Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing Speakers in '54 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I am planning putting a set of 6x9 speakers in my Belair with and amp/ipod setup. I don't want to cut into the package try or the kick panels. I was acutally thinking of using some speaker boxes and placing them behind the passenger seat in the trunk. Has anyone done this? How was the sound quality? Anyone have any sound bites or pic's? Has anyone done something sismilar without cutting anything?

2. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

I usually run 6x9's in boxes on the floor behind the front seat (you wont hear them in the trunk), a couple of 5"s in the front just laying on the floor under the front seat, and an amp/ sub in the trunk. Though it kinda sucks having speakers on the floor, it keeps you from cutting anything, actually isn't THAT much in the way either....oh and if you have the right components it'll sound killer.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

don't think 6x9 will work behind seat. when i was in my 20's i had 12inch speaker boxes behind seat sounded great for hard rock.

4. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

They will sound like dog crap in the trunk unless they are subs. I would suggest doing 5.25" in the front kick panels and wrap grill cloth over the speaker and the whole kick panel. This will eliminate the visual astectics of a speaker and look like nothing is in the kick panel and it will offer great sound quality.

5. 68vette

68vette

In my 49 fleetline, I am thinking of running 2- 4in speakers bracketed together in the orig dash grille and then 2-6.5in speakers in boxes mounted on top of the package tray.

My ol 51 ford shoebox was so much easier to build....

6. cederholm

cederholm

7. CBennett1

CBennett1
    from Sek

8. Squablow

Squablow

Nothing ruins a nice period car for me faster than a pair of modern speakers cut into the package tray. Cederholm's setup looks like a nice clean solution. Underneath the front seat along with a couple tucked up underneath the dash sounds like a decent idea as well.

I'm just really glad people are putting some thought into speaker placement. I'd rather lose a bit of sound quality in exchange for keeping the look pure. I had to redo the package tray in my '52 using some '56 Thunderbird kick panel vents to replace the plastic Pioneer covered horror that was in there when I got it.

[​IMG]

This is what had been in there. Puke

[​IMG]

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to use 2 6x9 boxes in my 55 Ford convertible so I wont have to do any cutting,I am going to use seat belts to hold them in place and will be able to move them to the floor when someone needs to sit in the back seat.

10. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Great, thanks guys for all the insight making this as painless as possible. I really like the dash idea CBennett.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The company that sells the secret audio systems sells speakers for the dash that have dual voice coils so no need to cut out the kick panels,bought one for my 55 Ford and is much better then the dual 3 inch speaker configuration I made.

12. I don't have a chevy but a 50 Ford but same problem. So i came up with this. Box speakers under dash, lots of room. Made speaker cover, grilles without cutting the package tray . Worked for me.

Attached Files:

13. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

There is no reason that the rear deck needs to be ugly to sound good. Speaker grille cloth is available most places that sell automotive textiles (like carpet, vinyl, headliner material, etc). Just make a deck out of MDF and wrap the entire rear deck in it or just make inserts over recessed speakers. It is not that hard. 6x9 speakers do not sound very good in small boxes because they are an infinite baffle speaker and are intended to have the trunk airspace as the "enclosure".