Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing rear window help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Me and my friend need to put the back window back into his '49 dodge two door this weekend. I've heard they can be tricky, we have new rubber which 'should' be the right stuff, any tips on how to put this baby in without breaking it?

Thanks!

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Never did a 49 Dodge but on the Merc. which is just rubber gasket no molding. I put the gasket on the window/ glass with a bit of Hi Tack to help hold it in place. Then a cord or heavy string in the body/roof side of the gasket, smitz it up with dish washing soap, get a buddy to help on the outside and pull the cord out ( you being on the inside ) as you work it along.
    Sometimes a plastic "Bondo" spreader helps with the areas that don't want to co-operate.

Then when you get it 99% done with only one corner sticking out the slightest bit you tap it with the heel of your hand ever so lightly and watch it fucking break.
    Ask me how I know.

4. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Are you pulling the string out on the outside of the car, or the inside of the car?

5. "watch it break"

Well that's not very inspiring. What sealant or adhesive, Hi Tack or silicone or ???

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I'm inside the car pulling the cord out.

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I use a little "Hi Tack" (weather strip adheasive )just to hold the rubber on the glass and in place while working it in.

8. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

I just did a rubber channel style window on a '61. On HAMB, someone suggested using 3M product 08509. It worked excellent. I called 3M and they told me a few local places that sell it. Think I dialed: 877-MMM-CARS (877-666-2277)

3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound Black-08509

* Non-hardening, pliable, water-resistant, medium-bodied sealer for sealing auto seams and between windshield rubber and car body.
    * Can be used as a supplementary sealer for auto glass installation.
    * Remains permanently soft.
    * Has non-sag consistency for vertical and overhead applications.
    * Cleans up with a dry rag. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->