holes you do not need are plugged.
    This is the engine it will go on.

Attached Files:

3. sick50ford

sick50ford
    from nor cal

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looks like a C4 Cruise-o-matic behind that puppy............what's the story on that....whose adapter?

Ray

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

i'm just tickled fucking pink for ya...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 32Chevy vett

32Chevy vett

Hnstray it is a built up C4 it came in the car with a 36" lokar shifter. The adapter is made by SFI. So not wanting to
    spend any more money then I have to, I used it. I swapped a restored 24 T four door for a 1936 hump back tudor sedan project car. The 36 is all steel with very good metal. It had a lot of new parts. Like a chassis engineering complete front dropped axle setup. I wanted to keep this. But I also wanted to keep the car all ford. So I looked for some thing with the sump in the rear.
    That is why I used the Mark V111 engine. You can buy them cheap. And they make a lot of power.
    And they are all aluminum so they are light.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I wasn't criticizing the C4..........they are good trannies, just curious about the hookup. Thanks for clarifying.

Ray

8. saltracer219

saltracer219

Well, that make two of us!

9. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Please please please stop say V111,because it is VIII.

btw,what exactly do you mean by the second set of valves don`t open up until 3k rpm? Because every single 4-valve mod motor i ever saw has 4-valves per a cyclinder that are constantly working together. They don`t stay idle until needed.

10. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

280-hp is alot of power?!?!? Most had cast iron blocks too.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Maybe the cams have different profiles? Would that work? I'm actually just curious at this point...How they would "come on at 3k"?

12. Street rod shit. Dreddy, get some sleep!

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Ok...Off to bed..it's gonna bug me all night though..:(

14. Slam 3 bottles of Nyquill, you'll sleep like a wino...

15. 69fury

69fury

280hp is pretty good for a dead quiet, smooth, mild factory 281" mill. And it's LIGHT.

4 camshafts are expensive to buy, but the factory used enough different ones, you can pick and match part #s from different models/years and come up with a good match for your needs. Degree the cams=free hp no special tools really needed

The Mark VIIIs had the aluminum TESKID blocks- that easily take 900 hp with good rods and pistons-they crank is not a problem either. A friend of mine has a 93model, nice, low and clean. but it'll rip yer head off without making a sound.

He's not into older cars, but knows those engines inside and out, and has taught me alot about them. They can be made to be attractive engines, and will make tons of power. Props for converting it to carb, for the vintage vibe...

Hot rodding is about using the bigger,better mills in the tiny, light cars. You can get IMR delete plates (or just knock out the butterflies and plug the connecting holes for the shafts) because in a lightweight, geared stick car you wont miss much low end torque at all, and having them gone will free up a touch of high end air.

rick

edit: the "coming on at 3,000rpm" refers to the IMR plates, which are butterflies that close off one of the two intake ports per cylinder- this increases port velocity through the remaining port to boost low end torque. At 3000 rpm (adjustable) they open up to let both ports feed the heads. Lots of guys play with the adjustment and more delete them with purchased plates (no butterflies) or just remove the shafts, and butterflies while plugging the shaft holes with weld or epoxy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  16. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

They don't. In the ford 4.6s the valves move all the time, there's two intake runners per cylinder one set is shut off until a certain RPM. all it does is change runner length.

to actually have half the valves shut would be pretty complicated.

Honda VTEC uses two profiles like you mentioned and has 3 followers. one for each valve that ride on the 1st profile and one that rides 2nd profile. at a certain time it locks the two followers to the center one and the valves then follow the second profile.

17. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

IMRC, Inter Mediate Runner Control...if I recall correctly. Refers to the plates and dual length runner intake design. The plates between the heads and intake contain a butterfly on every other intake port to prevent air from flowing through during low rpm...this would only allow a lower volume of air to pass through the longer intake runners in the intake. At about 3grand the valves would open (by loss of vacuum on the 93-96 mark viii's or by an electric motor on the 97-98 mark viii's and the 96-98 cobra's) The cobra intake doesn't have the dual length runner design as the mark viii's but is known to make more power. To really have a screamer you have to step up to the "c" heads as used in the terminator cobra's. The mark viii heads will make tons of power, but work better with forced induction rather than natural aspiration as they don't have a lot of port velocity...think 4v cleveland heads.

I personally would have went with the sullivan intake. You'd have to change heads...but it would be worth the power gain...and better looks IMHO
    http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/products/intakemanifold/intake4.6.htm

Of course money no object....
    http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/20369-4-6-dohc-w-custom-stack-injection-parts.html

These engines are incredible...I have 2 mark viii's and a spare block and heads. But the money it costs to build a modular ford engine is loco.

18. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Cool, I've never seen one with a carb on it. My wife drives a 95 mark viii, it hauls along pretty good. If she ever gets tired of it, I'm gonna cannibalize it :D

19. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

There was a company that offered a distributor conversion for these engines. It consisted of a MSD dist. with a new front cover and was driven off the left bank cams...I can't remember the name of the company. Looked very cool.

Before I started the tear down of my 97 mark viii it had 4.10's, a trac lock diff, cobra intake and a shift kit. The car would roast the tires through first, half of second and chirp third. I miss driving that car. I'll post pics tonight.

These motors are big though, taking up as much space as an FE big block!
    But the sound they make with serious cams and spinnng to 7 grand is friggen cool.

20. 32Chevy vett

32Chevy vett

69 fury and wrenchin hobo. Thanks for clearing up that for me. The valves all work like most engines.
    The butterflies open over the second set of valves at 3000. This is how these cars get good mileage.
    And yes these engines are expensive to work on. But you can buy them cheap. I bought the hold car for
    $500 and parted it out and got my money back. Kept the engine and trans. MSD the ignition controller
    #6011 its a plug in. Marvin at Full On Fab 702-285-7177 is the only one that makes the intake for the Mark VIII.
    He dynoed it at 400 hp. So this more then I need in a 36 ford. And if I have spend a lot of money on it
    I will junk it and put my second one I bought for $500 in. That is the nice part these engines are cheap!
    This is the car the engine will go in.

Attached Files:

21. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Yes,good highway mileage and decent in town. Took the mark viii from OK to LA and back a few years ago and averaged 27mpg for the trip. And longevity is a big plus for them too, it now has around 225k miles on it and still runs like a champ.

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

When the spark plugs launch themselves out (along w the threads) you will wish you never saw that motor

23. 69fury

69fury

if you follow the factory torque specs (and most dont) you'll never have an issue. the fix is a helicoil (factory recommended fix)

there isn't as much thread engagement from factory- if they arent torqued to spec they can launch, but my buddy has run 25lbs of boost through motors adding meth spray and nitrous and NEVER had one come loose- because he torques to spec.

rick

24. 73RR

73RR

Perhaps one of you Ford guys could do a tech article on the engine and include a bunch of photos for us 'non-Ford but interested' folks.
    Although more is always better, a horse-per-inch in any form is respectable.

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the next step ought to be some SOHC look-alike valve covers. My dear departed Mom had one, a 94, and it was deceptively quick. I had an O/T 94 Formula and got spanked by one on top end...I was fuckin pissed! My car had the fuel shut-off in the PCM and was all done @105, before that I left the guy like he was ordering take-out.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have obviously hit a wrong button on my computer as I thought I was on the HAMB.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

28. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

That would be something I'd like to read myself since we have one of these engines in my wife's car. I probably don't know as much as I'd like to about it because in the course of the 130k or so miles we have put on it since I bought it used 8 years ago, we've never had to do anything to it. It had 100k miles on it when I bought it, I ran it over to a friend's shop at about 120k and had him do a tuneup and it's ran perfect ever since.

I know it's not a "traditional" engine by any stretch of the imagination but I think it would make a damn fine engine for somebody looking for something moderately punchy and low maintenence for a daily driver build.

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Did that and they still SHOT! out along w helicoil (pissed!>:mad:)))<pissed!)

I find it very interesting that in over 100 years of building cars that&#8217;s the best they can do.

30. 73RR

73RR

Let me stir the pot a wee bit...
    Since when does 'traditional' exclude installing/using more modern parts in a hot-rod? Dare you suggest dispensing with 'bagged' suspension, after all, it is most certainly a new concept. How about all of those t-5 transmissions? or disc brakes, or electronic ignition or efi, or, MII ifs, or, or,......
    If it were not for the 'old-guys' installing one of those new fangled v-8 engines in their coupes then you would be probably driving a Geo Metro and not know the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.